Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using "We"

I've been reading old threads here, and there's a "we see" thread on every corner, I don't know how you could have missed them.

But another interesting thing I found was an example of why someone might be told to stop using "we see" and camera directions:

INT. RICK'S APARTMENT (BEDROOM) - EVENING

A nude woman sits on Rick's bed. Our eyes fall upon the angel wings tattooed on her upper back. She turns around to face us. It's Ava.

The answering machine comes into focus.

Ava turns back and looks down. We see what she's looking at: a pregnancy test stick. X marks the spot. She's pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by nojustice View Post
      I've been reading old threads here, and there's a "we see" thread on every corner, I don't know how you could have missed them.

But another interesting thing I found was an example of why someone might be told to stop using "we see" and camera directions:

INT. RICK'S APARTMENT (BEDROOM) - EVENING

A nude woman sits on Rick's bed. Our eyes fall upon the angel wings tattooed on her upper back. She turns around to face us. It's Ava.

The answering machine comes into focus.

Ava turns back and looks down. We see what she's looking at: a pregnancy test stick. X marks the spot. She's pregnant.
      I'm not sure I get your example...what's wrong with it?
      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Just want the OP to stop reading now and ignore the discussions that are sure to follow.

Please. Don't let another baby die.

Comment

Yikes! That thread is 19 pages long! I have no idea if I just ignored that thread or not - since the last 50 epic We See threads have all been the same. But here's what I always say...

They don't kick you out of Hollywood for any of this stuff. But any word used again and again in a screenplay can get boring, so use sparingly and for a purpose. I seldom use we and we see and we hear and we smell and all other wes because it's a movie - of course we see. It's usually redundant and serves no purpose, and there is only so much room on a page, so I'd rather spend it on character and story and actions and other things that I think are more important than a redundant "we see". Now, there are times when "we see" is the right tool for the job - usually when the audience sees something that no other character sees. Then I use it, because "we see" is not redundant - it serves a purpose.

Do things for a reason.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Someday, when I no longer give a shit about anything, I'm going to give a script pass coverage for using "we." Then when someone trots out the argument that no reader will ever pass on a script because the writer used "we," I'll be able to say, "Not true. I did."

Of course, I won't mention that I was never sent another script to cover.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              ... Now, there are times when "we see" is the right tool for the job - usually when the audience sees something that no other character sees. Then I use it, because "we see" is not redundant - it serves a purpose. ...
              We see the boy sneak into the closet.

- or -

No one sees the boy sneak into the closet.

This is un-winable. It's a debate between those who think "we see ... " is the best possible choice of words, and those who think there is always something better than "we see ...".
              "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
              - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Except that's not what the OP asked. He asked "Is using "We" a big no-no?," and the answer is an unambiguous no.

Comment

We see post after post added to the thread until... BAM! The server fails. Will's hair is on fire!

-or-

Post upon post is added to the thread and then... BAM! The server fails. Will's hair is on fire!

How about ellipses? Think I used too many?

Bot
                  Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Originally posted by Robot17 View Post
                    How about ellipses? Think I used too many?
                    My theory is - if I use enough there will not be any left for M. Night Shamalamadingdong.

- Bill
                    Free Script Tips:
                    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

This can be applied to pretty much everything dealing with screenwriting:

If it's not a big no-no with you (the writer) then it's not a big no-no.

If you're honestly putting your best foot forward and if you truly believe it's the best you can do then you're good to go.
                      "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                      - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

You know, it's funny... Using 'we' is one of those things that they have all this conflicting advice about in the 'how to' screenwriting books.. Some of them tell you its suicide and others say that you should use it becuase it helps the screenplay from sounding awkward and stuff... Honestly, I think that a dude who is a current present day reader for a company would be the one to ask...

'Cause for example there was a time when screenplays had lengthy character descriptions with a bit of narrative to them--nowawadays its all about brevity... Screenplays like Taxi Driver have some beautiful, long description.... Then there's the stuff nowadays, like Old School, for example... Very short character descriptions...
                        "Right now it sounds like an urban Idiocracy meets Big in The Matrix (with a dash of Tron?)." --Mountain Goat, commenting on my screenplay ZONED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by fisherman View Post
                          You know, it's funny... Using 'we' is one of those things that they have all this conflicting advice about in the 'how to' screenwriting books.. Some of them tell you its suicide and others say that you should use it becuase it helps the screenplay from sounding awkward and stuff... Honestly, I think that a dude who is a current present day reader for a company would be the one to ask...
                          No offense but no-no-no-no no no no nononono no no no.

I'm happy to ignore this thread but I just wanna see the original poster acknowledge that there is no debate about this in the world of working writers: no one cares about "we see." Or "we."

Once I know he's seen this, I can go off and die while this thread spins into oblivion.

OP? Where are you? Do you understand? Do you see? Because we see!

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                            No offense but no-no-no-no no no no nononono no no no.

I'm happy to ignore this thread but I just wanna see the original poster acknowledge that there is no debate about this in the world of working writers: no one cares about "we see." Or "we."

Once I know he's seen this, I can go off and die while this thread spins into oblivion.

OP? Where are you? Do you understand? Do you see? Because we see!
                            Everybody loves an optimist.
                            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                              My theory is - if I use enough there will not be any left for M. Night Shamalamadingdong.

- Bill
                              LMAO!!

By the way OP - all this joking is not intended to be at at your expense. Its a perfectly reasonable question but we've all been
                              over it or through it a bunch.
                              Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Please let BDZ have the last word on this:

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                                ...there is no debate about this in the world of working writers: no one cares about "we see." Or "we."
                                No further comment needed.
                                "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                                X