Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
dangerouscreenwriter
User

Default Re: Godzilla 2014 ( Teaser Trailer )

Caught the last 10 min. of the 90's version a few nights ago. I think the real downfall was it was just a giant lizard monster movie, had nothing to do with the source material.

In the originals, Godzilla was a "good guy", always protecting humanity (mostly) from the "bad" monsters. In the 90's version Godzilla is the bad guy, & (spoilers) ends up dead at the end. They totally abandoned any Godzilla lore. Not a Godzilla movie by any stretch of imagination.

I think the reason Godzilla became popular was he was a unique protagonist, and the reason the 90's film failed is they failed to engage the audience on that level, and instead chose to make just another monster movie with the humans as protagonists, which we've all seen before, ad nauseam.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Dr. Gonzo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Unfortunately I think the link is dead.

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Grandmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerouscreenwriter View Post
In the originals, Godzilla was a "good guy", always protecting humanity (mostly) from the "bad" monsters.
Huh? And you've sat and watched the entire original film or just seen the suplexes and laser beams from later instalments whilst drunk?

In the 1954 original, Godzilla rises from the mess of America's nuclear devastation to wreak havoc on Japan. It's probably the best of them all if you're looking for a real film and not the crazy, cult-junk that popped up in the '70s and '80s.

In the 1955 sequel, we were introduced to the concept of giant monsters fighting one another in the backdrop of modern cities - quite excellent, really, considering how two beasts out for blood destroy humanity without thought, as they fight one another for survival.
Godzilla certainly wasn't protecting humanity in this one, just fighting for kicks.

I could go on, but needless to say, the army promptly destroyed Godzilla once it had defeated the foe of the film, often for some radio controller to shout exuberantly, "He's melting!"

Okay, I apologise now for being harsh, since Godzilla did kind of defend Tokyo in one film from a space ship which turned into a giant monster, circa, 1995-2000 (forgotten the title), and, in what is probably THE WORST Godzilla film of them all, Godzilla: Final Wars, he was an out-and-out hero, but to claim that the original source material was a giant lizard defending mankind from other monsters isn't on.

Oh, and most of the films were indeed structured around human characters - these provided the ludicrous "dramatic elements".

So, again: the 1998(?) Hollywood version was a very enjoyable film, true to the original, but sadly, with nothing to say, nowhere near as good.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
entlassen

I have the same dilemma with this that I have with Nolan's Batman films. The Dark Knight Trilogy is exceptionally well-done but I still get that little inner voice saying, "It's just a Batman movie, so you can't take it seriously."

The question is, can inherently ridiculous concepts ever be taken seriously as drama? What if, instead of making three Batman films, Nolan had instead taken the idea of an orphan who turns himself into a symbol of justice and crafted an entirely original trilogy with his own characters? Wouldn't that have been even better than what we got?

Godzilla is going to be even tougher. The 1954 films works because it's such a simple concept that works purely on a symbolic level. That's going to be hard for the filmmakers to replicate; kind of like trying to get lightning to strike twice. What worked six decades ago won't necessarily work today.
entlassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Max Otto Schrenck
Regular

I liked RODAN better than any and all of the GODZILLA flicks.

But, alas, there was no sequel to RODAN, hence no franchise.... *

* No sooner said than corrected (courtesy of wikipedia... )

"Rodan (turns) into Fire Rodan in the Heisei film Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. Rodan's skin turned brick red. In the Showa and Millennium eras Rodan stood as tall as Godzilla but in the Heisei era Rodan and Fire Rodan stood only about 2/3 as tall as Godzilla. In the Heisei era the prominent rows of spines on his belly are replaced with overlapping ridges of bone and he has three horns on his head instead of two (the outer two curve outwards and the center curves up) as well as a wider beak and a more predatory face. Millennium Rodan looked more like the Showa version as it retained the Heisei era ridges of bone on its chest. It also had only two horns again, and its color is similar to the Showa version...."

(cont)

"Rodan has layers of spikes on its chest that can be used as a weapon. In the film Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster Rodan slammed into Godzilla at full speed and its chest colliding with Godzilla's head to send the behemoth crashing to the ground. Rodan was once one of the fastest known Kaiju but now unfortunately[citation needed] he is one of the slowest flying Kaiju in the series, flying at mach 1.5."

Impressive. So at least they incorporated the giant supersonic pteranodon into GODZILLA sequels (but never gave it a sequel of its own... ).

Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck : 10-08-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: i was misnaken
Max Otto Schrenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by entlassen View Post
I have the same dilemma with this that I have with Nolan's Batman films. The Dark Knight Trilogy is exceptionally well-done but I still get that little inner voice saying, "It's just a Batman movie, so you can't take it seriously."

The question is, can inherently ridiculous concepts ever be taken seriously as drama? What if, instead of making three Batman films, Nolan had instead taken the idea of an orphan who turns himself into a symbol of justice and crafted an entirely original trilogy with his own characters? Wouldn't that have been even better than what we got?
One man's meat and all that. Or, more crudely, opinions are like arseholes.

I gotta let you go...

'Cause now you've got to fly
(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
And flowers bloom in your name
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerouscreenwriter View Post
Caught the last 10 min. of the 90's version a few nights ago. I think the real downfall was it was just a giant lizard monster movie, had nothing to do with the source material.

In the originals, Godzilla was a "good guy", always protecting humanity (mostly) from the "bad" monsters. In the 90's version Godzilla is the bad guy, & (spoilers) ends up dead at the end. They totally abandoned any Godzilla lore. Not a Godzilla movie by any stretch of imagination.
This reminds me of that far-right Australian wannabe politician woman who went on TV claiming Islam is a country and that Jews worship Jesus.

As for 90s 'Zilla: he was an unlucky guy. Just trying to survive. They showed he meant no harm by forgoing wanton devastation to chow on freshly-caught fish.

I gotta let you go...

'Cause now you've got to fly
(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
And flowers bloom in your name
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
Bennett
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Unfortunately I think the link is dead.
Warner Bros is ACTIVELY removing the trailer from most sites.

Not sure how long this copy will stay.
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00064726.html
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
Max Otto Schrenck
Regular

Thumbs up Re: Godzilla 2014 ( Teaser Trailer )

It works! Good ole 'zilla LIVES...!
Max Otto Schrenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
Dr. Gonzo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Warner Bros is ACTIVELY removing the trailer from most sites.

Not sure how long this copy will stay.
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00064726.html
My thanks.... and a VERY interesting trailer.

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote