No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black List Score Patterns

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
    I hear you. Strong 7 from 3 readers, top list for thrillers, bam! 5 from an invisible assassin. Wait, who did that? Bam! 4. Good-bye, top list.
    Aw, that stinks!

Are users able to "hide" individual ratings from pro members?
    "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
      Aw, that stinks!

Are users able to "hide" individual ratings from pro members?
      No, it'll be included in your overall average and will show up if you don't hide the graph with the ratings distributions.

I have a script that's not currently hosted, but it's about a half point above the 1.5 standard deviation in ratings, so you guys aren't alone if your script is polarizing.

Comment

My scores both came back the same, but a few individual areas were different (ie: plot was 6 on one and 9 on the other).
        "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
          I think the solution would be that when you pay for a read, you get two people scoring. Then your score is the average of the two. However, BL would have to charge more since they're paying an extra reader.
          Or you could just purchase two reads at once if you're concerned that one read might stick you with a lower score.

Comment

and, having 2 readers evaluate to avoid such disparity would destroy the business model of providing lower-cost hosting & review. Easiest solution's what Bitter Script Reader's said, just get two reads...

A range of subjectivity will be inherent no matter what in light of the nature of reviewing scripts. Franklin addresses it quite capably in my mind when things deviate substantially outside a reasonably statistical norm.
            " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this, but what if, now hear me out, what if -- The Blcklst stopped using an overall score, and used the broader scores for characters, concept, dialogue, premise, etc.

It'll help quiet the masses as well as help those that matter focus more on what they're interested in. Although everyone would be focused on high scores in concept. But there are some who also love character driven pieces (Kaufman), and snappy dialogue ("Lockdown"). Think about those reading scripts for staffing season.

Like an earlier post stated, our subconscious minds love the 1-10 system, but on the Blcklst as well as in "The Business" a 6 overall may end up selling before and garnishing more attention than a 9 overall from the concept alone. Ever heard of rewrites?

So, don't focus all your attention on your low overall score, although those with the highest overall scores do make the email blasts, etc. So I understand where the concern stems from...
              Fiction writers are demigods among men...

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Script Reader View Post
                Or you could just purchase two reads at once if you're concerned that one read might stick you with a lower score.
                True, but my thought is this: If you get two reads, one high and one low, then you are forced to buy another one, hoping that it's high so you can get two high scores for the promotion.
                When I got a low score then another, I knew the problem was my script. If the second had come back as a 7, I would have needed another read just to figure out which one was accurate, then another month of hosting so I would have time for the read.
                Again, I realize that wouldn't work for the overall cost.
                SL35
                Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                  True, but my thought is this: If you get two reads, one high and one low, then you are forced to buy another one, hoping that it's high so you can get two high scores for the promotion.
                  When I got a low score then another, I knew the problem was my
                  You're over-thinking this. If you get an 8 on your next read, you're going out on the weekly email regardless. That alone will bring the punters in.

You can choose to just display your 8 so when punters are browsing they'll see yours and have a gander.

And, most of all, you can query the hell out of your 8. Remember, the BL is not the be all and end all. It's not a case of score an 8 on the BL and Hollywood beats your door down. You'll still have to do 99% of the legwork yourself. But armed with a decent BL score you can make that your selling point in your querying. As I said in another thread, my response rate shot through the roof when I started listing my BL score in the subject line.

If the second had come back as a 7, I would have needed another read just to figure out which one was accurate, then another month of hosting so I would have time for the read.
                  Not necessarily so. Ever heard of "quit whilst you're ahead"? Take the 7, query it into the ground - and get those you snag on a line to tell you if it's good enough or not. Send 100 emails, get 50 replies. 30 asking to read the script. 15 reply (all pass) and 5 give you an open door. That's 5 people who think you're worthy of at least a 7 and it didn't cost you an extra penny.

But, at the end of the day, you may choose to pay up but again, another phrase you may have heard of "you have to speculate to accumulate". An extra $75 can be a night out with your mates, a DVD boxset or a 9 on the BL and more keys to locked gates than you could ever imagine. No one promises you'll "make it" with a read and hosting but it gives you one helluva chance to make a go of it.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Ah, good point. I hadn't really considered one good score as a query tool. I was thinking more along the lines of working within the list with what you had.
                    SL35
                    Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

I got my review back for Tracker, a sci-fi thriller, and it's an overall 7, which is fine. I'm happy with that, because the reviewer was actually very generous with their accolades-- at least I think so. Likewise their analysis of the weaknesses are equally valid. I can now admit that some had been nagging me, but I didn't acknowledge them when I should've.

It seems it's one of those scripts that might be polarizing, because the first review came in low. I don't agree with it, but it is that person's opinion. I have to commend TBL, because they addressed the disparity before I even knew the review was in.

I don't know about you, but with a 7 I'm not gonna blast out a bunch of queries. The weaknesses pointed out are valid. I can address those weaknesses that I agree with in a rewrite. I can improve the spec. I can do better. It's a high concept spec that needs to eliminate as many reasons to say "no" as possible.

I'll make the 7 review public for those who care to read it.

But--

I'm rewriting it. And when the discounted review comes back I just might have a few more points to address.

And I guess that's my point.

My goal is to write the best ****ing script I can. I'm striving for quality. Excellence. If I know I can do better, if I can admit there are flaws--

My work as a writer isn't done.

Cheers,
                      FA4
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

One thing I don't quite understand is-- once someone gets a disappointing review, why would they pay for a follow-up evaluation for the now "tainted" script?

Doesn't it make more sense to remove the script and immediately re-host it before getting another evaluation? That way, the first review won't affect your average rating.

Other than having to pay an extra $25 to re-host, is there any downside to re-hosting before getting a second evaluation?

Comment

I don't understand how some Yelp reviewers can give 1 star to my favorite restaurant. Conversely, I shake my head at those who rave about an overrated restaurant. They are 2 stars at best. And I cannot understand why they're ranked 4.75 on Yelp.

Comment

Originally posted by figment
                            Your scores are still going to be your scores. Just because you stop hosting doesn't mean those original scores go away. The BL stores them, and if you re-host, they are still there.
                            But you can always re-host the script under a different name. Or change the name of your original script before you stop hosting it.

So why not do that before getting a second review?

Comment

I don't know why anyone would take the word of ONE reader. You get 2 or more reviews and compare. If they say the same thing then you know for sure you have a problem and need to correct it.
                              I just got a read on a tentpole action story (I know it will probably never be made). A well none producer praised it saying my characters "pop" off the screen and it was very imaginative. He wants to read more of what I have. The BL gave the same script a 3.
                              subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by AP Oz View Post
                                But you can always re-host the script under a different name. Or change the name of your original script before you stop hosting it.

So why not do that before getting a second review?
                                I don't know, I guess because it's deceptive?

Also, what happens when your script with a "new title" gets routed to the same reader who already reviewed it?
                                What happens when your same script with a "different name" gets routed to the same reader who already reviewed it?

They aren't going to hate it less, are they?

Comment

Working...
                                X