Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Software suggestions

centos, thank you, that's really helpful. I finished a new one off CELTX. It worked out fine, but I think I'm ready to try on some other software. I'll experiment with the ones you suggested and see what I liked most.

gold and kites, thanks for your suggestions as well!

Great day all.

Comment

Side question: does Fade In Pro have TV and stage script templates? I do like that in Final Draft, though the default TV template in FD8 is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
        Side question: does Fade In Pro have TV and stage script templates? I do like that in Final Draft, though the default TV template in FD8 is a mess.
        Yes, it has templates for both TV and stage. Such as they are.

Comment

Fade In has two built-in TV templates: one for a half-hour sitcom and another for a one-hour drama. It has some valuable «extras» for download, and these include various other kinds of templates, but none for all those TV shows the way FD does.

However, if you have the FD templates or have access to them, you can import them into Fade In. The import works very well (at least for Final Draft .fdx and .fdx template files; I have never tried the older .fdr format). Consequently, you can use the FD templates if you already have them. Of course, you can save them as Fade In template files.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
            Fade In has two built-in TV templates: one for a half-hour sitcom and another for a one-hour drama. It has some valuable «extras» for download, and these include various other kinds of templates, but none for all those TV shows the way FD does.

However, if you have the FD templates or have access to them, you can import them into Fade In. The import works very well (at least for Final Draft .fdx and .fdx template files; I have never tried the older .fdr format). Consequently, you can use the FD templates if you already have them. Of course, you can save them as Fade In template files.
            That is awesome! There are some FD templates I like and some I just hate, so it's good to know I can import the good ones. Does the app version of FadeIn sync well with the desktop one?

Comment

Does the app version of FadeIn sync well with the desktop one?
              I do not know about that. Fade In is available for various devices, but I do not have anything but the desktop (Windows PC) version. The website has a screenshot of a script on a handheld device.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                I have used all the major programs for Windows.

My honest opinion: Spend the $50 for Fade In. It is extremely versatile, and the programmer actually keeps it up to date and will respond when you discover a problem (yes, that actually happens, with all software).

With Fade In:
                • It has all the usual features that you would expect, and they are many.
                • Easy and accurate import/export of Final Draft .fdx files.
                • Easy and accurate import/export of Fountain files and other text files.
                • Accurate (though not always perfect) conversion of PDF files to Fade In format. It achieves near perfection with PDF files that Final Draft or Screenwriter has produced. PDF is an inconsistent format, apparently, but Fade In does very well with Final Draft and Screenwriter and with some of the other PDF producers.
                • You get free updates and upgrades.
                • It follows the philosophy of «one user on multiple computers». I paid for one license, but I have Fade In on all my computers (and I am the only one who uses the program).
                I think that what some of the other people meant, in their comments, was that a software program does not solve all your problems. You still have to possess an understanding of what a scene is and how to present dialogue through Character cues and dialogue paragraphs. I have seen people write something that was a hodgepodge of dialogue and action, all in some kind of narrative action format, and call it a screenplay.

Best of luck ...
                I completely agree with this. Just spend the $50 and don't look back.

If you are adverse to spending any money or can't afford the $50, use WriterDuet's free version. There is no reason to use CELTX anymore. The best thing about it was the price. WriterDuet is free and so much better.

If you're interested in writing in Fountain, a good free alternative is www.afterwriting.com

You can sync to Google Docs or DropBox and generate the PDF.

Comment

Celtx (free) works fine. It formats everything correctly. I went from Word to Celtx... and now use Movie Magic Screenwriter 6. Movie Magic works great. I'm glad I purchased it. But it's not absolutely necessary.

Using Celtx shouldn't cause formatting problems if you know how to use it correctly. (TAB)

Comment

Working...
                  X