Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting on a sketch/variety show

The typical method of getting staffed on a show is to write some specs (not necessarily of the show you're meeting with) and some originals too.

But what would you do for SNL and MadTV? I'm well aware these shows don't really take submissions--so this is hypothetical. Would you simply submit a portfolio of your finest sketch work? Comedy bits? One-liner jokes? Or should you write some stuff using their existing characters? Part of me feels that's against the typical procedure of getting staffed, but part of me also feels you need to prove you can write in their style.

Is the goal to prove you are a great writer with great ideas and can write awesome jokes? Or do you need to make yourself seem a perfect fit for their style? Do they figure--"hey, the talent's there, he can write in our style?" What will land you the position?

Ele...

sketch/variety

You should always have a sketch packet ready. If you're submitting for a show with a monologue then a page of jokes would also be appropriate. You're correct in assuming you don't use characters already on the show. The guys who created those characters usually write those sketches anyway. If you're submitting for a weekend update position then just concentrate on the jokes since you won't be writing sketches. ::

Comment

Re: getting on a sketch/variety show

K, this is a two year old thread, but I've just been hired by MadTV as a writer on staff. My manager got me the interview.

They asked for three seperate sketches:

Topical
      Parody
      My own unique sense of comedy

They told me that's mainly what they look for. Then you sit in with the producers and discuss the sketches and your sense of humor. This way, they can see how you are in the room.

I realize it's two years late, but I hope this helps.

-B

Comment

yeah, it helps. thanks and congrats on getting staffed.
        --MIKE

http://www.myspace.com/mmd6161

Comment

Thanks.

If anyone is interested, this Sunday July 30th at 1pm, I'll be amongst others on a writer's panel Q & A at the ITV Festival. Check out the link:

www.itvfest.org

Thanks!

Comment

Bennytown,

I assume that someone can't get an interview with MAD TV/SNL without an agent or manager...so how does one go about getting an agent or manager for sketch writing when they are unknown? Am I correct in assuming you snagged your manager via another avenue of writing, and then was able to get the MAD TV interview through him?
            I chose to concentrate on sketch comedy writing, putting feature screenplays on the backburner, and decided to try out the writing program at Second City in Chicago. I will have co-written a couple of sketch shows by early next year for their lower-level stages which is good, but I've also heard that shows in these types of theaters (especially at the mainstage level) are created/written by the actors themselves and that there is usually no need for people who only write.

Any advice for an aspiring MAD TV/SNL writer? Should I try to break in via a different avenue of writing first? I know they scout for actors, but do MAD TV/SNL personnel even scout for writers in theaters like Second City?

Comment

Working...
            X