Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
sassyreporter
New User

Default Staffing meetings

Anybody out there have experience with TV staffing meetings? I was wondering what happens during these interviews: what kind of questions are you asked? Is it a more casual conversation to mostly gage your taste and your social abilities? What do you talk about? Any tips/advice?

Thank you!
sassyreporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
jimjimgrande

Default Re: Staffing meetings

After the initial hellos, they may start the conversation by referencing whatever it is of yours that they read. You respond by talking about the kinds of things you like to write and why you like to write them.

Or they may simply ask to hear a little bit more about you, which is when you tell them what makes you a unique and valuable addition to any writing staff. They want to know that you're going to bring something to the room. And they want to know that you're not crazy because they're going to be spending a lot of time with you.

At some point they'll tell you a little bit about the show and what's important to them. You respond by telling them what you love about their show and how excited you are to have the chance to be working on it.

Hopefully along the way through this conversation, you find points of mutual interest that you can talk about.

That's about it.

If you have experience, they'll ask you about your work on other shows which you gives you a chance to speak in detail about your responsibilities there and perhaps a little bit about the process, as every show's is different.

jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
sassyreporter
New User

Thank you - very helpful! I was told by my agent that I should have some ideas for character arcs and maybe a storyline for one episode in mind. I think this was suggested as less of a "pitch" but more a show of creativity/what you'd bring to the show. Has anyone done that in the past? How specific were you and did it go over well?

And it sounds like these meetings are somewhat short in general?
sassyreporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
jimjimgrande

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyreporter View Post
Thank you - very helpful! I was told by my agent that I should have some ideas for character arcs and maybe a storyline for one episode in mind. I think this was suggested as less of a "pitch" but more a show of creativity/what you'd bring to the show. Has anyone done that in the past? How specific were you and did it go over well?

And it sounds like these meetings are somewhat short in general?
meetings can be 30-60 minutes depending on how it goes.

In terms of having ideas, I'd suggest picking something from the pilot and asking them where they are taking it, after which you might riff a little on what you'd like to see or do with it.

I'd say do not volunteer story ideas or characters arcs without being asked first.

jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote