Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
beerbeastredux

Default Sony Pictures Pitch policy is CRAP!

At least...for animators it is. See, for the last 80-some years, most ( if not all ) movie ideas from animation studios came from actual ANIMATORS.

Recently, I had my agent arrange a pitch for Sony Pictures Animation. We sent the script and presentation materials, and waited.

....and waited....

....and waited....

Then after about 4 months we decided they'd had quite enough time and contacted the studio rep. ( who shall remain nameless ) She told us, "We'll get back to you regarding this matter very soon."

"Soon" meant another 2 months. When we finally called them AGAIN, they told us they were legally UNABLE to take any pitches from writers who were not represented by the top 3 agencies in Hollywood. You know, the "best-of-the-overrated-best" They couldn't even be bothered to take the time to make one simple phone call to tell us this was the case.

Sometimes, I really really hate hollywood. But I'm not the only animator/writer who has had this kind of trouble. BRILLIANT projects go by the wayside while "meh" projects get produced in droves. Gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Any similar experiences? ( from animation or live-action? )
beerbeastredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Geoff Alexander

Default Re: Sony Pictures Pitch policy is CRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeastredux View Post
At least...for animators it is. See, for the last 80-some years, most ( if not all ) movie ideas from animation studios came from actual ANIMATORS.

Recently, I had my agent arrange a pitch for Sony Pictures Animation. We sent the script and presentation materials, and waited.

....and waited....

....and waited....

Then after about 4 months we decided they'd had quite enough time and contacted the studio rep. ( who shall remain nameless ) She told us, "We'll get back to you regarding this matter very soon."

"Soon" meant another 2 months. When we finally called them AGAIN, they told us they were legally UNABLE to take any pitches from writers who were not represented by the top 3 agencies in Hollywood. You know, the "best-of-the-overrated-best" They couldn't even be bothered to take the time to make one simple phone call to tell us this was the case.

Sometimes, I really really hate hollywood. But I'm not the only animator/writer who has had this kind of trouble. BRILLIANT projects go by the wayside while "meh" projects get produced in droves. Gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Any similar experiences? ( from animation or live-action? )
You know, I just have to chime in that a lot of these F*uckers at the studios think that their being on the lot means they deserve to be on the lot and they can therefore be major, pompous asses. And, when it comes right down to it, they can't even budget a movie, in fact, if you put a gun to their head and they had to *make* a movie or die, they'd be f*cked. Let's just say I've had this experience at Sony recently
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
beerbeastredux

Right. i understand all the legal mumbo jumbo. But this is taking self-protectionism to a ridiculous level. it's bad enough the trend these days is to ONLY make movies based on some previous published material, such as children's books or novels. They've gone out and optioned damn near any new children's picture book, but they won't take pitches from animators/writers?

ridiculous!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
kidcharlemagne

I've pitched those guys in person and via email. Always had good experiences.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Trutopian
User

Angry Re: Sony Pictures Pitch policy is CRAP!

Yesterday while searching for game companies, I stumbled upon SOE (Sony Online Entertainment). Don't know if anyone else also writes game material (handy during this strike!) but I figured: "Cool, it's a Sony site! Should be a breeze to join."

What a mistake that was! Worst damn registration software EVER, constant and very slow load screens, no method for contacting the site Admin, and no matter how many times I tried my password, I couldn't log in--this after spending nearly an hour creating a profile! Every user name was taken, no matter how bizarre; all passwords were either already in use or simply wouldn't function, and so on, and so on...

Finally got in, no idea how I managed. I decided to check out a "free" game, so I downloaded it only to discover it wasn't the game but merely the installer zip file-- the game had to be purchased, but at no point was the price stated. I tried HARD to make a transaction, but it would NOT accept my PayPal number, my Credit cards--nothing. I couldn't buy anything on a supposedly "secure" retail site!

I couldn't even find a way to resign!

Sony's pitch policy? Pfffft! I spit on the entire company. Their utter lack of concern for humans does not bode well for anyone attempting interactions with them.

Anyway...Merry Xmas and all that.

Last edited by Trutopian : 12-24-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Trutopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
beerbeastredux

I am willing to "suspend my disbelief" here :} ( to coin a phrase )

I presume this policy is the result of lawyers, not the development execs. Still, I find it terribly rude that most studios make you wait 8 months or more to tell you "We decided to pass on your project". Or worse, they seem to forget that OTHER people's time is just as "precious" as theirs is.

I'm patient, but to a point. I KNOW these people have to consider thousands of scripts a year. But time and again, I found out they had reviewed my materials months ago, but didn't bother to call me back to tell me! Sure, rejection is par for the course in this business. Unfortunately, so is laziness.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
kidcharlemagne

It took Disney over a year to pass on a project of mine. Sony were prompt in their response. I guess experiences vary.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote