Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screenplay vs. Novel

Well, these people who "novelize" are real pros. Some are even real novelists who produce more serious work. A lot of us moonlight in one way or another.

I've done paid work for private schools writing school histories or putting together text for fundraising materials (because I was on the board of trustees at two different private schools and know the ground rules; plus, I can write). My name isn't on the work, but it is on the check.

Novelizing movies is a special skill, really. And from all accounts it isn't as easy as it sounds. If you want to break into it it's useful that you've published a book or two.

Comment

I'm not hip to novels right now. Novella maybe. I just want these short stories published. Love description, setting, and the freedom of volume with them, but can't lock in right now. I'm banging that .05 street slut, Short Fiction right now.

I'll donate the earnings to the Hungry Writers of America Association. Got to start building that name.

Projects that require a long period of time in that 'deep devoted' frame of mind-at this point anyway-are going to get cheated on early and often.

How long did your first take? How many did you pen before that first?
      sigpic

Comment

Time for me to quit farting around and get back to work. I'll read your answers tomorrow, Jake.
        sigpic

Comment

I wrote 12 novels before my first novel--really my 13th--was published. Each of the first 12 took a year apiece; my first published work took me five weeks flat. By then I must've figured it out.

Since then each novel has taken me anywhere between 12 and 24 months to complete.

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
          I'm not hip to novels right now. Novella maybe. I just want these short stories published. Love description, setting, and the freedom of volume with them, but can't lock in right now. I'm banging that .05 street slut, Short Fiction right now.

I'll donate the earnings to the Hungry Writers of America Association. Got to start building that name.

Projects that require a long period of time in that 'deep devoted' frame of mind-at this point anyway-are going to get cheated on early and often.

How long did your first take? How many did you pen before that first?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
            I wrote 12 novels before my first novel--really my 13th--was published. Each of the first 12 took a year apiece; my first published work took me five weeks flat. By then I must've figured it out.
            What took you so long?

Friend of mine finished one novel over 5 years and got a 4 book deal from a major publisher off of it. Her first book comes out in June.

Then again, she's hot, so maybe Jake's theory about pretty faced writers is true.
            http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
              What took you so long?

Friend of mine finished one novel over 5 years and got a 4 book deal from a major publisher off of it. Her first book comes out in June.

Then again, she's hot, so maybe Jake's theory about pretty faced writers is true.
              What took me so long? Spending five years on a novel? If I did that I wouldn't have five titles already published. A long apprenticeship=faster writing.

A four-book deal sounds like she's writing in a genre. That's rare (and usually unwelcome) in literary fiction. Most writers in my category take it one at a time and enjoy their freedom.

Comment

What do you write, Jake?
                sigpic

Comment

I'm in that category known as "the literary novel", which basically means my work doesn't fit into any category. On the high end of it you have Philip Roth, Don DeLillo, Thomas Pynchon, et al., though my work also has one foot in the thriller/mystery category, which is why I'm sometimes reviewed there.

I'm currently in very preliminary talks to do something very different--a memoir, which of course these days is a lucrative genre that has nearly overtaken the novel in terms of popularity.

Comment

What took me so long? Spending five years on a novel? If I did that I wouldn't have five titles already published. A long apprenticeship=faster writing.
                    Well she wrote the first of her 4 assignment books in 6 weeks. Her original novel is the one she took her time with.
                    A four-book deal sounds like she's writing in a genre. That's rare (and usually unwelcome) in literary fiction. Most writers in my category take it one at a time and enjoy their freedom.
                    Yep, she's writing in a genre and already has guaranteed sales of 35,000 copies pre-publication. Advance press is excellent on the 2 installments she's written so far.

Comment

I'm currently in very preliminary talks to do something very different--a memoir, which of course these days is a lucrative genre that has nearly overtaken the novel in terms of popularity.
                      The best selling memoirs are awful kinky.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine66 View Post
                        The best selling memoirs are awful kinky.
                        Jake has a hell of a past. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
                          Jake has a hell of a past. Trust me.
                          Good. Can't make this crap up anymore or you get nailed by Oprah.

Comment

I'm already having to change the names to protect the guilty.

Comment

My favorite of Jake's scripts is based very much on a set-up that comes from his real life ... and it's a thrill ride.

Comment

Wait a minute, Hairy. I've written only one script that's directly based on personal experience. And that dealt with drug-dealing. Is that the one you mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X