Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
Colin Holmes
Regular
 
Colin Holmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 271
Default Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

I come from Fort Worth, here's my 2 from four or five trips -

Drive down Thursday AM, save a hotel/food night and use what you save to spring for the Producer's badge. Conference badge gets you into the panels but the networking happens at the parties, the BBQ and the Brunch that the Producer's badge makes happen. The conference really kicks off at Noon. You may need a half-hour for check-in.

Go to the Pitch Party. Hang out at the Driskill Bar. Watch for the daily updates online as they do change session times, locations and presenters.

Go early to the Saturday panels - they fill up quickly with the weekend pass crowd and students. That means leave the panel you're in when question time starts if you're not really into the topic and want to make the que for the next one.

Wear comfortable shoes. Talk to everyone.
Colin Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #12
NoNeckJoe
Regular
 
NoNeckJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 372
Default Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

Chris Lockhart (an exec at WME who used to post here) posted this recently on FB:

"While a lot of people are fans of Austin, I think it's mostly a cash grab. The fest has a large number of second rounders so they can market discount badges to them."

I'm sure it's a lot of fun and there are some informative panels, but I question whether the presumed networking opportunities there would justify the expense. Just my take.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #13
StoryWriter
Member
 
StoryWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,130
Default Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
Chris Lockhart (an exec at WME who used to post here) posted this recently on FB:

"While a lot of people are fans of Austin, I think it's mostly a cash grab. The fest has a large number of second rounders so they can market discount badges to them."

I'm sure it's a lot of fun and there are some informative panels, but I question whether the presumed networking opportunities there would justify the expense. Just my take.
I entered a script into their contest, around 2003 and haven't sent them anything else or attended their film festivals. I've haven't contacted them in any way since then.

Around six years ago they discovered spam email. It seems like I get something from just about every day (but it's probably a little less frequent than that).

After their film festival is over, I think "Good, no more spam for awhile". Wrong. They start promoting for the next year almost immediately. So, I'm thinking the cash grab thing is probably accurate.
__________________
"I just couldn't live in a world without me."
StoryWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #14
Molly Maguire
User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 61
Default Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
Around six years ago they discovered spam email. It seems like I get something from just about every day (but it's probably a little less frequent than that)..

You know there's an "opt out" link at the bottom of the email, right?
Molly Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,299
Default Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

thanks for the insights all. appreciate it.
__________________
My opinions are just that... opinions.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
docgonzo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,086
Default Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

I was a finalist in 2017, which means I got access to everything for free plus a few special panels and events for semi-finalists and above. And you get invited to the awards luncheon, of course (and I knew from my seating arrangement that I wasn't going to win.LOL)

I totally agree with NoNeck that it's a cash grab for the most part. However, if you do place high, it's probably worth going. My category was spec TV episode, so I didn't get a lot of attention for obvious reasons. But I'd wager that finalists with original material got their their scripts into some hands. I'd love to hear from those people whether or not they were able to secure a rep or interest from producers from being a finalist.

And everything they say about the Driscoll is true. That's where it all happens.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #17
JoeBanks
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
I was a finalist in 2017, which means I got access to everything for free plus a few special panels and events for semi-finalists and above. And you get invited to the awards luncheon, of course (and I knew from my seating arrangement that I wasn't going to win.LOL)

I totally agree with NoNeck that it's a cash grab for the most part. However, if you do place high, it's probably worth going. My category was spec TV episode, so I didn't get a lot of attention for obvious reasons. But I'd wager that finalists with original material got their their scripts into some hands. I'd love to hear from those people whether or not they were able to secure a rep or interest from producers from being a finalist.

And everything they say about the Driscoll is true. That's where it all happens.
as others have noted elsewhere, think of it more like ComiCon but for writers. if you place high enough in the contest to generate some heat with someone you meet there, all the better. but it's mostly one weekend of the year where a lot of aspiring and pro writers can gather to just talk about writing and movies and ****. whether that's actually worth the outlay for a badge, room, and travel is a totally fair calculation. but by and large i find i get a pretty good value even as spendy as it can be
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #18
StoryWriter
Member
 
StoryWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,130
Default Re: Austin 2019 - Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Maguire View Post
You know there's an "opt out" link at the bottom of the email, right?
Does that actually work? I gave up on the "opt out" buttons years ago when it seemed to me it was an acknowledgement of life to the spammers. Most times I tried to "opt out" it tripled the spam I got.

But I guess I could try that.

One time, years ago, I got on the mailing list of a conservative website (probably from a stupid online poll), and my email became a dumping ground for their spam. I kept "opting out" which they would acknowledge, but they kept me on the their email list anyway.

I finally shook them by finding the email address of the woman who edited this online magazine. Sent to her and asked her to be removed. She acknowledged I'd be removed, but it didn't happen.

Next step. I started sending the spam to a liberal online magazine, CCing the woman editor and stating something like this, in each one: "These assh*les won't take me off their mailing list".

After three times of doing this the woman editor sent me a non-robot email saying that she gave instructions that my name be removed from the mailing list.

Haven't gotten anything from them, since then.

But none of this is really the point of my message. The point being is AFF a cash grab? (Slight exaggeration.) I'd say yes if they're sending frequent emails giving you opportunities to spend your cash in each one.
__________________
"I just couldn't live in a world without me."
StoryWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker