Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Writer1

Default Lee and Jena Levinson?

They emailed us to talk about our script query...wanted us to call them in New York...we did.

They like the story...but want us to pay them for a script appraisal...$350....then, if they like it, they'll take it out to their contacts in LA.

These folks have made some movies...but I'm not sure what to make of this...sighs.

Has anybody dealt with them before?
Old 02-16-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
LoganSF1

Default Lee and Jena

They tried that crap with me last year. Loved the script, but wanted me to pay to get it evaluated, and then pay again for them to help on a rewrite. They've produced some things, but like a lot of companies whose business is drying up, they end up offering script services or sponsoring a screenwriting contest. Don't bother with them. Save your money.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
hscope

Default Re: Lee and Jena

I had dealing with Lee a couple of years ago and like him a lot. He had a few projects (including one of mine) in a portfolio and was trying to find investers. I guess he didn't get very far as I got an e-mail outlining his script reading services a few months ago. He's a good guy, but the fact he is scraping around for reading fees suggests it's unlikely he has any meaningful contacts.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
Writer1

Default Re: Lee and Jena

seems I'm getting scammed by a better class of people these days...smiles.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
ybanon

I dealt with them a couple of years ago (no money option). Lee seemed like a nice enough guy, but in the six months he had my script he didn't get it read by even one person.

While it was really exciting to have somebody with actual production credits telling me that my script was great, I concur with hscope's conclusion.

I wish they weren't doing this sort of thing. It really debases the psychic value of my one "option."
Old 02-17-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
Bystander3

Default They aren't the only ones...

Times must be hard. I have encountered a couple of other producers with movie credits that are now trying to offer script consulting services. And, there is no shortage of new screenplay contests.

On the one hand, we all have to eat and at least keep a tent overhead. On the other hand, spec screenwriting seemingly is becoming less about ideas and talent and more about who among us has the most money to fork over for "access."
Old 06-11-2004, 09:01 AM   #7
sadcypress

Default He got my info from an e-query service.

He or someone from his office authorized to use his name left a message in my workplace's voicemail at 12:40. I called him back when I got the chance around 5:30 and he gave me the spiel and he emailed me the rest.

Even before the phone call is over, I've made up my mind that I don't want it. Pretty effective come-on of leaving a message during lunch hour so he doesn't have to pay for the call and he can intrigue you with his "producer" title.

A week after this, I found this thread on him. So I'm posting my experience to share with my fellow writers.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
DUCPHO

Default THEY HAVE TO EAT!

Ditto Bystander 3. But not with my money! If your coming off as a legit Producer(which this couple were) and then decide to market screenwriting coverage/Script Doctor Services, etc.... then say so "upfront"!
Old 06-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Writer1

Default Re: THEY HAVE TO EAT!

Lee told me, "we're not in the business of mentoring people for free."

I said..."I'm not asking for mentoring...Your job is to find good material and to produce it...mine is to write good material for you to produce." He didn't like that too much.