Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
Cokeyskunk
User
 
Cokeyskunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: DFW area
Posts: 60
Default WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Obviously, this is an unstable time for writers and representatives alike.

I don't want to attempt to take advantage of a precarious situation.

I've been seeking representation for the last few months and have several full script requests.

If I follow-up with any of these guys, will they be too busy/frantic/crazed to even care right now - or will they be scrambling to find new people?

I'm fully aware that the likelihood is that the agents and the WGA will work something out within the next few weeks, but just wondering how best to proceed as a previously unrepped talent seeking representation?

Thanks, gang.
- Skunk

Last edited by Cokeyskunk : 04-16-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Cokeyskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,300
Default -- is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
Obviously, this is an unstable time for writers and representatives alike.

I don't want to attempt to take advantage of a precarious situation.

I've been seeking representation for the last few months and have several full script requests.

If I follow-up with any of these guys, will they be too busy/frantic/crazed to even care right now - or will they be scrambling to find new people?

I'm fully aware that the likelihood is that the agents and the WGA will work something out within the next few weeks, but just wondering how best to proceed as a previously unrepped talent seeking representation?

Thanks, gang.
- Skunk
send your queries. try to secure reps. you're not in the WGA yet, so rule #23 doesn't apply to you. take advantage by starting to work with an agent now if you can. you need to build relationships.

there are thousands of WGA writers firing their reps until or unless they sign the COC. it doesn't mean that they don't like or even love their reps. it just means that they're partners on opposite sides of the argument.

if you earn your WGA member status as 'current' and the dispute is not settled, and your agent is a non-franchise agent, then at that point you will have to fire them.

managers aren't impacted by Rule 23.

the decision is yours.
__________________
My opinions are just that... opinions.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Cokeyskunk
User
 
Cokeyskunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: DFW area
Posts: 60
Default Re: -- is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
send your queries. try to secure reps. you're not in the WGA yet, so rule #23 doesn't apply to you. take advantage by starting to work with an agent now if you can. you need to build relationships.

there are thousands of WGA writers firing their reps until or unless they sign the COC. it doesn't mean that they don't like or even love their reps. it just means that they're partners on opposite sides of the argument.

if you earn your WGA member status as 'current' and the dispute is not settled, and your agent is a non-franchise agent, then at that point you will have to fire them.

managers aren't impacted by Rule 23.

the decision is yours.

Both understood and appreciated.

I'm just wondering about whether or not this is the best timing, or should I simply wait until a resolution occurs? I worry that all "new business" may be temporarily kicked to the side until this is resolved. I mean, that is unless they're now desperately looking for new people to sign?

Might any follow-up I send during this period of uncertainty be considered discourteous, considering what they're trying to hold together right now? I worry they've got "bigger fish to fry" at the moment than responding to a follow-up of a relative unknown.

Either that, or is it possible I'd be missing the opportunity of a lifetime?
Cokeyskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Satriales
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 157
Default WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

I wouldn’t worry about querying agents anyway. Impact on managers responding to queries approaches zero.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
AnyOtherName
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 208
Default Re: -- is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
Both understood and appreciated.

I'm just wondering about whether or not this is the best timing, or should I simply wait until a resolution occurs? I worry that all "new business" may be temporarily kicked to the side until this is resolved. I mean, that is unless they're now desperately looking for new people to sign?

Might any follow-up I send during this period of uncertainty be considered discourteous, considering what they're trying to hold together right now? I worry they've got "bigger fish to fry" at the moment than responding to a follow-up of a relative unknown.

Either that, or is it possible I'd be missing the opportunity of a lifetime?
I don't think you'll get very far querying managers right now. Every formerly manager-less professional writer I know is adding a manager to his/her team, and every manager I know suddenly has a swelling client list.

I can't speak as confidently about agents, but it seems to me that they are, at the moment, still in pretty deep denial about this thing: they think this is all posturing by the Guild and the ATA, that a bargain will be cut in the next week or two and that their clients will all come rushing back immediately thereafter. They could be right-- this could all just be a blip. Or not. We'll see.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Northbank
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 100
Default Re: -- is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
Every formerly manager-less professional writer I know is adding a manager to his/her team, and every manager I know suddenly has a swelling client list.
Interesting, I'm not seeing this at all. In my experience, most managers are taking the position that they don't want to be a temporary solution for a writer and get fired the moment this is over.
Northbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
AnyOtherName
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 208
Default Re: -- is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbank View Post
Interesting, I'm not seeing this at all. In my experience, most managers are taking the position that they don't want to be a temporary solution for a writer and get fired the moment this is over.
I've seen some of that, but from where I sit, it appears to be a minority position. And frankly, I don't really get it-- this is a chance for managers to prove their value; if they deliver, maybe they WON'T be fired "the moment this is over" (if, indeed, it's ever over).
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: -- is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbank View Post
Interesting, I'm not seeing this at all. In my experience, most managers are taking the position that they don't want to be a temporary solution for a writer and get fired the moment this is over.
i believe this is probbly truer. managers are about the long game not the short.
__________________
My opinions are just that... opinions.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
Lahlowen
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 85
Default Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent

I'd aim for a manager right now b/c they are currently figuring out how to handle all of this and move forward being of value to clients with violating any laws or facing lawsuits from the agencies. And they WILL come up with something (along with attorneys), that much I've been guaranteed.

Just be aware that if you land an agent and have them hustle for you during all of this, you could be viewed as a scab by the union/industry moving forward even though you're not WGA yet. Tread carefully there.
Lahlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
AnyOtherName
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 208
Default Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahlowen View Post
I'd aim for a manager right now b/c they are currently figuring out how to handle all of this and move forward being of value to clients with violating any laws or facing lawsuits from the agencies. And they WILL come up with something (along with attorneys), that much I've been guaranteed.

Just be aware that if you land an agent and have them hustle for you during all of this, you could be viewed as a scab by the union/industry moving forward even though you're not WGA yet. Tread carefully there.
That's wrong. The Guild is openly telling non-union writers that they don't need to fire their agents. The leadership knows how hard it can be to get a first agent and isn't asking non-Guild writers to take one for a team they're not even on.

As for managers, with the exceptions of 3 Arts and Anonymous, no one seems to be quaking in their boots regarding these absurd and empty threats from the ATA, which wouldn't conceivably have standing to sue any managers for anything.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker