Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Plot Point One
New User

Default What Do You Do When You Get Voicemail?

What should I do if I call to speak to the assistant to the story editor at a prodco and instead of getting the assistant I get the story editorís voicemail? I figured I had three choices:

1) Leave a message that I would like to pitch to him and that I have an attorney who would submit the script for me if heís interested. Iím sure the odds of him returning my call are pretty slim.

2) I could just go ahead and leave the pitch on his voicemail and never be sure that he actually listened to it.

3) I could hang up and try again later.

I chose #3 because I didnít want to screw up. I know that some of you on this board are on the receiving end of these types of calls. Can you please advise me on what I should do in this situation and how you generally handle this type of voicemail at the other end?
Plot Point One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
writerman

Default Re: What Do You Do When You Get Voicemail?

I tend to studder and swallow my tongue...then choose option number 3.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Geoff Alexander

#3, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot Point One View Post
What should I do if I call to speak to the assistant to the story editor at a prodco and instead of getting the assistant I get the story editorís voicemail? I figured I had three choices:

1) Leave a message that I would like to pitch to him and that I have an attorney who would submit the script for me if heís interested. Iím sure the odds of him returning my call are pretty slim.

2) I could just go ahead and leave the pitch on his voicemail and never be sure that he actually listened to it.

3) I could hang up and try again later.

I chose #3 because I didnít want to screw up. I know that some of you on this board are on the receiving end of these types of calls. Can you please advise me on what I should do in this situation and how you generally handle this type of voicemail at the other end?
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Plot Point One
New User

I was kicking myself for a while because I thought I had made the wrong decision. Looks as if I'm in good company. I'd still like to know what the people at the other end of the voicemail think about how it should be handled.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Mandrake
User

Two words:
#3.

Unless they know you and will want to return your call in which case you can say "This is Henry Potter, please have Peter Piper return my call." But if you are that well known to them you usually have numbers which get answered anyway.

M.
(Weak area: math)
Old 07-31-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
InDeep

Suggestion that's worked for me:

Change the last digit of the phone number - to anything. Get in touch with anyone and ask if your contact is in today, on the phone, or what, or when the best time to reach her may be. If you can, give it a little, "If you see him/her, tell her that [your name] called and that I'll be in touch?"

That's gotten me around voicemail and to the right person on at least 4 occassions.

Success,

InDeep
InDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Plot Point One
New User

Oh, I like that!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Jcorona

Most of the time I do hang up and try later. But I have gotten called back a few times.

And if you do decide to leave a message and get called back, please be ready and not shocked, unlike dumb-a$$ here.

Corona
Jcorona is offline   Reply With Quote