Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me make an important decision!

Okay so I have been query for the last 5 or so days.

Currently about 19 people are reading it. Some of them are at Willam Morris, Anonymous Content, Benderspink. Some are agents, some are managers. Some are manager/producers.

So far only one person, a manager, has read it and responded. He's calling me later today and I think he will offer to rep me. Which is great.

But do I agree to it immediately or should I wait to hear back from the other people reading it.

I don't want to p!ss the guy off and leave him hanging. But then again it is still early in my query process so should I wait?

Or should I stop being so stupid and jump at the chance to be repped.

I guess I'm asking if one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, if you see what I mean.

I don't know what to do.

Re: Help me make an important decision!

If you have that many people at those shiny places reading and are pretty sure an offer from the first person who responds is pending, the "stupid" thing to do would be to sign with him outright. Tell him you've got some other reps reading and possible offers in the works so you want to hear them all out.

If he gets pissed, he's a tool. If you do indeed have the goods and are getting reads at top agencies, make him sell himself to you. If this manager does come with an offer, and then none of the others do - call him back and say you've given it a lot of thought and want to go with him... but first have a conversation about his strategy for the script, your future goals, his sensibilities, etc.

Comment

Hey great advice.

I'm just trying to stay level headed in all of this.

Just because I have convinced one person at William Morris, One at Benderspink, one at Anonymous Content, etc to read my script, it doesn't really mean anything, does it?

I mean, even if they do bother responding, they may all hate the script, or at least not feel that it is appropriate for them.

Just because one guy (who happened to be the first guy) read my script and loved it, doesn't mean that everyone else will, does it?

What if I wait to hear some of their reactions and none of them are good. Do I then crawl back to this first guy and say "everyone hated it, I'm now ready to be signed up with you". ?

I just don't know.

Comment

Hey Fanatic. I understand your concerns; I'm in a similar place. But remember -- this is a good problem to have. I think Big Lips is totally right. Resist jumping on the first offer before you've heard back from the others -- or at least enough of them to get a sense of the direction things are headed in. There are diplomatic ways of handling this and any true professional will respect your need to take your time and consider all your options before making a decision that could have significant consequences for your career. If they don't, you probably wouldn't want to work with them anyway. Of course, as a new writer, your impulse is to grab the first thing that comes along, for fear of losing out completely. But if you're getting this many reads from top companies, odds are that you're onto something and will end up in a good position. All of this should give you more confidence heading into your call with the first manager. As BL said, let him sell himself to you. Just don't lock yourself in. If the other things fall through, you won't have to "crawl back" to the first guy and say "everyone else hated it." All you'll have to say is, "I've given it some thought, and I've decided that I'd really like to have you represent me." Which would be the truth.

Good luck!

Comment

Just tell the 1 manager that you are having some meetings and you will be make a decision in the next week or two. Reps experience this all the time.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Michael
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

@Fanatic on Film: Did you get the notes I sent you on your script? I never heard back from you after emailing you the PDF. You did say "tear it to shreds..." Anyway good luck!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
              Just tell the 1 manager that you are having some meetings and you will be make a decision in the next week or two. Reps experience this all the time.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Michael
              Seconded, as well, the rep's reaction is a nice litmus test. If they handle it with class instead of becoming defensive or tearing down the other people, that's a good sign.

Comment

Through email he says he understands my dilemma, as he himself has been in this position. Yet he says that telling reps like him, that i'm waiting on the possible options/offers of other reps can turn people off.

He also has a lot of notes to give me on my script, and he says he doesn't want to give me too many in case I do go with someone else.

I can see his side of the argument.

But like I said, the guy is the real deal and well respected amongst most people here. Not heard a bad word against him yet.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post
                  Through email he says he understands my dilemma, as he himself has been in this position. Yet he says that telling reps like him, that i'm waiting on the possible options/offers of other reps can turn people off.

He also has a lot of notes to give me on my script, and he says he doesn't want to give me too many in case I do go with someone else.

I can see his side of the argument.

But like I said, the guy is the real deal and well respected amongst most people here. Not heard a bad word against him yet.
                  It shouldn't be a turnoff. It's an extremely important decision to make. I mean, you want this guy in charge of your career. It's not like an agent.

Just ask him to hold off on the notes but you definitely appreciate his interest and enthusiasm, you just want to make sure you cover all your bases to find the right fit.

Comment

Got your PM FOF thanks.

So did the Manager say he wants to rep you on this project? Did he say he wants to rep you as a writer? Or did he say he wants to give you notes and then see the new draft before he reps you?

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Who is the manager? What is his rep?
                      http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X