Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial Plan Example/Template

Anyone have an example of a film financial plan or template that I can use?

Also, this is the first time writing one of these - anyone explain what PRO RATA - EURIMAGES means?

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by mcoonce; 07-01-2011, 05:37 AM.
    Michael Coonce

Re: Financial Plan Example/Template

Originally posted by mcoonce View Post
    Anyone have an example of a film financial plan or template that I can use?

Also, this is the first time writing one of these - anyone explain what PRO RATA - EURIMAGES means?
    I have plenty but you should explain the purpose. If it's for a feature film and for investors, you should get someone who knows how to prepare these things because you really need to have your head around contemporary film marketing to be able to draft one. I don't know your circumstances or experience but would advise against a novice submitting a financial plan to any investor or funding organization because you'll be questioned and challenged on it and need to be able to talk the talk.

Pro rata simply means in proportion, or proportionately. Pro rata Eurimages would likely refer to the proportion of a budget being put up or offered by Eurimages, depending on the context it might mean they were investing on a dollar for dollar (or Euro for Euro) basis.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

The purpose is for a feature film. The funding is a mixture of Private Equity, Tax credits and Coproductions.

I have experience with investors and raising money through angels, but not with a combination. I have three production/distribution companies requesting this document.

You're right on the experience part. Since I have always used cash, I've never needed nor prepared a Financial Plan; even for PE.
      Michael Coonce

Comment

you should probably visit a filmmakers site/forum for these kinds of questions.

don't know if this is what you're looking for but http://www.sonnyboo.com/downloads/downloads.htm
        scroll down to the "budget" for a sample excel sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
          you should probably visit a filmmakers site/forum for these kinds of questions.

don't know if this is what you're looking for but http://www.sonnyboo.com/downloads/downloads.htm
          scroll down to the "budget" for a sample excel sheet.
          That looks more like a budget than a financial plan. This is kinda the problem with these things - they all look very similar to the rest of us (and are even called the same things for non-business use) but are totally different to people who use them.

I suspect the financial plan they are after is more to do with where the money is going to be coming from, with a plan for how the parts of the money that come in later are going to be cash flowed.

For example, the production may be getting a offset from a funding body to get business into a certain state ... but that money is going to be useless for production if it is paid only after production is complete. So there needs to be a cash-flow loan, with a completion guarantee, etc.

I second the idea of teaming up with someone who knows this kind of area well. Personally I'm sick of seeing a continual stream of offer documents/information memorandums/prospectuses that are clearly written by people who may be incredible experts in other areas - but don't quite understand this particular area well. (And since I'm not exactly an expert in them, I suspect the guys who do this for a living can drive trucks through the holes that are in them)

The odd thing is that recently I came across an older IM for a project that was surprisingly well thought out & well written. Sure enough, some quick research showed that the film had been successfully funded about a year and a half later and has been made successfully.

A coincidence? I don't think so. There's only one other offer that has crossed my path recently that seemed to call 'fund me' - that one hasn't been fully financed yet but I suspect it has a good chance.

Mac
          New blogposts:
          *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
          *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
          *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
          *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
            That looks more like a budget than a financial plan.
            Yes, that example is definitely a budget and not a financial plan. A financial plan is essentially a document (based around a specific budget) which outlines the investment required for producing all stages of a movie including the initial marketing campaign and often the proposed sources of that investment, projected sales figures, and a strategy and schedule for re-paying the investment. A financial pan and prospectus are often similar documents.

As well as outlying a movie's capitalization and investment structure, a financial plan usually describes the movie itself, the genre, and often a synopsis of a few paragraphs. It also discusses how similar films in that genre have performed in the market recently, which key talent has committed in front of and behind the camera and how their recent movies performed, who the audience is and why the movie is expected to reach that audience, the sales agent analysis if any, and the proposed marketing strategy.

The third key component of a financial plan is a breakdown of anticipated revenue streams, who gets re-paid first and what the profit share is. This aspect of the FP has to make it clear the author(s) have a good understanding of current revenue trends because if this part of it looks flaky the whole thing falls aparts. A FP will often include charts and/or graphs, will also detail legal and creative representation, and last but not least, outline who is managing/producing the project with bio/credentials for each.

FPs come in different shapes and sizes but they are typically 20-40 pages or more depending on the complexity of the investment structure. Some are more creative, illustrated documents, some are more business-like focussing on bullet points and numbers. But it's essential that the person reading it can see that it's written by someone who knows what they're talking about because this will be the difference between it being taken seriously and dismissed. Even given the OP's experience I strongly recommend seeking the assistance of someone who has done this before.

Comment

That's interesting. What you are describing is called an 'Information Memorandum' locally - especially if they are pitched at getting the reader to invest. (It's basically a prospectus without it necessarily having to stress over matching the exact legal definition of a prosectus)

Here are a couple of local (Aussie) examples:

They are both publicly available - I'm not breaking any NDAs or confidences by sharing these - especially since I just found them in the first place by using google. If you search with the right keywords you'll find them too.

The second link is an example that has already attracted some overseas investment.

Mac
              Last edited by Mac H.; 07-03-2011, 06:52 AM. Reason: Edited to add links to original source files - so the owners have the option to remove them later if they want to.
              New blogposts:

Comment

Frankly, I think this stuff needs to be looked at by everybody, even if you don't understand it and your eyes glaze over. Movie-making is a business. There are "shareholders" and investors, and there's risk and return on investment and marketing. Great stuff! It's amazing -- the big fuss we provoke when we write our little stories, isn't it!

Comment

What you are describing is called an 'Information Memorandum' locally - especially if they are pitched at getting the reader to invest. (It's basically a prospectus without it necessarily having to stress over matching the exact legal definition of a prosectus)

Here are a couple of local (Aussie) examples:
                  Very similar beasts and the two examples you've posted are excellent for someone to get an overview of the sort of content a financial plan (information memorandum) needs to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
                    ... the two examples you've posted are excellent for someone to get an overview of the sort of content a financial plan (information memorandum) needs to deal with.
                    You'd almost think that's why I chose those examples.

If they wanted bad examples .. I have many more of those.

Mac
                    New blogposts:

Comment

That's interesting. What you are describing is called an 'Information Memorandum' locally - especially if they are pitched at getting the reader to invest. (It's basically a prospectus without it necessarily having to stress over matching the exact legal definition of a prosectus)

Here are a couple of local (Aussie) examples:They are both publicly available - I'm not breaking any NDAs or confidences by sharing these - especially since I just found them in the first place by using google. If you search with the right keywords you'll find them too.

The second link is an example that has already attracted some overseas investment.

Mac
                      Hello Everyone,

I'm reviving this thread because I also need to get some example on the financial plan. The links above doesn't work anymore. Would someone be able to send me an example?

Thank you
                      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-28-2020, 05:38 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting/spacing

Comment

Working...
                      X