Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
beagle72

Default Advice on my flower films experience?

Hi,

Less than a month ago I exchanged e-mails with a head partner of Flower Films. Naively inquired about pitching a script, was warmly turned over to another high-level individual. Was told, not surprisingly, they don't "usually" read unrepped writers. I am new to this business (but not new to writing for a living) and have not yet found a rep relationship.

However -- this person invited me to email a synopsis anyway "just in case." I did so and less than 30 minutes later received a reply that they "LOVED" (their caps) the synopsis and to get a hardcopy script to them "right away." There was some discomfort with my original title and this person began to suggest alternatives (which is fine with me -- I sent some more of my own).

This is my first bite with a producer (or anyone, for that matter) of note. I did as requested and forwarded the script. About 3 weeks have passed and of course one's imagination takes many adventures in the meantime.

Is there any rule of thumb while waiting? Is there an acceptable time frame for asking on a status report, or re-establishing a dialogue, or ... ?

Basically wondering what my next move should be, or more importantly, should NOT be.

And just for the record, in my few exchanges with these folks at flower so far they have been very cordial, warm, and helpful.

thanks,
Aaron
www.bordella.com
Old 04-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
noh1

I wouldn't sweat it. You can email a follow-up email, and not appear to pressy, if it's been three weeks. I checked out the website, and don't think it will be a big deal.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
MacG

First off, congratulations on your success thus far. And that's exactly what the situation is at this point in time: a success.

A non-repped writer getting through to Flower Films and having a request for a script with the words LOVED IT in regard to the synopsis? Dude, that's just great.

As for an acceptable time frame: if it's been three weeks, give it at least one more...if your nerves can stand it, try and wait another three before picking up the phone or sending an e-mail. It takes time for them to wade through all the material they're send...and priority will be given the scripts that come from the big agencies.

That said, a month to a month and a half is a good rule of thumb.

Keep us posted, will you?

-M
Old 04-19-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
beagle72

Thanks for the helpful advice. Reassuring and practical. I'm enjoying these boards and will post an update when the time comes.

cheers-
Aaron
www.bordella.com