Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #41
Ire

Default Re: The Office

I agree that this show was once upon a time "must-see TV." If you're NBC, though, and the ratings are there, why would you say no? It's like McDonalds phasing out the Big Mac. They better have a damn good replacement item.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #42
Madbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire View Post
I agree that this show was once upon a time "must-see TV." If you're NBC, though, and the ratings are there, why would you say no? It's like McDonalds phasing out the Big Mac. They better have a damn good replacement item.
Agreed. With "30 Rock" also gone, the only anchor sitcom they got is "Parks & Recreation" ("Office Lite", it should be called and I don't know if "Community" will stay or head to USA or go belly up). The thing is the network has been so frustrating in their decision-making (the Jay Leno 10pm fiasco, not giving the two-decade old "Law & Order" a nice swansong, trying to "extend" the mojo of past hits likes "Seinfeld" and "Friends", which, to me, were...for lack of a kinder word...white-breaded, and undermining the cult hit "Chuck", etc.), I don't want to watch the network, despite having "SVU", "Hannibal" and "Revolution".

And things are not getting any better since Parker Posey already went AWOL on her new show for the network....jeez....

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #43
Dr. Gonzo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
and I don't know if "Community" will stay or head to USA or go belly up.
This quote per Gillian Jacobs... "Season 5 is alive"...

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #44
Dr. Gonzo
User

Fitting conclusion to the entire series?

Thoughts?

Gray haired Michael Scott?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #45
Mr. Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Fitting conclusion to the entire series?

Thoughts?

Gray haired Michael Scott?
I thought there were some very funny moments that reminded me of how funny the show used to be.

The general feeling I got was kind of bittersweet that it was over. The show has really suffered without Steve Carell and that becomes even more obvious when you see the clips of his antics or when he shows up for his brief scenes. But even though it's been average to weak for the past few years (aside from Dwight's storylines which were always high quality funny), I still didn't really want it to end. So, it was kind of like saying good-bye to someone in hospice that you had a lot of fun with back in the day.

As far as "FINAL EPISODES" goes, I don't think The Office finale will rank up there with some of the most memorable of all time. But it went out sort of documentary/real life style where a big reveal or some other climactic moment would seem out of place and fake. I was sort of expecting a MASH style "Good-bye" shaped out of paper boxes or some other final event like that, but I guess the point was that these character's lives keep on keeping on after the cameras are gone.

The only character resolution I thought was kind of stupid was Erin finding her parents. Andy's was played kind of weird as well. And I never cared about the sports marketing job stuff because it was never clear what exactly it was that they were doing or how Jim could go in and out of it, but I guess that doesn't matter since it wasn't really the point. Creed has always been my favorite character, so I loved his whole story.

Obviously, they went for "touching" in the end which is understandable since that's kind of a hallmark of the show, but in reality, at least to me, the show would usually just miss on the sentimentality that they were going for (although sometimes they would definitely nail it--usually involving Michael Scott or Jim/Pam romance). Could they have done something or shown certain clips to put a lump in my throat? Honestly, they probably could have, but for whatever reason, the finale didn't quite get me there, although I can understand if it did for others.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #46
MoonHill
User

It was touching.

that's what she said.
MoonHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #47
Dr. Gonzo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earth View Post
Creed has always been my favorite character, so I loved his whole story.
You and me both... and he got the last laugh of the entire show, being hauled off in handcuffs.

By the way, that song he sang at the end, was that one of his real songs from back in the day?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #48
Mr. Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
You and me both... and he got the last laugh of the entire show, being hauled off in handcuffs.

By the way, that song he sang at the end, was that one of his real songs from back in the day?
Back in the heyday of The Office, co-workers and I would sit around and talk about the show and inevitably something like "What character in our office is most like the characters in the show" would come up. I always knew I was more like Creed, but that's not something I could ever admit out loud in a work environment...which I guess is also very Creed-like. I loved it when he was trying to remember his job title. And his Wiki page is absolutely hysterical.

I was reading other reviews of the show and I think it was one of his old songs. At the very least, it was his original song.

I've also read how the finale really made some people tear up and particularly with Erin's parent thing, so maybe I'm just a jaded old coot. I never particularly liked Erin's character, so that could be part of it, but I never really cared for Nellie either and I found her character resolution was awesome and hilarious.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #49
Ire

One of the best Creed moments in the show's history, imo, was in an episode where Michael gets the gang to play a live action murder mystery game and Creed is late to work.

Creed shows up after the game is in progress and he asks Michael what's going on? Michael tells him there's been a murder and the office is trying to solve it.

Creed nods and then makes his way to the door.

Cut to the parking lot, and there is Creed speeding off, believing he's a suspect or might be questioned or worse. Great character moment. Still cracks me up.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #50
Madbandit

Interesting enough, I wasn't into the show (as in not viewing it) until Jim and Pam became a item. I saw a lot of myself in Jim, in terms of being too smart for the job, but he had feelings for Pam. I wish I had that kind of relationship, instead of being alone nearly all the time

As for the show, to be honest, it ended very well. Some people think Carell leaving hurt the show, but the Michael Scott character isn't Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce (more like Henry Blake with more naiveness). This show's an ensemble piece, and I appreciate it all the way.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote