Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2019, 03:27 AM   #11
goldmund

Default Re: Can WGA Writers Work for Non-Signatories Outside US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
I have agents in the UK and the US and am based in London. Iíve been working steadily in tv and film for about five years in the UK. Iím not in the WGA but have had a few options set up stateside over the years. I currently have a new spec that my American managers and agents are about to take out. Had a coffee with my British agents the other day and they said if it sells Iíd be expected to join the WGA and in turn fire them too as they havenít signed the COC.
Are they supposed to sign the COC when theyíre not ATA?

This whole thing is messed up. Thatís why I was trying to find the script notes episode because I believe Craig Mazin had some level headed suggestions.
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Mintclub
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmund View Post
Are they supposed to sign the COC when theyíre not ATA?

This whole thing is messed up. Thatís why I was trying to find the script notes episode because I believe Craig Mazin had some level headed suggestions.
Yeah that was my initial thought. My agents said the agency held a meeting about it and werenít going to sign which suggests theyíve been asked to.

British agencies will no doubt be less keen to sign the COC though because for the most part they donít really deal with the WGA and/or its signatories. They essentially have their own industry with the likes of ITV, SKY, The BBC and countless Indy producers and European financiers. They do however deal with the 4 main agencies involved in the fight with the WGA. I guess (and itís just a guess) if they sign it they may destroy those relationships when sharing cast, directors, producers etc not just their writers. Most Brit agencies (like my own) introduce their clients to American reps at some stage (mine did with my US reps) but then they have very little input on dealings overseas. Theyíre always ccíed into team emails and still take a percentage of the deal but thatís about it.
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Are they supposed to sign the COC when they’re not ATA?

This whole thing is messed up. That’s why I was trying to find the script notes episode because I believe Craig Mazin had some level headed suggestions.
Is this what you were looking for?:

But if they hire a French writer to write something in France, no. Not only do they not have to have them be WGA, I don’t think they can. I don’t think they’re allowed to be. I think that our contract only covers US employees because of federal labor law and all the rest of it.

So, it’s sort of defined by where you are, where you’re doing the job.

Similarly, if you go overseas and write [a] movie in France, you may not be employed by a WGA signatory because you’re writing it physically there.

https://johnaugust.com/2018/scriptno...ios-transcript

Add let me add this since I reread your original post and realized I misread it.

Quote:
It's now become of my utmost interest, as I can become a current member, but most of my work is for non-signatories because I live in Europe.
You're not even a member; so don't join yet. If most of your work is for non-signatories in Europe then keep doing that for now and make whatever money you can. If the companies you are looking to work with have not agreed to anything and are not obligated to follow WGA rules including pay for pension & health, etc., what is the point in your joining? You won't get any real protection or any benefits. Right? (I don't ask that naively either.) Yes, you can brag to friends about being in the WGA but what will it really matter other than that? Join when you really need to AND know that you have more WGA signatory work lined up. That would seem to be the more "safe" way to go for now.

I'm sure I am probably missing something here, but it seems like waiting might be your best option until it's truly the right time.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 06-02-2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Clarification
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #14
catcon

But shouldn't we keep mind that the brethren and sistern in foreign countries' guilds tend or try to act unofficially in ways to support any of the individual unions that's in a fight?

It's all part of the world-wide collective effort, including how we non-Guild types in Canada (for example) can't raid all your studio work down there, either without joining the Yankee Guild or our own (WGC) up here.

At least, so I've heard.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #15
goldmund

Will; that is correct. I have confirmed with the WGA that I can become a current member but I haven’t filled out my application yet... not to mention shelling out $2500
The reason I would like to do that even though I don’t have to yet (until I get another job from a signatory) is that I’m hoping to get employed on a US feature or TV show using the online submission system that WGA is working on right now.
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Will; that is correct. I have confirmed with the WGA that I can become a current member but I haven’t filled out my application yet... not to mention shelling out $2500
The reason I would like to do that even though I don’t have to yet (until I get another job from a signatory) is that I’m hoping to get employed on a US feature or TV show using the online submission system that WGA is working on right now.
Two things.... First, I just talked to the WGA Contracts Department. They said if you join, that's it. No more working for non-signatories the world over regardless of where you live or where they are located. If some company wanted to hire you, they would have to become a signatory (or at the very least create a company that does so.)

Second, to be frank but hopefully helpful, if you are interested in working in TV I don't think you will ever get a chance to do so based on where you live and using the WGA's submission system. I don't know that system like the back of my hand, by any means, but from all I've seen and heard it's really about showrunners here in town connecting with writers here in town to hire them for shows shot here in town, so to speak. And even if you could fly into town that's a long flight and you'd have to be able to live here for months on end. You'd surely have to go through various interviews from meeting with the showrunner to being signed off on by the network. It could drag out a bit with lots of flights & money spent for little to no payoff. There are plenty of writers out here already looking for work.

Maybe some feature people are using the WGA set up in some fashion, but I have to really wonder about that. Everyone always seems to be writing, talking and/or tweeting about TV, TV, TV.

As always, do what you want, but I hope you do consider all your best options for the moment and what makes the most sense currently for you, personally.

Maybe someone who is actually right in the middle of all this for TV and/or film can comment further about how the WGA submission process is working for them and provide a first hand account.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 06-05-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Grammar
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #17
Pasquali56

On the topic of WGA rules, I'm brand new to the WGA and will call them later today, but would like to see if anyone here can answer a few questions now:
1. With regard to packaging, what if a small management company wants to represent a project or two of mine along with some of their clients (i.e. talent)? In other words, these are managers (not agents) who are looking to package and produce projects. Does this go against Guild guidelines?
2. What if I sell a spec project that I collaborated on with a non-Guild writer? How does that work - being that I'm now a Guild member but he isn't?

Thanks in advance!
Pasquali56 is offline   Reply With Quote