Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script that changed the way you write.

One pick only...name the script you read that permanently changed the way your write...and the reason why.
    "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Re: Script that changed the way you write.

THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE by Allan Loeb.

It sold to a studio...made the screenwriter a star...attracted two big actors to the lead roles...got made....and it broke EVERY screenwriting rule I had continuously read about on this site and in books by the so called screenwriting experts.

It didn't necessarily change the way I write but it gave me the confidence to continue developing my voice on the page at a time when that confidence was dwindling.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

My new script is UP... practically perfect in every way and I don't even write kid stuff!

Comment

Basic Instinct.. minimum words, maximum effect...

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
          In the first conversation I had with my manager he told me to stop everything and read this script first. I did, and it was amazing, definitely had the same impact on me. It resonated and gave me additional confidence to explore my own voice.

As for the first script that changed the way I write? There never was one. I find it peculiar anyone would "change" the way they write after reading someones script. I mean, there's scripts that blew me away and inspired me, but changed the way I write? Sounds like insecurity to me, guess I'm just arrogant like that.

Comment

Juno.

Yup!

T

Comment

Originally posted by Takezo View Post
              Juno.

Yup!

T
              The question was a change for the better, not worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                In the first conversation I had with my manager he told me to stop everything and read this script first. I did, and it was amazing, definitely had the same impact on me. It resonated and gave me additional confidence to explore my own voice.
                It should have never been a studio picture. The studio process damaged the final product that made it to the screen. That was another lesson learned for me. There are scripts that shouldn't be made by the studios. This was one.
                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

It should have never been a studio picture. The studio process damaged the final product that made it to the screen. That was another lesson learned for me. There are scripts that shouldn't be made by the studios. This was one.
                  That was actually one of the points my manager made, unfortunately I never saw the film to make the comparison, but maybe I shouldn't.

Comment

Joss Whedon's Alien: Resurrection (the original draft).

He was so advanced and comfortable with the flow and format bending it felt like a juggling act. And a good one, at that.

Mind you, it's far from the best one I've read, but it's one I read when I was 18 and provided a turning point in my approach and mentality.

Comment

ALIEN - by Dan O'Bannon

This was the first script I remember reading that literally glued me to my seat. It didn't necessarily change the way I write, but what it did was make me realize how good a screenplay can actually be. It was easy to see why the script sold and basically launched the guys career.

It made me say to myself, "I'm going to learn how to write a script like this, even if it takes ten years."
                      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

It sold to a studio...made the screenwriter a star...attracted two big actors to the lead roles...got made....and it broke EVERY screenwriting rule I had continuously read about on this site and in books by the so called screenwriting experts.

It didn't necessarily change the way I write but it gave me the confidence to continue developing my voice on the page at a time when that confidence was dwindling.
                        Well, if it did that, that's good.

But I'd be curious to know some specifics as to what "rules" Mr. Loeb broke in his script. I've read it and certainly enjoyed the writing and the story but it didn't strike me that he was playing fast and loose with the traditions or conventional approaches that are commonly seen. He did employ some unique features but nothing that seemed to me to be "breaking rules" or the kinds of guidance we find in books on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by RTrevino
                          Kaufman's Being John Malkovich... by a landslide. Next is probably Baumbach's The Squid and the Whale.
                          Both in my top ten for sure, excellent catch.

Comment

Fabulous Baker Boys -- Steve Kloves... when I start getting fluffy, flowery, puffed up and pretentious, I go back and re-read it. Awesome use of white space, spacing, minimal decriptions (just enough you need) and a very fast read... it made me turn the page from being too novelistic in my writing to cut out the trash
                            "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Michael Clayton by Tony (double--dash) Gilroy.

That's the one that hooked me.

Comment

Working...
                              X