Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Goldfinch

i loved Donna Tartt's novel. i understand it is challenging source material to adapt into a feature film (sprawling bildungsroman about a boy and his pilfered painting). but man does this thing miss the mark on just about every level. so badly that it made me totally reconsider whether i should have even liked the book in the first place. as much of a page-turner that odyssey was for me, this was like watching paint(ing) dry for 2 and 1/2 hours. you'd think that they might get even one thing right or at least true to the spirit of the novel but nope. it's all just bad.

Re: The Goldfinch

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    i loved Donna Tartt's novel. i understand it is challenging source material to adapt into a feature film (sprawling bildungsroman about a boy and his pilfered painting). but man does this thing miss the mark on just about every level. so badly that it made me totally reconsider whether i should have even liked the book in the first place. as much of a page-turner that odyssey was for me, this was like watching paint(ing) dry for 2 and 1/2 hours. you'd think that they might get even one thing right or at least true to the spirit of the novel but nope. it's all just bad.
    I think I'll skip this one! Your summary parallels the reviews I've read.

Comment

When I saw the trailer, I had no idea what this one was about. Something about a stolen painting; his mom killed in an explosions. A bunch of arty shots. But, I'll check it out this week because I think that's how long it's going to stay there based on the box office.

Comment

Watched this in flight. A good lesson for what happens when writers/filmmakers fail to cut excess exposition. I hit the stop button somewhere over the Appalachians.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
          Watched this in flight. A good lesson for what happens when writers/filmmakers fail to cut excess exposition. I hit the stop button somewhere over the Appalachians.
          Next time I fly, I may check it out just to see how far I get before giving up. I do like watching movies that don't work (when they had the skill, budget, talent to work) to see where they went awry. I'll probably get to over the Sierras. (I live in SF.)

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
            Next time I fly, I may check it out just to see how far I get before giving up. I do like watching movies that don't work (when they had the skill, budget, talent to work) to see where they went awry. I'll probably get to over the Sierras. (I live in SF.)
            Do report back. For me, the opening two minutes raised a red flag.

Comment

There are a few interesting parts, but you have to wade through a lot to get there.

Comment

Working...
              X