Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
K.C.

Default Survey: How long can you last?

And let's not talk about hours here. Hours, schmours, give it to us in the only currency that means anything: Page count!

On a good day (with a glass of wine and Bolero playing in the background), I can get eight pages. Scratch that, make it on a great day. In my youth I once got 11 pages in one sitting, but that was one of those never-happens bolt-out-of-bed-with-the-entire-thing-already-in-your-head moments that happens once, gets you to commit your life to this magic we call screenwriting, and then proceeds to never happen again (excepts to other wankers who haven't sold their soul to the ghost yet).

Usually, I'm a three-to-four pager, but when I finish a project I can spend months rewriting, so it's not a steady build up. More like one of those logic puzzles where the frog jumps three feet out of the ten foot wall but always falls two feet back. I can also go a long time between ideas, but I find the more consistently I work the more consistently the ideas flow, too.

Okay, those are my cards on the table. Join me now in doing what our teachers taught us never to do: looking up from our test to get a good disheartening look at how fast everyone else is writing.

Sincerely,
K.C. (a.k.a. The Artist Formerly Known as Willoughby)
Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
vig
Banned

This quesiton means more and more each time someone asks it. at first i could write alot of pages but my wriitng was awful. then i starting slowing down and learning my lessons.

know, i can sit down and write 15 pages in a five hours in one scirpt, keep most of it, then write five on two others. so, that's around 25 pages that i kept alot of. first drafts are coming easier and easier, and the quality of work is getting better.

still though, it could take me a month to finish 100 pages and it takes me five months to rewrite it. but over the last six months i've written two new scrips both at 100 pages and polished two others and though i'm finding less time to write, the times i do write, that 2-4 hours, most of the time less, i'm banging out quality stuff. all the things the pros told you, and said would happen if you read, write an learn, start to happen. wriing is a discipline and a skill that is like welding. it takes forever at first to be able to leave no seams, and one script in four years seems terrible, but three in the next year means no seams in less time.

vig
vig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
English Dave

Default How long

Had an emergency and wrote 49 pages of a TV ep in one day last week.
I was aiming for 50 but conked out around midnight.

Guess what? They've since changed the story line so it was all pretty much wasted anyway.

In my experience, writing expands into the time available.
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Novice Paul
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave
Had an emergency and wrote 49 pages of a TV ep in one day last week.
I was aiming for 50 but conked out around midnight.

Guess what? They've since changed the story line so it was all pretty much wasted anyway.

In my experience, writing expands into the time available.
49?? Damn!

Kinda going off topic here, but as a student I find it hard to work, go to school, and get the right amount of writing done. How does anyone else handle it?
Novice Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Ravenlocks

Dave, you hit 49 and couldn't push it to 50? That's just... I don't know what that is. Sad? So close and yet so far...

http://scriptsales.com/boards/images/smilies/wink.gif

Paul... What's the "right amount"? There's no right amount unless you have a deadline. Life will always get in the way. You make room in your life for writing or you don't, just like anything else.

EDITED TO SAY: Why did the wink show up as a link?

Last edited by Ravenlocks : 05-10-2005 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Frustration with link to wink.
Ravenlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
vig
Banned

writers write, come hell or highwater. just like anything else in life we are entited to nothing so either make time or it's not going to happen.

vig
vig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #7
Hairy Lime

Default sporadic

My writing habits varied greatly when I first started out. I'd write 2 to 4 pages per day almost every day. I would discard most of it. I'm guessing I've gotten as far as 60 or 70 pages into a script and scrapped the whole thing on 3 or more occasions.

Now that I've found my pattern, I don't write every day. What I do every day is think and jot. Think about story. Think about characters. Think about dialogue. Jot down notes about interesting things that happened or that I overheard. Jot down my ideas so I don't forget them.

When I actually write a script, I write quickly. My average is 8-10 pages per day, most of which I keep. My personal "best" is 32 pages. While writing my most recent spec, I *averaged* 24 pages per day on the first draft.

I spend most of my writing time outlining, making notes, writing up synopses, writing up treatments, doing research, doodling, bouncing ideas off trusted film-makers, and then finally writing the script itself.

I started a new script yesterday and finished 10 1/2. I'm giving myself 10 days to finish the first draft, so I'm right on target.
Hairy Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Geevie

I wrote 57 pages over this past weekend. In my current project I've been averaging a draft a week.

If you plan well, you can write well in short order.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
billythrilly7

A couple of sentencies minimum - 25 pages max.

I usually write a lot of pages in the first act. I knock out the first act quick maybe even in one day. Second act is a slow hellish battle and then when I smell the finish line I pick up the pace again.

It usually takes me about 4-6 weeks to write a decent first draft. And many of those days, I DON'T write.

And then another 2-3 months to rewrite and have something I would let someone read.

I'd say my average writing day is about 5-10 pages.
billythrilly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
Erehwon

If it's a first draft? I'm doin' 8-12 pages a day.
rewrite? depends on how I'm feelin' and if it's flowin'. 10 pages is average.

I've done a first draft in 10 days a couple times.
Erehwon is offline   Reply With Quote