Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: District 9 - "Landmark Film"

Anyone who thinks Transformers 2 is better than District 9 NEEDS THEIR HEAD F#@KING EXAMINED. This you tube kid is a dumb ass.
    Excedrin Migraine. Red Bull. Fade in.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
      Such advanced weaponry and they just let the humans cut their way into the ship? No explanation is given as to why they were just sitting there, floating above Earth.
      They were out of fuel, and probably didn't assume we were such hostile jerks right off the bat.

Originally posted by tha son View Post
      *Spoiler*

Can anybody tell me why the aliens didn't use their guns throughout the past 20 years before the guy came along? Were they waiting for them? You would think no matter how stupid they were that they would still know how to pull the trigger and shoot.

And secondly, why were there such a vast intelligence difference between the aliens? Some of them were average, of human-level intelligence, one was practically an engineering genius, and then another lot of them were full on ape-status, rummaging around for trash and just acting dumb. That confused me.
      In regards to the first question, why didn't more Jews fight back during the Holocaust?

In regards to the second question, don't you think that our own species has a similar range of intelligence? We produced Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton, but we also produced the Ku Klux Klan and the WWE.

I give the movie a 10/10, but I did notice what I thought was a story shortcut that could have been handled a little bit better.

SPOILER:

The alien gasoline is the same stuff that turns Wikus into an alien? That's kind of convenient, right?

Comment

Originally posted by loopdesign
        Agreed, Mori was the most discriminating and certainly the best writer of the bunch (and a working screenwriter).
        Agreed. That being said, I quite dislike his new site (HitFix) and stumbled across this recently:

http://geocities.com/drewmcweenylove...vlovreview.htm

Which tears apart his purported screenwriting ability. I did enjoy one of his Masters of Horror episodes though, Cigarette Burns

Comment

I loved this movie. Way the heck better than Transformers 2.

Comment

Can't wait. Seeing it Sunday.
            I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

This movie was so good! I...I don't have words.

I agree that the fuel/infectant tube was a little convenient. And the alien Christopher being held down by the bald bad guy near the end was a little confusing (they'd established aliens were way stronger than humans). I could probably pick apart some other things but none of it matters because *emotionally* the movie was so powerful. That's why you create great characters, so that people don't focus on all the things you did wrong in your screenplay.

Great film!
              Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think this is a classic, but it was a pretty good flick precisely for the reason Scriptshadow said: Emotion.

SPOILERS:

I liked that the father-in-law was a major dick, and I don't think I've hated anyone in a movie before quite like this guy. Great stuff. I think the main character was fantastic, a perfect combination of bureaucrat/average guy, and I think it helped the movie tremendously. 'Cause there were some plot holes and inconsistencies that bothered me.

The POV was a problem for me, in that I think it could've been done a little more coherently. However, once you let yourself go with it, it's fine.

My biggest problem all had to do with that craft buried in the ground. I'll go with the convenience of the black stuff being both a fuel/DNA-changer, and I'll even go with a little kid able to pilot the shuttle craft, AND I'll go with the ability of 'Christopher' and Wikus making it through the city to get to the MNU building, but...BUT...

Why didn't Christopher just go ahead and use the stuff in the beginning? He's got the stuff, use it. Go underground, and just go. Also, when the shuttle was downed, there should've been a perimeter set up around the craft by the soldiers/mercs. This was the piece of the mothership that they never found so there would've been more urgency in getting to that craft.

Having said all that, it's still a good movie, and I'd recommend it to others.

Comment

Oh yeah...this was a good one. It has cult classic stamped all over it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Errraaaghhhh. The wait is killing me. It's already out down here, but I don't get any time off till Monday. So sick of everyone I run into telling me, "dude, you've gotta see this film. It's nuts."
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Just have to agree with everyone else, this movie was really refreshing and great. It's a movie that really captured that "movie magic" feel of the old days. It was just so original and awesome and if you just let yourself go with it, the movie just sweeps you off your feet and immerses you in this strangely familiar yet totally fictional world. The action was particularly stunning, and of course the emotion. It was tragic, yet epic and satisfying.

Just an all around fantastic flick. I loved it, the theater loved it. It was cinema at its finest.

Also, I'm surprised by the 88% RottenTomatoes score. I just... I can see how some people might quibble, but this was just a damn solid movie. I just fail to see how anybody could possibly come out of this unimpressed and unaffected by it. Whatever. In the end word of mouth will do this flick justice, not just the reviews. Plus, the tomatometer is kind of bulls**t.

--WW
                      Last edited by WalterWhite; 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM.
                      Trying to write, failing miserably.

Comment

Just saw it...

If you had asked me right when leaving the theater what I thought, I would have said "I liked it." After thinking about it for a couple of hours, I am at "really liked it."

I agree with whoever it was that said they had some issue with the POV (sorry, I'm not able to come up with a name after scrolling through...). I loved the whole documentary-style opening, but felt there could have been a better transition between the two styles. Storywise, this is probably trivial.

I am getting ready to move to South Africa in January (Cape Town, though, not Jo'burg), and so I have been reading a lot about Apartheid - something I don't think the average American knows much about. Although this was definitely a one-sided commentary on Apartheid, (I find it fascinating that there are still huge chunks of South Africa's black population who mourn the passing of Apartheid) I hope this movie brings South Africa's history to light for more people outside of southern Africa.
                        ~* Kelsey *~

http://kelseytalksaboutmovies.blog.com/

Comment

holy sh&t....i was never hyped about this movie but after reading all of your comments i think i need to go see this tomorrow asap....damn. yall are hyped up, lol. thats what i like to hear. i need to see a good movie right about now.
                          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Well, I'll be "that" guy and say that the writing was lazy as a box of rocks, and when thrown at the head, just as subtle.

The internal logic was as sturdy as wet handwipes, the inciting incident was straight out of Cold War b-movie sci-fi where the dude gets a dose of radition and turns half-man/half-whatever, and all the posturing about xenophobia was nothing but filler until the big FPS video game finale.

I wasn't bored, but it's nothing I'd watch again. Just seemed like the 2001 for folks that loved Transformers. If SyFy had 30 mil to throw at one of their productions, this might be what they'd come up with.
                            Last edited by Signal30; 08-15-2009, 10:44 PM.
                            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I couldn't read the linked "review" in the OP as it was thoroughly retarded.

I'll look the log-line up on IMDb when I can so be bothered.
                              Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                                Well, I'll be "that" guy and say that the writing was lazy as a box of rocks, and when thrown at the head, just as subtle.

The internal logic was as sturdy as wet handwipes, the inciting incident was straight out of Cold War b-movie sci-fi where the dude gets a dose of radition and turns half-man/half-whatever, and all the posturing about xenophobia was nothing but filler until the big FPS video game finale.
                                I actually agree with much of what you said, and I think those are valid criticisms.

However, I have to point out that a lot of my own criticisms are overshadowed by my reaction to the acting. I think it was solid all the way around, especially Sharlto Copley, and I think it elevated the mediocrity of the script.

This is going to sound kind of silly, but I liken it to My Cousin Vinny: a mediocre script that had great acting, and made it a pretty decent flick.

Comment

Working...
                                X