Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
Bono

Default Re: Time it takes your agent to read material?

I had both manager and agent, but my first managers, were like let's try to sell this spec before we get you an agent... so that's why I have yet to totally understand why one needs an agent when if a sale comes up, you get a lawyer which is a good problem to have. I still have yet to figure out what an agent does that a manager doesn't. Not what they are supposed to do. But real world for up and coming writers, it seems redundant... you sell something or get a movie made, then yes an agent will spring into action. Maybe.

What I'm asking are your managers at all hinting, maybe we should fire the agents and just do this ourselves? Usually they defend each other... Did you ask about this option? Are they pressing agents so you don't have to be bad guy? I mean WTF really....

Were your agents quicker to respond before or always this slow?

Why does this business always suck? asking for a friend who is actually me.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #12
Mintclub
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I had both manager and agent, but my first managers, were like let's try to sell this spec before we get you an agent... so that's why I have yet to totally understand why one needs an agent when if a sale comes up, you get a lawyer which is a good problem to have. I still have yet to figure out what an agent does that a manager doesn't. Not what they are supposed to do. But real world for up and coming writers, it seems redundant... you sell something or get a movie made, then yes an agent will spring into action. Maybe.

What I'm asking are your managers at all hinting, maybe we should fire the agents and just do this ourselves? Usually they defend each other... Did you ask about this option? Are they pressing agents so you don't have to be bad guy? I mean WTF really....

Were your agents quicker to respond before or always this slow?

Why does this business always suck? asking for a friend who is actually me.
My managers have always said they don’t need the assistance of agents to take a project out to the town (and more often than not it’s hard to please the agents) but that it’s good to shop it wide with the clout of an agency behind them.

That said I do get the feeling that with my agents endorsing the project my managers are much happier.

Last edited by Mintclub : 05-15-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
Satriales
User

In my case its for packaging. The two weve taken wide-ish were without agents. You certainly dont need it but having the muscle of a respected agent making calls to augment your manager in preparation of taking something out is a nice-to-have.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #14
Mintclub
Regular

Man alive, I'm starting to fully understand that old phrase "hurry up and wait!" So my agents finally read the spec after a month. They loved it. Great news. They think it's perfect for the market. Fantabulous. Buuuut... now they wanna attach a hot director to increase its selling potential before taking it out to folks. My managers think this is a smart option. Turns out there's a very hot director on my agency's roster who is looking for this kinda script. So my agent talks to the director about the script, director likes the sound of it. Script is sent across... 2 weeks later and I'm still waiting to hear whether the director is attaching or not. It's been almost 7 weeks since my managers signed off on the spec, keen to go wide with it. Ooof this is the most drawn out process I've had with a spec before it's gone out. I've done page 1 rewrites in a quicker time! Any other DD'ers experienced something similar before?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #15
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
Man alive... 2 weeks later and I'm still waiting to hear whether the director is attaching or not. It's been almost 7 weeks since my managers signed off on the spec, keen to go wide with it. Ooof this is the most drawn out process I've had with a spec before it's gone out. I've done page 1 rewrites in a quicker time!
And every last one of these folks will want to have their input, as will the producers, and the financiers, and the other actors, and the guy who sweeps the set...

But if all works well, you can start trying to anticipate what the tuxedo styles are for the 2025 Oscars!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
Satriales
User

Quote:
Man alive, I'm starting to fully understand that old phrase "hurry up and wait!" So my agents finally read the spec after a month. They loved it. Great news. They think it's perfect for the market. Fantabulous. Buuuut... now they wanna attach a hot director to increase its selling potential before taking it out to folks. My managers think this is a smart option. Turns out there's a very hot director on my agency's roster who is looking for this kinda script. So my agent talks to the director about the script, director likes the sound of it. Script is sent across... 2 weeks later and I'm still waiting to hear whether the director is attaching or not. It's been almost 7 weeks since my managers signed off on the spec, keen to go wide with it. Ooof this is the most drawn out process I've had with a spec before it's gone out. I've done page 1 rewrites in a quicker time! Any other DD'ers experienced something similar before?
I definitely prefer going wide and blasting it out there to this strategic, calculated approach which has thus far resulted in a slow drawn out process that you describe. From my perspective the urgency around going wide is not manufactured. Ultimately a more disciplined approach is probably for the best if you've been "introduced" to the town already, but I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around. And there is a distinct lack of dopamine rush just twiddling my thumbs and writing other stuff.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #17
finalact4

Quote:
hmm... i don't have this experience, but why can't your team give him a deadline and tell him you need a response by such and such date and if we don't hear from you we need to move on and open it up to the market. or another director? i mean, there was a holiday weekend right? he's not on set is he? this director?

they work for you, right? if one director is potentially interested then others will be too. and why did it take them a month to read your spec? Time is money.

it's a consideration. no?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #18
Mintclub
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
hmm... i don't have this experience, but why can't your team give him a deadline and tell him you need a response by such and such date and if we don't hear from you we need to move on and open it up to the market. or another director? i mean, there was a holiday weekend right? he's not on set is he? this director?

they work for you, right? if one director is potentially interested then others will be too. and why did it take them a month to read your spec? Time is money.

it's a consideration. no?
All valid points and maybe they can/have. It's not something they've relayed back to me though. The director has just come off the back of a number of hit movies at the BO (grossing over a billion dollars) and has signed on to do a sequel to one of them already. No doubt there's a lot of projects being sent to him right now from producers, studios and his reps of course -- my script being one of them. But it's none the less frustrating. As for why it took 'em a month to read in the first place, goodness knows. Normally they're much quicker.