Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #41
Done Deal Pro
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,581
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Just to be clear. She never went through her SPAM, which is where most of the queries ended up.

I was referring to her deleting the queries that DID make it to her email inbox. Some did. And she would delete them ALL without opening them. Out of all the agents I knew NONE of them read queries. But these were mid to upper level agents at a big4. So...

There's always the anomaly person saying "Well, I got a read request from them... so?" Cool! But it definitely wasn't from my ex. 15 years as an agent there, read ZERO queries. Those are some of the odds you're up against.
Yes, exactly. No reason to read for them. They have enough on their plates on any given day already. I noted they "can" or could, not they would, of course. You're absolutely spot on: the higher you go, the tougher the odds are.

People like referrals for scripts, for writers, etc. or third party validation from a respected source.
__________________
Will
Done Deal Pro
www.donedealpro.com
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #42
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Or they probably just delete it (people at that level) because they don't want to deal with the release forms and sh!t (because they don't NEED to). I'm dead serious, my ex could have been tricked into opening an email but wouldn't take a look at something even if it sounded interesting because she wouldn't have wanted to do the back and forth with releases, she honestly had probably never seen what a release looks like. And it sounds like MORE WORK. Easier to just delete it and wait for someone REAL to refer it...
And just so you know, from my own p.o.v., NONE of this offends me at all. It's just business. Also, the emphasis in your quote is mine. They'll only change their ways if or when they have to, such as when some profound new method of doing business becomes the norm.

Also, when I pitch, it's to producers; I've pitched one "manager" this year, but it was for their "production" side, and one agent this year, but that was the rep for a Director (mentioned in the query) that I thought the thing would be good for; I got no response, which is this particular firm's practice. And I wasn't upset about it. It was just an email, and the time it took to compose it.

Last thing: Right this minute (and for the past few hours) I've been pitching, the usual way I do, which is barely ten so far this morning. One pitch (a particularly satisfying one) took me nearly a half hour to divine. ("Divine", a perfect word for what I'm doing!) To and fro, and checking Google, then LinkedIn, finding a different contact there, search that, compare with past emails to same company, etc. etc. Damn. But it worked.

No response today, yet, but that's the work ya' gotta do. Any and all. And keep writing.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #43
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
Yes, exactly. No reason to read for them. They have enough on their plates on any given day already. I noted they "can" or could, not they would, of course. You're absolutely spot on: the higher you go, the tougher the odds are.

People like referrals for scripts, for writers, etc. or third party validation from a respected source.
TRUTH!

I'll say this too: Of the "friends and family" scripts that came in. She did read them all. She signed exactly ZERO of these people. Maybe 20 scripts in 15 years.

The only script she felt (fukkin show off... shut up!) was good enough to pass along was mine. But they did sign me, so I guess she was right. *shrug*
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #44
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Not sure if anybody's seen it, but I just watched Please Stand By (2017). It's streamed here, with annoying Cyrillic subtitles, in case you can't find a regular/cleaner version in the usual sources: https://ok.ru/video/454893636348

Solid 8 out of 10, which is a good grade for me.

The story-line includes lots of anxious moments for the protagonist, who has high-functioning level autism. There are some truly disheartening reversals, and a good ticking clock, as she does the road trip thing to take her 420-page fan fiction script of Star Trek to Paramount for a script competition. The whole story's rife with fun Trekker stuff.

The reason I'm posting this here, rather than under the "Films" topic, is because of how she gets the script to the Paramount offices with barely a minute to spare. Sort of like stuff we've written about in this thread!

It was a really enjoyable flick, and the quality of drama/dramedy I hope to write some day - no matter if it only makes a dime at the box office like this one did.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:06 PM   #45
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Raise your hand if you think rushing and hand delivering a script directly to a script competition has anything to do with sending emails to mangers/producers on weekends?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #46
Klazart
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Not sure if anybody's seen it, but I just watched Please Stand By (2017). It's streamed here, with annoying Cyrillic subtitles, in case you can't find a regular/cleaner version in the usual sources: https://ok.ru/video/454893636348

Solid 8 out of 10, which is a good grade for me.

The story-line includes lots of anxious moments for the protagonist, who has high-functioning level autism. There are some truly disheartening reversals, and a good ticking clock, as she does the road trip thing to take her 420-page fan fiction script of Star Trek to Paramount for a script competition. The whole story's rife with fun Trekker stuff.

The reason I'm posting this here, rather than under the "Films" topic, is because of how she gets the script to the Paramount offices with barely a minute to spare. Sort of like stuff we've written about in this thread!

It was a really enjoyable flick, and the quality of drama/dramedy I hope to write some day - no matter if it only makes a dime at the box office like this one did.
We are the proletariat.
Klazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #47
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Raise your hand if you think rushing and hand delivering a script directly to a script competition has anything to do with sending emails to mangers/producers on weekends?

Dude... Are you actually Ryan? Dead fukkin serious. HA! We should get drunk sometime. hhhhaaaaaaa!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 PM   #48
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Well i'm on the east coast and I don't drink. But I've been accused at almost every party I've been too of being drunk. I'm the guy who drinks his diet coke and eats all the pigs in a blanket.

I do like "girlie" drinks like sex on the beach if I am forced to drink.

In college, I didn't drink either and then once I had 3 of those drinks at an event at the end of the year. So everyone said I was too drunk to drive home-- down the street. And then let my friend Farrar drive MY CAR home. He's 6-4 both ways. He barely fit in my car. I was not drunk at all. I remember the whole thing 20 years later.

Here's a question. What's worse? A drunk driver or a shi%%ty one? Because he was the worst driver I've ever been in a car with. He had never driven me anywhere before. And i screamed the whole ride and said if I was drunk, I'm sober as f-u-c-k now because you just hit a fuucking stop sign.

I don't need to get drunk to act like an A$$hole.

I can only imagine how different me and Ryan are in real life. He's probably tall and handsome. I'm fat and shorter than dirt. I look like a young Mr. Kotter and Ryan probably is Gosling. Unless he's a Jew too, than maybe we are the same. Is he from Boston?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #49
EdFury
Member
 
EdFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 744
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Raise your hand if you think rushing and hand delivering a script directly to a script competition has anything to do with sending emails to mangers/producers on weekends?
This made me laugh.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #50
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: Do people query on weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
This made me laugh.

HA!

Bono's been cracking me the fukk up. Someone hire this fukker!! WTF!!!?
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker