Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #691
UpandComing

Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Hey everyone, hope the week is going well. It's been awhile since we had a BL-related question (heresy in DDP land ) So I've got one.

I'm just wondering about the experiences of anyone who's had an evaluation completed during holiday periods. Specifically, the week of and the week after Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you got an 8 or above, and went out on the mailing list, what were your downloads like? Did they seem lower than you'd expect? Did they pick up after the holiday period was over?

Just curious because I'm likely putting up a script that would result in this eval timeframe. My first ever 8 on the BL was published a week before Christmas in 2012, and there were handfuls of downloads in each of the ensuing weeks. I'd like to think it was sustained interest, but I think it may have had more to do with the fact that BL resent the Christmas mailing lists two more times to account for a possible slowdown in downloads.

I know the sample size for experience with this situation is likely small, but any insight would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #692
FranklinLeonard

In terms of aggregate downloads, we see a slight drop of (<20%) during the December holidays. We try to compensate for that by sending an additional email the second week of January listing all scripts that received an 8 overall or better during the previous month (basically extending back to the release of the annual Black List, which comes out the Monday before everyone goes on vacation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
Hey everyone, hope the week is going well. It's been awhile since we had a BL-related question (heresy in DDP land ) So I've got one.

I'm just wondering about the experiences of anyone who's had an evaluation completed during holiday periods. Specifically, the week of and the week after Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you got an 8 or above, and went out on the mailing list, what were your downloads like? Did they seem lower than you'd expect? Did they pick up after the holiday period was over?

Just curious because I'm likely putting up a script that would result in this eval timeframe. My first ever 8 on the BL was published a week before Christmas in 2012, and there were handfuls of downloads in each of the ensuing weeks. I'd like to think it was sustained interest, but I think it may have had more to do with the fact that BL resent the Christmas mailing lists two more times to account for a possible slowdown in downloads.

I know the sample size for experience with this situation is likely small, but any insight would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #693
UpandComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
In terms of aggregate downloads, we see a slight drop of (<20%) during the December holidays. We try to compensate for that by sending an additional email the second week of January listing all scripts that received an 8 overall or better during the previous month (basically extending back to the release of the annual Black List, which comes out the Monday before everyone goes on vacation.)
Thanks, Franklin!
Old 12-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #694
Reagan
New User

One concern I have about the pay-per-script system is that it incentivizes readers to skim material. Is there any mechanism in place to ensure that readers are giving the scripts a proper read?
Old 12-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #695
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
One concern I have about the pay-per-script system is that it incentivizes readers to skim material. Is there any mechanism in place to ensure that readers are giving the scripts a proper read?
Write a script that the reader cannot stop turning the pages of
Old 12-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #696
ComicBent

Quote:
Is there any mechanism in place to ensure that readers are giving the scripts a proper read?
Reagan, you had seven posts when you wrote this.

If you go and look at the threads dealing with the Black List, you will find lots of information on the methodology and on the policies that the service uses. I mean, really, all of these issues of fairness, completeness, consistency, objectivity, subjectivity, and on and on have been beaten to death for years.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #697
finalact4

Hey all,
Hope you're all having a great holiday season.

I just finished a first draft of a new spec, sent it off to my manager, but wanted to put it on the Black List just to get a paid review and some good notes. I don't want to allow anyone to download it as I will be rewriting it, obviously. I'd like some feedback, you know?

Is it possible to submit for a review and not allow anyone to download it? I've had a good experience with their reviews in the past.

Thanks for the advice if you have time to offer it.
FA4

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #698
kintnerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Is it possible to submit for a review and not allow anyone to download it?
If I could figure out how to get anyone to actually download my script at all, like ever, I'd pay an extra 100 dollars.

Obviously I'm being cheeky, but I'd put this concern in my top 10 list of Things To Not Worry About.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #699
Guerilla
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Hey all,
Hope you're all having a great holiday season.

I just finished a first draft of a new spec, sent it off to my manager, but wanted to put it on the Black List just to get a paid review and some good notes. I don't want to allow anyone to download it as I will be rewriting it, obviously. I'd like some feedback, you know?

Is it possible to submit for a review and not allow anyone to download it? I've had a good experience with their reviews in the past.

Thanks for the advice if you have time to offer it.
FA4
I wish I would have asked this a week ago.

I put a new spec pilot script up on BL and bought an eval and within a couple hours, my script had a pro view and download (no reviews yet). I was basically done but knew I would have a couple days to go through one last time and see if I needed to edit anything else. Oh well.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #700
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I wish I would have asked this a week ago.

I put a new spec pilot script up on BL and bought an eval and within a couple hours, my script had a pro view and download (no reviews yet). I was basically done but knew I would have a couple days to go through one last time and see if I needed to edit anything else. Oh well.
you're saying you uploaded a script and made it publicly available before you were 100% finished working on it?
Closed Thread