Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
pickerman123
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 155
Default Flat Out Rude?

Hi:

It’s one thing to be told “no unsolicited material “ but I’ve noticed on the phone rejections lately have been just flat out rude. Today I was even hung up on while in mid-sentence!

Sorry but unsolicited calls are part of the job. Don’t like it? Take up knitting. Has anyone noticed this in their cold callings?

I’m polite and professional. A simple no is fine.
__________________
Writing is re-writing
pickerman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
AnyOtherName
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 208
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerman123 View Post
Hi:

It’s one thing to be told “no unsolicited material “ but I’ve noticed on the phone rejections lately have been just flat out rude. Today I was even hung up on while in mid-sentence!

Sorry but unsolicited calls are part of the job. Don’t like it? Take up knitting. Has anyone noticed this in their cold callings?

I’m polite and professional. A simple no is fine.
Wait, is this a parody post? Sweet jesus, please tell me you're not really cold-calling agents and managers.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
EdFury
Member
 
EdFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 744
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

I'd hang up on you, too. There's a system of querying via email in place so people won't cold call. Wow...
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
pickerman123
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 155
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
I'd hang up on you, too. There's a system of querying via email in place so people won't cold call. Wow...
I've had successfull cold calls in the past as I have failures. It's just I noticed the rudeness not the polite and professional "no" I'm used to getting in the past.
Seems I'm going from 50/50 to 100% email querying.

No problem but I will miss the one on one interaction. Developing relationships takes time and I've always felt that was best suited when both parties could hear one another on the phone.

Oh well..
__________________
Writing is re-writing
pickerman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerman123 View Post
I've had successfull cold calls in the past as I have failures. It's just I noticed the rudeness not the polite and professional "no" I'm used to getting in the past.
Seems I'm going from 50/50 to 100% email querying.

No problem but I will miss the one on one interaction. Developing relationships takes time and I've always felt that was best suited when both parties could hear one another on the phone.

Oh well..
if it will make you feel any better this type of rudeness exists in other industries, too. i don't understand it. the most important thing is to NEVER be rude back, because one day that person may be in a position to help you and people have long memories. short memories, too, but long ones when you least expect it. haha.

sorry you had to deal with that, but email is the preferred way. then they can just politely ignore you. haha.
__________________
My opinions are just that... opinions.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
...the most important thing is to NEVER be rude back, because one day that person may be in a position to help you and people have long memories. short memories, too, but long ones when you least expect it. haha...
Of course, it should work both ways... that we may be in the position to be pursued by them. And, oh yes, I am always courteous even to the discourteous, but I absolutely do have a lonnnggg memory! The ones (there aren't that many) who are on my "ignore" list won't have a clue!

Last edited by catcon : 03-23-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: The "s" on my keyboard drops out sometimes; had to fix something
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
docgonzo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

I used to work a desk and HATED getting query calls. Emails were annoying enough, but when I'm rolling calls for one boss, readying submissions for the other, and dealing with about 20 other things at once, the last thing I want is to pick up a phone and hear an unsolicited pitch. As a writer who has done the querying thing myself, I understand the difficulty of trying to get reads and representation. But please, for the love of all that is holy, DON'T COLD CALL.

Thank you.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
TigerFang
Member
 
TigerFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 39° 6' 11.2284'' N, 84° 30' 43.2576'' W
Posts: 1,072
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerman123 View Post
It’s one thing to be told “no unsolicited material “ but I’ve noticed on the phone rejections lately have been just flat out rude. Today I was even hung up on while in mid-sentence!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerman123 View Post
I've had successfull cold calls in the past as I have failures.
Emphasis mine on “in the past.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
if it will make you feel any better this type of rudeness exists in other industries, too. i don't understand it.
It’s a sign of the times. For this, I’m ready, willing, and able to blame the Internet. There’s also no longer much sense of karmic justice.
__________________
“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” — Billy Wilder
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
I used to work a desk and HATED getting query calls. Emails were annoying enough, but when I'm rolling calls for one boss, readying submissions for the other, and dealing with about 20 other things at once, the last thing I want is to pick up a phone and hear an unsolicited pitch. As a writer who has done the querying thing myself, I understand the difficulty of trying to get reads and representation. But please, for the love of all that is holy, DON'T COLD CALL.
The other thing to consider about email is the ever-important "audit trail" that it provides.

I'm not talking about the nonsense of how it provides a record that lets us sue if somebody claims they never saw my idea etc. etc. and they go and make the same movie. I mean how email as a business tool lets me do better marketing. I've been querying for so long, that now I can re-pitch individuals on the same (updated) screenplay.

The logic being: The script has undergone a few polishes and is 10 percent shorter, the person who received the original pitch is no longer with the company... or is now higher up, the logline/pitch has changed, etc. Sometimes, if I find someone has moved on, I can approach them in their new position by reminding them of my past pitches.

Note that with all of these re-pitches, I include the header of the original email so that the current recipient - even if it's the same person, years later - doesn't think I'm full of baloney about pitching them before.

Incidentally, even an original response of "we don't take unsolicited" may, years later, be a good enough reason to revisit the issue (courteously) to ask if "your policy is the same".

And on all of the foregoing, always be sure to include your website/IMDB/LinkedIn profile link or any other relevant URLs, etc. in your signature block.

What I've just described is MUCH more difficult if there's no audit trail of your contacts. Doing searches through your email means you don't even have to keep a separate database tracker (though I do both, due to my background in the latter and the EXTREME metrics that I can run on said data).

Meanwhile? Phone calls are a big blur to me, within 30 seconds of hangup.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
TigerFang
Member
 
TigerFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 39° 6' 11.2284'' N, 84° 30' 43.2576'' W
Posts: 1,072
Default Re: Flat Out Rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
The logic being: The script has undergone a few polishes and is 10 percent shorter, the person who received the original pitch is no longer with the company... or is now higher up, the logline/pitch has changed, etc. Sometimes, if I find someone has moved on, I can approach them in their new position by reminding them of my past pitches.

Note that with all of these re-pitches, I include the header of the original email so that the current recipient - even if it's the same person, years later - doesn't think I'm full of baloney about pitching them before.

And all this while I believed that the reason to not put a date of creation on a screenplay title page was so that when someone who had not yet read it got it in their hands, they saw it as “fresh” material.
__________________
“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” — Billy Wilder
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker