Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War movies that show war AND some diplomacy

I'm looking for films that show both forces in the field and diplomats/bureaucrats back home.

For example, if such a film exists, I'd want to find it: A film about the Korean War, it's late 1950 and the UN/US forces are doing well... but then China jumps into it. We see the guys on the ground in Korea do the fighting, and also see the US generals/diplomats/President back in Washington trying to figure out what to do.

Dr. Strangelove would fit the category I'm looking for. Though, that's mostly focused on the back-home/diplomacy stuff - versus the limited scenes with Slim Pickens, and the US troops fighting each other at the AF base. I'm hoping to find films that focus primarily on the troops.

Thanks.

Re: War movies that show war AND some diplomacy

Not about the Korean War, but LIONS FOR LAMBS shows war and diplomacy, if I remember it right.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
      Not about the Korean War, but LIONS FOR LAMBS shows war and diplomacy, if I remember it right.
      Thanks, I'll check that out.

And to clarify, that Korean War example was just an example. WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam...

Oh, and it doesn't have to be US. As long as it covers both aspects... it could be about the Boer War.

Comment

Also, I guess BEHIND ENEMY LINES kind of meets your parameters.

Comment

Perhaps one of the best example's are those two 80s miniseries based on the books by Herman Wouk: Winds of War and War and Remembrance.

Very meaty in the areas you seek.

Plus more re The Holocaust. Just as you want the combat and diplomacy, it shows the camps and the Nazi bureaucracy behind the genocide. Still one of the best windows into an examination of this obscenity by showing -- and in a way proving -- that the Holocaust did in fact happen.

There's a lot in these two miniseries all the way around and on many different levels.

Comment

Paths Of Glory

Comment

the wind that shakes the Barley (I think, been a while since I watched it)

Downfall (der untergang)

Hotel Rwanda

Braveheart

Independence day!!!!!!
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

The Phantom Menace

Comment

Can't remember for sure, but Flags of our Fathers, maybe? And its twin? The Japanese version - both by Clint Eastwood.

Also Charlie Wilson's War. Though less battlefield stuff in that one.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

Also, 3 Kings? (A fabulous often forgotten film.)
                    sigpic

Website
                    Tweets
                    Book

Comment

The Longest Day

Comment

Originally posted by Staircaseghost View Post
                        The Phantom Menace
                        Diplomacy overfloweth in that one!
                        INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
                        Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Lots of great stuff. Especially because those films approach the subject I'm dealing with in such a variety of ways - at least, based on what I've now read about them, they do. So maybe one of them will show me a better way to go - better than the options I've written down so far. It's also helpful that they're about myriad wars.

When I looked up everyone's suggestions on Netflix and Wikipedia, I found another possibility, so I'll add it here for DD posterity: Beaufort.

Oh, and to Bobby Dazzler: I mentioned the Boer War as a kinda throw-away. So at first I laughed when I saw your suggestion for a film that's actually about the Boer War! As it happens, based on the info at Wikipedia, Breaker Morant would be great. And while Netflix doesn't have the DVD, at least Amazon has it for live streaming for $3. So, thanks for that.

Thanks, all.

Comment

Also, Gallipoli? The worst that happens is you get to watch a great film, and drool over Mel Gibson before he turned whacko. And developed that American accent.

Peter Weir does all right too.
                            sigpic

Website
                            Tweets
                            Book

Comment

A TV show I know, but the last 3-4 seasons of Deep Space 9 were essentially nothing but this.
                              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X