Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
Dimitri001
User
 
Dimitri001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 72
Default Privacy when writing

(This question doesn't really fit the subject of this subforum, but there's no subforum on DD that this would fit in. I've said it before, we should have a misc subforum put in.)

I feel very uncomfortable when I'm writing having someone be able to see what I'm writing, whether I'm writing notes or the actual screenplay.

It doesn't matter whether its a stranger in a public space or a family member at home, it bothers me.

I thought this was just particular to me, but I heard someone say something recently that kind of vaguely suggested possibly feeling the same way.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Dimitri001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
UnequalProductions
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 918
Default Re: Privacy when writing

When I first started writing in LA, I had this issue. I didn't want to be seen as just another idiot in a coffee shop trying to write a screenplay.

Then I got over it. Mostly by focusing on the work and not focusing on what other people think of me or what I'm doing.

I don't know what's triggering your insecurity of having people glance at what you're working on, so I guess the answer is either work someplace you have complete privacy or push it out of your mind. If you really want to be a professional writer, you're going to have to deal with a lot bigger issues that nosy people peeking at your computer.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Ravenlocks
Member
 
Ravenlocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Not where I was before.
Posts: 1,702
Default Re: Privacy when writing

Don't write in the presence of others. At the very least, sit in a corner and face the room so no one can see what you're working on. It doesn't seem strange to me that you would find it difficult to concentrate when others are paying attention to what you're doing and may kill your flow by interrupting you.
__________________
“Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.”
― Ray Bradbury
Ravenlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Dimitri001
User
 
Dimitri001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 72
Default Re: Privacy when writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlocks View Post
Don't write in the presence of others. At the very least, sit in a corner and face the room so no one can see what you're working on. It doesn't seem strange to me that you would find it difficult to concentrate when others are paying attention to what you're doing and may kill your flow by interrupting you.
I'm not looking for advice, I can find privacy just fine, I'm wondering whether anyone else feels this way.

This is not about concentration, tho, its more.... I don't know, I think maybe something like shyness, I'm not sure. But its definitely not about concentration. Its not wanting people to see what I'm writing. If people were looking at me but unable to see my computer screen or see what I'm writing in a notebook that wouldn't bother me.

So its about people not seeing what I'm writing. If there's people watching me or talking around me that doesn't bother me, that's not what this is about.
Dimitri001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
madworld
Member
 
madworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Otisburg
Posts: 642
Default Re: Privacy when writing

I don't get spooked but do get a little irritated. People do look at the screen, ask what I do, I'm polite and we end up burning time talking about whatever. So I don't typically write in public but sometimes.

An easy solution is to get a privacy screen for your laptop and always wear headphones.
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
omjs
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 501
Default Re: Privacy when writing

I hate it when people watch me write. I'm not even a fan of most people being able to see the screen and read over my shoulder. At one point I couldn't write if there was another person in the room watching me, even if they couldn't see what I was writing, but I can now write around other people as long as they don't look over my shoulder.

The exception to this is when I'm collaborating with someone. Then I don't care, obviously, because we're doing the writing together.

I don't know, I just generally hate to be seen "in process" on things. Back when I was acting consistently I hated it when unexpected people came to rehearsals, too. I could get past it, but it was really irritating.

I also tend to do most of my best work while I'm rewriting, so I get self-conscious that if someone sees my first draft when I'm not ready for them they'll just see a bunch of crap.

Edit: I think it's like, it feels almost like letting someone watch me change clothes. There are some people and circumstances where I'm fine with that, but generally I'd prefer if everyone just saw me in complete outfits.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
surftatboy
Member
 
surftatboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 676
Default Re: Privacy when writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjs View Post
Edit: I think it's like, it feels almost like letting someone watch me change clothes. There are some people and circumstances where I'm fine with that, but generally I'd prefer if everyone just saw me in complete outfits.
I was gonna say: it's like a stranger watching you jerk off. I like your analogy better.

I don't like writing around people and never will. I like to be alone [in the house/hotel room/wherever] or have the person [my chick] asleep.

I believe the creation of most [all?] art is best served for privacy.
__________________
DOPE CITY
surftatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
nmstevens
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 848
Default Re: Privacy when writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri001 View Post
(This question doesn't really fit the subject of this subforum, but there's no subforum on DD that this would fit in. I've said it before, we should have a misc subforum put in.)

I feel very uncomfortable when I'm writing having someone be able to see what I'm writing, whether I'm writing notes or the actual screenplay.

It doesn't matter whether its a stranger in a public space or a family member at home, it bothers me.

I thought this was just particular to me, but I heard someone say something recently that kind of vaguely suggested possibly feeling the same way.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Absolutely. I can't stand having other people around when I'm working. The entire notion of someone who takes his computer or his writing pad or whatever, leaves the comfort (and presumably the privacy) of his own home, goes out, finds a public place like a coffee shop, and proceeds to intentionally do his work there, in the midst of other people talking and walking around and potentially looking over his shoulder at what he's doing seems like utter madness.

In fact, I generally like to get to work either when the house is empty in the morning when everyone's gone or late at night when everybody's asleep because that way I know that nobody's going to knock on my door and interrupt me.

I absolutely can't stand having people being around me or bothering me when I work. (and by bothering me I mean being around me).

NMS
nmstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
Ronaldinho
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Privacy when writing

I used to have this problem. Somebody else walked into the room and I would need to switch windows.

Now it doesn't bother me. I write in a big room full of writers, with my back to the room, every day.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
surftatboy
Member
 
surftatboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 676
Default Re: Privacy when writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
I used to have this problem. Somebody else walked into the room and I would need to switch windows.
Like… you'd procrastinate by staring off into space out a different window? Good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
Now it doesn't bother me. I write in a big room full of writers, with my back to the room, every day.
In what capacity?
__________________
DOPE CITY
surftatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker