Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: Rejection/Passes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
...the rejection NEVER stops when you're a writer. you have to find a way to cope/deal/vent it so it doesn't get in your way.
True the rejection NEVER stops. BUT... I'm becoming more skeptical that these buyers and producers know what they're doing by the day (i.e. knowing what the audience WANTS).

Example: On two of my last shows I polled a general audience, multi-demographic, to learn what audience reaction to the concept was (went to super markets in various demographics and polled THOUSANDS of people. 10 different cities from Orange County, to Compton, to Beverly Hills etc. Yes, I do weird sh!t like that. I like talking to people to learn what they think.) With both shows, overwhelmingly YES. Some No's, but around 98% yes. Many (most) chimed in excitedly about what they'd want to see from them and how they thought it could be better. Interesting ideas. Everyone's a "development exec" in disguise.

But, when I talk to around 10,000 people and it's overwhelmingly a positive response. How does that not sell? You could argue they were just being nice. Nah, I don't believe that, people will reject you very easily if they can't be bothered, they won't engage. But when you ask them something they care about, they will.

Example: On my political show my intro question was "When was the last time you felt the government wasn't doing a very good job?" I already knew their answer. 100% had the same answer "I dunno, today." I'd say "Your answer matches everyone I've asked this question of." The convos went on from there...

POINT: I don't need a 100% audience share for a successful show.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:07 PM   #12
Anthony94
User

Default Re: Rejection/Passes...

The thing with Memento's screenplay is it is pretty confusing if you go into it blindly, it takes some getting used to and the timeline jumps are much easier to follow visually than on the page, the first 4 pages of Memento are confusing and I read this after watching the film multiple times and knowing exactly how the whole thing plays out -- the truth is the vision in our heads cannot be put onto the page, we can only write a blueprint and describe it, some visions come alive on film in a way they can't on paper.

Agreed that you shouldn't let others stop you, if your belief in it is strong enough you'll find a way.
Anthony94 is offline   Reply With Quote