Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entrance applause

If you're a showrunner on a multi-camera show taped before a studio audience, one decision you have to make is whether to allow entrance applause.

In the theatre, when you go to see a performance featuring a star they traditionally get a huge round of applause when they make their first entrance. And usually that first entrance is with a flourish to allow for that adoration.

On Norman Lear shows in the '70s that became standard. Same with Garry Marshall shows. Watch an episode of GOOD TIMES or LAVERNE & SHIRLEY. J.J. or Lenny & Squiggy enter and you'd think we just landed on the moon.

Other shows like those done by MTM during the same period took out the applause.

The Lear/Marshall camp contends that the viewer knows there's a studio audience and the show is being shot like a play. They're not fooling anybody so why not include the audience's appreciation of first seeing those stars they came to see?

The MTM camp contends that the applause is intrusive and takes you out of the story. They went so far as to tell audiences not to applaud during entrances. I was at a filming of RHODA where Vivian Vance was the guest star. You know her entrance would get a standing ovation. So the producers introduced her to the audience before they started filming. It gave Ms. Vance her entrance applause without affecting the show itself.

So where do I stand on this most controversial subject? I side with no applause. But for a different reason. I feel it's self-congratulatory and I try to avoid that. If the audience spontaneously claps later in the show at a big laugh or a story turn, well that ovation was earned. But just to have the audience go nuts the minute the show starts when someone enters the house with the mail - that feels like we're all patting ourselves on the back for no reason.

Also now, entrance applause sounds dated, retro, very '70s. At least to me.

I bet it's something you haven't thought much about, despite its incendiary nature. But we all have a lot of time on our hands these days, and many of us are binging - either current or vintage shows. Notice whether there's entrance applause, and whether you like it.

More...
Working...
X