Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Paramount ditches Blu-Ray

According to Neilsen/Videoscan sales data, (the only figures that count), Blu has won every week this year and certainly nothing has changed. HD-DVD is dead outside of the US and slowly bleeding to death domestically.

Take recently - even in HD-DVD's big week of Bourne and with their BOGO sales they still lost 61%-39%to Blu, who had no new releases of note.

Anyone who is really bored can read about it here:
    http://forums.highdefdigest.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

I wouldn't be surprised if studios drop HD-DVD, the money lost on a few HD-DVD is more than madeup by the benefits of one format, and consumer confusion is not in their interests.

I really can't see HD-DVD taking the win so I hope its death is a swift, baring any 'Paramount' incidents, that win that will be sometime in 2008, probably earlier than later.

Comment

Top message on that forum link:

Bourne, Harry Potter HD DVDs outpacing Blu-ray titles By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 12/21/2007

DEC. 21 | Fourth-quarter HD DVD releases The Bourne Ultimatum and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix are outpacing similarly high-profile Blu-ray titles, according to Universal Studios Home Entertainment and other industry research sources.

In its first week on sale, starting Dec. 11, the Bourne single-disc HD DVD configuration sold 60,000 units, doubling the 30,000 units Spider-Man 3 sold during its street week in its similar individual Blu-ray SKU. Counting other configurations, including its BD trilogy, Spider-Man 3 reached higher six-day numbers, according to distributor Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Universal could only provide data on the Bourne single SKU. But the studio expects the pattern to continue when sales information can be gathered in the next several days for its own HD DVD Bourne trilogy set.

Additionally, notes Universal research, Warner Home Video's HD DVD release of Order of the Phoenix is edging out the titles' BD version by a 55-to-45 ratio. Order of the Phoenix also streeted Dec. 11. That claim matches information gathered from Amazon.com sales rankings in recent weeks.

These HD DVD success stories do mark a reversal from the overall trend of BD titles topping its rival.

Comment

Hey Captain Jack, I realize the rum may have killed a few brain cells, but please try and read what I type this time:

Well, the November and mid-December 2007 sales figures are in, and in terms of dual-releases, HD-DVD copies are outselling their BR counterparts by a wide margin. 60-40 or higher in most cases, and this news is being widely reported, so check out Yahoo news for verification or Amazon sales lists for the truly anal.

Get it? Harry Potter is available in both formats - HD-DVD is outselling BR in Nov/Dec, Blade Runner Collector's is available in both, HD-DVD is outselling BR in Nov/Dec, etc., etc.

That is fact, and you cannot dispute it.

Also check out the Amazon Best-sellers in DVD/HD/BR:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...f=pd_dp_ts_d_1

Comment

Working...
        X