Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cinematic Masterpieces That You Hate

Well I was never a fan of Citizen Kane, Gone With the Wind or 2001. I also can't stand John Wayne and his brand of ugly Americanism. If you want a real "classic", "masterpiece", blah blah to hate on, Birth of a Nation is online.
    Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

Hate is too strong a word, as pointed out.

There are classics that don't rock my world... 2001, a lot of Hitchcock stuff like Vertigo.

The only biggy film I can think of that I have a real problem with is SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. The message of sacrifice is disgusting to me. William Goldman has a famous essay about what's wrong with it which I pretty much agree with-- phony , manipulative BS.
      Last edited by Laura Reyna; 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I don't think it's a masterpiece, but it won 3 Oscars and a truckload of awards: The Pianist. Not "hate" but really close.

As for masterpieces, I never enjoyed anything by John Ford.

Here's the William Goldman essay on Saving Private Ryan, in case someone wants to read it: http://achtenblog.blogspot.com/2007/...man-essay.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
          As for masterpieces, I never enjoyed anything by John Ford.
          Please see My Darling Clementine. Of all of the recommended Westerns, including his Stagecoach, this is the best of them all hands down. There are so many elements to talk about -- photography, story, mood, performances -- that it's my favorite.

Most film people, however, cite The Searchers as Ford's and the genre's best, though Stagecoach and some of those others (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) get high marks; I hardly ever see my fave "Clementine" mentioned.

I haven't seen Ford's The Informer, but have seen The Grapes of Wrath, which is still up there as a classic; that Dorothea Lange-like portraits of those Oakies.

Comment

I've already confessed to my total disinterest in the Godfather films. I really tried to like the first one enough to watch it through to the end. Three times I've started it and either fallen asleep or just turned it off in disgust.

I'm pretty sure that's some form of screenwriting sacrilege, but there it is.
            sigpic

Website
            Tweets
            Book

Comment

I've watched recently The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and didn't like either much, but I'll try to find My Darling Clementine. Thanks!

Comment

I've probably mentioned this before, but the ones I dislike ('hate' is too strong) are the classics, THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, and ALL ABOUT EVE.

And I watched ANNIE HALL again a few weeks ago, and...it's a time capsule and I don't think it holds up as well today. (But TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN still kicks ass.)

HH

Comment

A lot of folks would call The Shining, The Dark Knight and the original Star Wars cinematic masterpieces...but I kind of loathe those films, in an Emperor's New Clothes sort of way.
                  "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by ricther View Post
                    Although i will admit that i hate watching those british films like The Queen or The King's Speech or The Iron Lady.
                    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Something about those films just put me to sleep. I much prefer the british comedies like Death at a Funeral.

Comment

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, HIS GIRL FRIDAY, and REAR WINDOW don't grab me.

Sorry.
                        sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                          Gotta disagree. People under 25 have no idea about movies...
                          I totally disagree.

I've overheard several smart conversations between under 25's where they maturely discuss themes, direction, story etc within films.

But I also overhear the most pretentious, anal leaking crap from those in the 40+ bracket, especially when it comes to what they think is a great film, of which several are listed in this thread as those not very well liked.

Film is subjective, sure, but I wouldn't say under 25's have no idea.

Comment

And to add, I don't hate it, but I don't at all get why the f&*k everyone raves about CHINATOWN so much.

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
                              I totally disagree.

I've overheard several smart conversations between under 25's where they maturely discuss themes, direction, story etc within films.

But I also overhear the most pretentious, anal leaking crap from those in the 40+ bracket, especially when it comes to what they think is a great film, of which several are listed in this thread as those not very well liked.

Film is subjective, sure, but I wouldn't say under 25's have no idea.
                              No, they have no idea. To be fair, they didn't stand a chance.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Agree to disagree.

Why is it then that the under 25 market is so huge? If they don't know anything, how can they be the ones with the buying power? They dictate what they want to see by what they pay for and what they don't.

They've also got all the disaster films of prior generations to help them decide on what they don't like, so I'd say they stand a very good chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X