Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #751
FranklinLeonard
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
Read the e-mail as well. Certainly understand the desire to pay readers more due to demand. But how will this affect customers, the majority of whom get a 7 or below?

Does the increased price mean that readers will be required to get a certain number of evaluations completed within a given week? Because if customers will be paying $25 more and facing the same long waits (4-week turnaround times), I'm finding it hard to see how that's fair.
The idea is that by increasing readers' pay, we'll be increasing the number of readers who are interested in reading for us, thus increasing our capacity which will in turn reduce wait times.
FranklinLeonard is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #752
surftatboy
Member
 
surftatboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 676
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
The idea is that by increasing readers' pay, we'll be increasing the number of readers who are interested in reading for us, thus increasing our capacity which will in turn reduce wait times.
Paying the readers more is a solid move in my book -- One nod for that. I know they surely grind.
__________________
DOPE CITY
surftatboy is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #753
FranklinLeonard
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by surftatboy View Post
Paying the readers more is a solid move in my book -- One nod for that. I know they surely grind.
We think so.
FranklinLeonard is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #754
RobWriter
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 113
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

I know in the past that the Black List (Franklin) has made it clear that the brief reviews given by their readers are not full coverage or even script notes - that's how the initial price point was explained. With the reads now costing $75, does this mean the reviews will have more substance to them, i.e., more coverage-like? Or, will they remain as they are?
RobWriter is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #755
Jai Brandon
Member
 
Jai Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 511
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
You're ignoring the paragraph that directly follows that one:
Ah, now THAT jives with the wording in the previous paragraph. I feel this should be under one heading. We realize higher costs might be a problem for some writers, so here's our solution. Perhaps a bit of shuffling is in order...?

Consider:

Quote:
We understand that these price increases could have the effect of reducing somewhat the number of folks with the financial wherewithal to take advantage of the Black List website, which is a result we very much want to avoid. To address this, we will further be offering free evaluations and script hosting more frequently on all fronts.

In other words, if you want to take advantage of the site for free, follow us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Follow us on Instagram. Subscribe to the mailing list. Read Scott Myers’s blog Go Into the Story. Stop by our monthly happy hours (in any one of a dozen cities in the US, Canada, and the UK). There will be many opportunities. Please do take advantage of them.

Moreover, in addition to the free evaluations we currently offer scripts that receive high scores from our paid readers, we will now offer free hosting as follows:
Paid Reader Overall 8: 2 free months of hosting & 2 free script evaluations
Paid Reader Overall 9: 2 free months of hosting & 3 free script evaluations
Paid Reader Overall 10: 2 free months of hosting & 5 free script evaluations
It is entirely possible that with the purchase of a single month of hosting and an evaluation, a script could end up in a loop of free hosting and evaluations that runs the catalog of our readers in a genre. It’s already happened once.
__________________
FADE IN:
PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
NEVER FADE OUT.
Jai Brandon is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #756
FranklinLeonard
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWriter View Post
I know in the past that the Black List (Franklin) has made it clear that the brief reviews given by their readers are not full coverage or even script notes - that's how the initial price point was explained. With the reads now costing $75, does this mean the reviews will have more substance to them, i.e., more coverage-like? Or, will they remain as they are?
They will remain as they are. It was quite clear from the relative demand and supply that they were underpriced, thus the increase.
FranklinLeonard is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #757
FranklinLeonard
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai Brandon View Post
Ah, now THAT jives with the wording in the previous paragraph. I feel this should be under one heading. We realize higher costs might be a problem for some writers, so here's our solution. Perhaps a bit of shuffling is in order...?

Consider:
You're entitled to your opinion. I obviously disagree.
FranklinLeonard is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #758
Dingo_Pug
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 67
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

The changes make sense generally - given delays in reviews. I would add that people shouldn't have to pay to host while they are getting a discounted read due to an outlier review.

This will likely not be a majority opinion, but I'd be amenable to opening up the standards for readers - at present they need a year as a 'real reader' (not intern) and then someone at BL evaluates some of their coverage. Frankly, I've had more thoughtful and thorough reviews of my scripts at zoetrope for free by people who have never read for a production company. If BL is evaluating their sample then I'm not sure that the firm one year rule is necessary. This would greatly expand your pool of readers. It might also make sense to *not retain* those readers whose reviews are regularly not in step with other reviews of the same script.
Dingo_Pug is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #759
FranklinLeonard
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 931
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo_Pug View Post
The changes make sense generally - given delays in reviews. I would add that people shouldn't have to pay to host while they are getting a discounted read due to an outlier review.

This will likely not be a majority opinion, but I'd be amenable to opening up the standards for readers - at present they need a year as a 'real reader' (not intern) and then someone at BL evaluates some of their coverage. Frankly, I've had more thoughtful and thorough reviews of my scripts at zoetrope for free by people who have never read for a production company. If BL is evaluating their sample then I'm not sure that the firm one year rule is necessary. This would greatly expand your pool of readers. It might also make sense to *not retain* those readers whose reviews are regularly not in step with other reviews of the same script.
1. You're receiving a discount not because an evaluation is an "outlier." You're receiving a discount because we recognize value in acquiring more information about scripts who elicit divergent opinions.

2. Not going to happen.
FranklinLeonard is offline  
Old 04-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #760
Dingo_Pug
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 67
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Fair enough :-) just a suggestion.
Dingo_Pug is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker