Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #881
lbs101
User

Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

My Non-unique DLs count keeps going up... every two days this number increases. The reader & pro downloads are fixed, and I haven't ordered an evaluation in over 3 weeks.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea what it means (if it means anything)?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #882
liverbird
User

Non unique downloads are when a reader/pro who originally downloaded your script downloads again on to phone/ipad or any other device. I once had a reader download my script three times, which gave me one reader download, and three non unique.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #883
lbs101
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
Non unique downloads are when a reader/pro who originally downloaded your script downloads again on to phone/ipad or any other device. I once had a reader download my script three times, which gave me one reader download, and three non unique.

Sure, that's what I thought. I've had a handful of pro downloads, but someone has downloaded it more than 13 times. That's why I'm puzzled.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #884
Cooper
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbs101 View Post
Sure, that's what I thought. I've had a handful of pro downloads, but someone has downloaded it more than 13 times. That's why I'm puzzled.
This actually happened to me, too, though only 9 times BUT I got to ask the reader who did so (an assistant at a management firm) why he did so and he said he'd read a couple of pages, get interrupted, go back to it, go to lunch, go back to it, get interrupted again, go back to it, get gas on the way somewhere and while waiting for a fill-up, read a few pages -- repeat. There went my fantasy of a reader being so enthralled he/she couldn't put it down. But that's more the reality of a busy assistant -- a few pages snatched here and there. He told me the fact that he kept going back to it was the key -- most of the time he said he never got past the first ten pages of a script before tossing it back and looking at something else. He said he never reads anything straight through unless he's asked for development notes by his boss.

So, I think you should take the non-unique downloads as a good sign!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #885
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermet Key View Post
Congrats, Lauri.

Unfortunately even though my script has been listed as one of the top unrepresented horror scripts on the site since I had it evaluated I have not received any notice regarding the shortlist.
It's not based on whether you're on the top list. The selection process for the most part is based on the ratings you receive. In most cases Black List creates and submits the short list to the organization hosting the opportunity. You'd have to look at each one's submission policy individually, because it can be worded a little differently.

Also, keep in mind that you're not just up against other unrepresented writers, you're up against all writers who qualify-- that means represented writers, too.

If you look that the top list for the year, there is a writer with 101 ratings-- crazy right? The Time Traveler's La Ronde has 9 ratings, but three of them look to be 10s. And one of those 10s is from a Black List paid reader. That's pretty impressive. The same script received a 4 as a rating, too.

I have three scripts on the top lists, too. But if people don't rate them, or download them, I'm not sure what the overall chances really are, you know? I wish you good luck Kermet Key.

And congrats again, Lauri.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 09-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #886
LRic54
User

Just curious, how common do people get pro downloads and good ratings (IE, a pro download and an 8 rating) with no contact?
Just wondering.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #887
UpandComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRic54 View Post
Just curious, how common do people get pro downloads and good ratings (IE, a pro download and an 8 rating) with no contact?
Just wondering.
I got 14 downloads for my script that got two overall 8s and two overall 7s in late spring. They didn't occur within a short timeframe -- they've happened steadily over the last few months, averaging about 3 a month. No contact yet. I've rationalized it by noting that it's rather dark in nature. I'm hoping some of the more recent downloaders will realize what a gem they have on their hands and get in touch before the year ends, but not holding my breath : )

This is why I always make sure to utilize other channels beyond the BL. You can get a lot of downloads that lead to nothing. So I've entered contests and placed, pitched it on Virtual Pitchfest and gotten reads, etc. With all that said, the BL got me a lot of exposure, so I'm grateful for it.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #888
Phoenixman78
User

I wouldn't put all my eggs in the Black List basket just like I wouldn't any other. I think the price is high for what it offers and you have zero idea who's evaluating your script. The success rate on there would be less than .5% and unless you're prepared to pour money into it your script probably will get zip attention. I'm trying a different approach this year and I've had more success than I had with BL or comps or VPF or any other online gambit. The BL has it's place but it's not a holy grail.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:17 AM   #889
LauriD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixman78 View Post
I wouldn't put all my eggs in the Black List basket just like I wouldn't any other. ..... The BL has it's place but it's not a holy grail.
Well, yeah. I don't think anyone has ever suggested putting all their eggs in any one basket, including the BL. Nor has anyone ever suggested it's the holy grail. So who are you trying to convince?

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:17 AM   #890
Phoenixman78
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriD View Post
Well, yeah. I don't think anyone has ever suggested putting all their eggs in any one basket, including the BL. Nor has anyone ever suggested it's the holy grail. So who are you trying to convince?
I'm not trying to convince anyone so you can untwist your panties and calm your farm. There's always people bitching on here about the BL, which I myself have done in the past, but they seem to think it's going to be their break into the industry which it has been for some people but for the vast vast vast majority it's resulted in nothing but a lighter bank balance.
Closed Thread