Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new writer/very cool deal - Grayskull

So I guess, if it's good enough, one script can land you some nice work and good representation AND those script sites might just be worthwhile. A nice story for all of us to read.

Rookie scribe Evan Daugherty comes aboard He-Man project

By Borys Kit and Jay A. Fernandez
    May 12, 2009

Warner Bros. and Silver Pictures have tapped newcomer Evan Daugherty to pen the latest draft of "Grayskull," the studio's big-screen take on Mattel's "Masters of the Universe" cartoon and toy line.

John Stevenson ("Kung Fu Panda") is attached to direct the adaptation of the show, which followed a blond warrior named Prince Adam who, when uttering the magic words, "By the power of Grayskull -- I have the power," turned into the heroic He-Man. He and his allies -- Battle Cat, Man-at-Arms and Orko -- defended their planet Eternia from the evil forces of Skeletor, who tried week after week to conquer the fortress Castle Grayskull, which imbued He-Man with his powers.

Warners sees the big-screen version as a gritty fantasy and reimagines Adam as a soldier who sets off to find his destiny, happening upon the magical world of Eternia. There, Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic.

Justin Marks penned the previous draft.

Landing "Grayskull" is a huge coup for Daugherty, whose only writing credit is the unproduced screenplay "Shrapnel." Daugherty wrote the script -- a character-driven psychological thriller about two mortal enemies on a hunting trip to the death -- to earn an NYU film-school grant. He was living at his parents' home at the time and paying bills by doing freelance video editing.

Daugherty didn't get the grant but entered an obscure screenwriting contest called Script Pimp, where he caught the attention of Jake Wagner of management firm Energy Entertainment. The script made the Hollywood rounds and landed on the Black List, while Daugherty moved to Los Angeles to pursue his writing career.

Daugherty additionally is repped by UTA.

Re: Brand new writer/very cool deal - Grayskull

would this be considered a success for Scriptpimp?

Comment

If the ScriptPimp competition is what got him to Wagner & Weaver, then absolutely. Energy could sell milk to a cow. Shrapnel also made the Blacklist. This kid's winning.
      "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
      - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Justin Marks's script for Voltron was one of the awfulest things I've read ever. So at the very least, I'm glad someone else is taking over He-Man.
        -------

I didn't have time to write a short script so I wrote a long one instead.

Comment

Anyone have the script for Shrapnel? Sounds pretty cool.
          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
            Anyone have the script for Shrapnel? Sounds pretty cool.
            Sent via email. Cheers.
            "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
            - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Thanks!
              QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

He wrote/directed a short a while back which had an interesting cool logline --

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0930089/

Maybe now this will turn into a full feature.

I like the synopsis.

Congrats to him.
                You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
                Paul Harvey
                -
                -
                -

Comment

I didn't read Marks script for it, but The new Streetfighter movie was awful as well... why I got stuck watching that, I'll never know.

is there any way I can get a copy of Schrapnel as well?

Comment

I hate this person
                    Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Just read SHRAPNEL, which made the black list and was apparently penned by Daughtery....

Interestingly enough, it seems like Daughtery ran his SHRAPNEL logline through DDPers awhile back, just after it won ScriptPimp...

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...light=shrapnel

He was posting as a "jackgreenman" here, though...

Cool for him, if he still hangs around!

Comment

That's awesome! So many DD'ers making their moves and knee deep in the game!

Comment

What's a "blacklist"? Where I'm from, it means you get struck off from somebody's list of clients/people they want to know.
                          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                            What's a "blacklist"? Where I'm from, it means you get struck off from somebody's list of clients/people they want to know.
                            An annual list of the most popular unproduced scripts in Hollywood.

Comment

Good for him. But I also feel kinda sorry for the guy. How in the world do you make a He-Man script good? It's like...impossible.
                              Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X