Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
ManbunShiva
User

Default Software suggestions

So I got feedback from the BL reader, and the main problem was my formatting.
I got good analysis for the script overall. I agree with the reader, I essentially didn't format it, this was my first script and I used CELTX

Can you guys suggest a better software which is free? Now that my feedback has been positive, I'd like to put it in INDUSTRY FORMAT, as the reader said. Thanks.
ManbunShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Staircaseghost
Regular

Default Re: Software suggestions

This is November the first, not April.
Staircaseghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
ManbunShiva
User

I asked about software not what you thought the time of year was.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Mpimentel
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staircaseghost View Post
This is November the first, not April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManbunShiva View Post
So I got feedback from the BL reader, and the main problem was my formatting.
I got good analysis for the script overall. I agree with the reader, I essentially didn't format it, this was my first script and I used CELTX

Can you guys suggest a better software which is free? Now that my feedback has been positive, I'd like to put it in INDUSTRY FORMAT, as the reader said. Thanks.
If you ARE serious about your question, then CELTX should work fine... Did you choose "script/screenplay" when you started writing your story? It lets you format it correctly there. Just hit the "TAB" button or use the left hand side guide.

Have you read any screenplays? I mean start there, if you don't even know what the format looks like no program is going to help you. CELTX works fine for industry format.
Episode 2 (African commercial)
Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)
Mpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
ManbunShiva
User

Let me clarify. I had the FREE version of CELTX, which was rather limited in it's offerings and was only available free as a trial version. My trial has expired. You mean to say there's no software that's free out there that's good besides CELTX?
Old 11-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Mpimentel
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManbunShiva View Post
Let me clarify. I had the FREE version of CELTX, which was rather limited in it's offerings and was only available free as a trial version. My trial has expired. You mean to say there's no software that's free out there that's good besides CELTX?
you can use the full version of celtx FREE online http://celtx.com. Now this is not convenient if you often write in a remote non wi-fi place, but has its perks when you can work on the story from different connected computers, and different writers can all work together from home.

I imagine there are other free, software, but I've only used celtx in the free category and simply stating that using CELTX you CAN format it properly start to finish.

Outside of that, why would you pay 100 bucks or whatever BlkLst charges but not invest 25 bucks on writing software if this is something you want to take seriously?

I see where the April comment came in lol.

Best of luck man!
Episode 2 (African commercial)
Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Last edited by Mpimentel : 11-02-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Mpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
ManbunShiva
User

Mpmintel, thanks again. I didn't see the part where you can use the basic version for free. Owe you man. lol. Good to know people are using CELTX.
Well, I spent $75 on the BL and I feel the notes I got were really useful. I'm not going to continue using the BL to host my script, but it had it's use.
Good luck to you too man!
Old 11-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
ClintW3
Regular

Highland is $30.
http://quoteunquoteapps.com/highland/
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
DeaconBlu
User

Also, Page 2 Stage, haven't used it or even checked it for accuracy but it's out there. Also there are some MS Word templates if you don't mind hitting the tab key a lot. I've heard there's a google docs template in the same vein but I've never seen it. Might be dead, might be they're playing close to the vest.

For what it's worth, I have seen $50 older versions of Final Draft on e-bay. Worth a look. If I remember right, version 7 rocked, 8 did not. I'm just assuming you could find Fade In or Movie Magic Screenwriter older versions for sale as well. Just a thought.
DeaconBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #10
omjs

Fade In is $49.95. WriterDuet also has a free version and comes with pretty cheap monthly versions if you want to upgrade but you don't want to commit.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote