No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you choose your character names?

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    I read this out-dated cod psychology and I think of the stormtroopers Obi Wan fucks with upon arrival at Mos Eisley.

Fortunately, I don't believe the general public to be as gullible. Hence the likes of Martin Riggs, Tony Montana, Marcellus Wallace, Harry Callaghan, John McClane, Sarah Connor, Kyle Reese, Michael Myers, Jason Bourne, Walter Neff, Joe Gillis, Jules Winnfield, Ray Stanz, Peter Venkman, Ellen Ripley, Dwayne Hicks, William Hudson, Jenette Vasquez, John Ryder, Martin Brody, Marty McFly, Emmet Brown, Andie Walsh, Phil Dale, Claire Standish, Andrew Clark, John Bender, Ash Williams et al.
    Quit being a troll. If you don't have anything helpful to say, do what everybody else does and click 'Next topic.'
    scribbler screenwriting blog-o-zine - Celebrating its fifth year of bloggerdom!

Download a copy of Screenwriting Down to the Atoms : The Absolute Essentials Edition completely FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
      this'll sound stupid but I will use a bunk name until the character tells me what it is.
      I let one of the OTHER characters tell me what that character's name is as I can never trust my characters.

Once I had a character named Eugene who kept on insisting his name was Kirk. (He was such a liar.)

John August suggests not to repeat first letters in your names. Leads to a less confusing read. That's a good suggestion. Check your scripts and you might notice our attachment to a certain letter.

And just remember -- character names can/will change once the studio (and clearances) gets involved so don't sweat it.

And I do not use names like Steve Stoanhard or Kelly Fistykuffs - unless it is a parody.
      Sincerly,

the giantELF

(The writer is Robert -- the company is giantELF)

Comment

Originally posted by SCRIPTMONK!!! View Post
        Quit being a troll. If you don't have anything helpful to say, do what everybody else does and click 'Next topic.'
        Not sure about your troll comment -- I though Shadow's opinion held water and was merely a rebuttal to your comment.

But a post signature advertising your book and bloggersite? Bad form. I would question anything you had to say more so.
        Sincerly,

the giantELF

(The writer is Robert -- the company is giantELF)

Comment

This all very much depends on the type of story you're writing. I mean, characters in Star Wars and characters in Goodfellas are going to have names so far removed they feel like they're from different worlds (wink).

I write grounded-thrillers, mostly. Some action. Always very character-focused. And because of that, I try to create characters that feel like real people -- the kind of people you may run into on a subway and recall that interaction over dinner: "You wouldn't believe the guy I ran into this morning." That sorta thing.

As a reader/viewer, I'm more likely to believe an Andrew Clay could really exist than a Sunray Settlemire, or some other fantastical name.

But that name could very well slip into a new Star Wars film and cause no one to balk when it's uttered.

If it were in Goodfellas? Not so much...

Comment

I use the current list of hurricane names as a placeholder until the revising and refining phase.

Comment

Originally posted by giantELF View Post
              I though Shadow's opinion held water and was merely a rebuttal to your comment.
              Quite.

But a post signature advertising your book and bloggersite? Bad form. I would question anything you had to say more so.
              Quite.
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Please stop throwing insults at each other and stay on topic. Thanks.
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Who names their kid "Emily" these days? What is this, 19th Century New England? Get with the times!
                  If you really like it you can have the rights
                  It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Originally posted by giantELF View Post
                    Not sure about your troll comment -- I though Shadow's opinion held water and was merely a rebuttal to your comment.

My apologies to emily and everyone else for extending this; but ELF, why don't you visit the site and see for yourself before jumping to conclusions? The point is that most people come to this forum for help, and others because they enjoy giving help. If someone's opinion does not jibe with you and your response is to insult it with crude language, then you are not helping. You are trolling. The people in this forum come from many levels and areas of experience. Let's try to be respectful of all of them.
                    scribbler screenwriting blog-o-zine - Celebrating its fifth year of bloggerdom!

Download a copy of Screenwriting Down to the Atoms : The Absolute Essentials Edition completely FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by SCRIPTMONK!!! View Post
                      My apologies to emily and everyone else for extending this; but ELF, why don't you visit the site and see for yourself before jumping to conclusions? The point is that most people come to this forum for help, and others because they enjoy giving help. If someone's opinion does not jibe with you and your response is to insult it with crude language, then you are not helping. You are trolling. The people in this forum come from many levels and areas of experience. Let's try to be respectful of all of them.
                      Yeah. Let's not do anything rude like call someone a troll just because they countered your argument.

Comment

This is why we can't have nice things.
                        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                        X