Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
ACE21
User

Default TV Movie Question

I was wondering besides HBO, Hallmark and the Lifetime networks, what other networks air Made for TV Movies?

What production companies specialize in TV movies?
ACE21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
StoryWriter

Default Re: TV Movie Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE21 View Post
I was wondering besides HBO, Hallmark and the Lifetime networks, what other networks air Made for TV Movies?

Netflix. Maybe Hulu? I think Amazon is working toward that direction. Apple too, possibly

Or did you mean "traditional" TV?
Old 01-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
StoryWriter

Quote:

Then there's The Asylum Production company Direct to Redbox or...

Pitch Session

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 @ 8:42 am | Headline, News, Other
Every day we get dozens of query letters from writers hoping we’ll produce their screenplays. Many of you email me and comment on this site asking how you can pitch us your ideas.
I very rarely respond. I usually just hit delete or pretend not to see them. Why? Because, as writer myself, I hate to disappoint anyone who puts their heart and soul into a screenplay. And because any kind of response would only confirm how superficial and whorish we really are.
If you’re at all familiar with our movies, you know that we rarely do “original.” As I’ve mentioned here many times, The Asylum always follows the market. Sometimes that’s making movies with a similar theme to studio films that already have built-in awareness and multimillion dollar marketing campaigns. Sometimes it’s a video retailer telling us about an under served market. And sometimes it’s just one of our best customers telling us they really need a movie about giant fish.
Your screenplay may be the best thing written since Showgirls. It may be the story that would propel us from b-movie schlockmeisters to Sundance darlings.
But probably not.
Original is risky. And we rarely take risks. And when we do, they are calculated (“we know we won’t sell our western anywhere outside the US, but if we make it cheaply enough…”).
So, how can you write for The Asylum? Well, if you’ve got an interesting take on a mockbuster for a studio movie that is coming out in six to twelve months, that isn’t a remake, sequel, or based on an old television series (good luck); we might read that. Or if you happen to know the buyers at Netflix or Redbox or Comcast and can ask them what types of movies they need, we’ll listen to that pitch.
Otherwise, the best and easiest way to become a writer for The Asylum (and this works for directors too), is to move to Los Angeles and work for us in some other capacity; PA, grip, janitor, babysitter for Latt’s kids. And eventually we’ll give you shot…
That’s because we make most of our business decisions based on guilt and laziness.
As always, please send your hate comments (but not your query letters)
Old 01-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
MoviePen
Regular

Syfy does pretty regularly.
MoviePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
ACE21
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
Netflix. Maybe Hulu? I think Amazon is working toward that direction. Apple too, possibly

Or did you mean "traditional" TV?
Meant "traditional" TV.
ACE21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
EdFury

Quote:
Meant "traditional" TV.
No. Traditional networks are out of the TV movie business. Lifetime. Hallmark. ABC Family (or whatever they're called now). PIXL. SyFy. Once in a while if it's a known director, HBO. History. A&E. A few others on cable, more all the time especially at Christmas. Outside of cable: Netflix, but mostly big names. Hulu. Amazon, but mostly big names. Quite a few. I've written for a lot of them...
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
discrazy
User

Quote:
Meant "traditional" TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
No. Traditional networks are out of the TV movie business. Lifetime. Hallmark. ABC Family (or whatever they're called now). PIXL. SyFy. Once in a while if it's a known director, HBO. History. A&E. A few others on cable, more all the time especially at Christmas. Outside of cable: Netflix, but mostly big names. Hulu. Amazon, but mostly big names. Quite a few. I've written for a lot of them...
Though about once a year and again around the holidays, you will see a Hallmark movie play on CBS.
discrazy is offline   Reply With Quote