AVATAR--I have the sneaking suspicion....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AVATAR--I have the sneaking suspicion....

Personally, I'm extremely put off by the barrage of "teh greatest film ever!!!" advertising. I know hyperbole is like air for marketing types, but having to endure every single day commercials that declare this to be the future of movies, the one that's going to change everything and how nothing will be same again ever because of this is making me wanting to skip it entirely. Or at least wait until the hype dies down.

Comment

Originally posted by madyellowduck View Post
      Cameron isn't just selling a movie here - he's selling a technology, that promises the entertainment industry a new generation of films that will offer audiences an entirely different cinematic experience. The film might arguably almost be an afterthought, a proof-of-concept as it were of the technology.
      That's not promising. I go to movies to see interesting stories, not get introduced to technology. I don't even know what the new technology is for this film, some mix of 3D and something?

The promos haven't sold me on the film.
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

I'm not convinced either..

I saw 2012 recently and apart from the wonderful CGI I considred the story and characters to be awful..

I think I'm going to be equally disappointed by Avatar but this is me. I'm sure they will be a lot of folk who will like it, the regular punter and all..

I worked out the twist in the story from watching 2 Avatar trailers and wondered if this is all this movie has to offer as a story I'd be better whacking off instead cos at least I'd get something out of it..

Comment

Kevan, I like the way you're making the comparison of 2012 to Avatar based on the fact that both of them have extensive CG effects. 2012's story and characters sucked, which means Avatar's probably will too. You're a screenwriter aren't you? We know story is what makes or breaks a film (success based on quality, not box office). Emmerich has only ever written 1 film that I'd say I enjoyed, and that was Stargate. Cameron has written some of the most entertaining films I've ever watched. Surely that counts for something.

Comment

Cameron's written one film I've somewhat enjoyed and a whole load of ones that I've found tedious and bland. Surely that counts for something?

Comment

it does. Save your money and don't go, but I find it silly comparing 2012 to Avatar just because of the use of CG. That's like saying 2 women are going to have similar personalities because they both have huge breasts.

Comment

Originally posted by JItkonen View Post
                Cameron's written one film I've somewhat enjoyed and a whole load of ones that I've found tedious and bland. Surely that counts for something?
                Which one did you like?
                Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

I think Cameron is a god, but I'm not sure this will go over as well as some people think either. When you consider all the greap leaps forward hw has made before; the seawater creature in the Abyss, the liquid metal effects of T2, the digital augmentation of Titanic. They were achieved under the guise of creating something innovative and magical and putting it in the context of our world that we know and understand. Here it is the whole world that is changed, and I'm not sure people are ready for that.
                  Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                    Which one did you like?
                    Titanic. The first and last hours, to be exact. Everything with just DiCaprio and Winslet talking is soul crushingly awful, but the historical aspects and the sinking are marvelous.

I'd say Aliens would be a close second, a distant one at that.

Comment

My biggest pet peeve of the movie will be the people that actually go watch this in 2D standard.

It's gonna make me so angry when I see people in line for the regular theater. You should only see this movie in 2D if you have some weird eye issues or there isn't an IMAX within 100 miles of you. Other than, you owe it to yourself to see it in IMAX 3D. If you don't, you're the biggest retard of all-time. The extra 5 bucks will be worth it, trust me, you won't go bankrupt.

Comment

It premiered in London last night. No full reviews yet (Fox embargoed) but the Guardian says "really much, much better than expected"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/...avatar-preview

Apparently the last 20 minutes are epic

Comment

Looking forward to this. One more week!

WOOT!

Comment

Jeez. I've never seen so many people hyped up, freaked out, scared of, or so utterly obsessed with a movie Moreover it seems people WANT this film to fail. Ok fine. So if it fails, then what? You think it'll somehow give the rest of us a BETTER chance of getting our OWN movies made? I say that because I can't see any reason for people to freak out about this.

I think it looks like an entertaining movie. So they're space kitties in space with dances with wolves! Whoop dee doo!

Comment

People are more bitter these days. If they're not succeeding, they don't want to see other people succeed. Here's some tweets:

@petershall: "The AVATAR buzz is an understatement. That movie was unbelievable."

@dmann11: "Holy effing crap!!! Avatar was FREAKING AWESOME KICK ASS SWEET!!!!!"

@TheGate: "For the record 'Avatar' was worth the $400 million, and no it is not even remotely "vomit inducing".

@gholson: "Specacular. A visual feast and the new benchmark in cinematic world building."

@chasewhale: "Just finished AVATAR. Special effects were top notch. The movie ran a little long for my likings but I liked it!"

@comingsoonnet" "Okay, about Avatar?.... WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! Unbelievable... amazing."

@MikePereira21: Was blown away by Avatar! For 150 minutes, I was a kid again. Thank you James Cameron! BTW, the groundbreaking 3D was mindblowing."

@rejects: "I'm not supposed to talk about Avatar... That said, it was a spectacular experience. Like nothing I've seen before."

@markwalters74: "Just saw AVATAR. Not allowed to talk about it yet. Not allowed to say how it's an amazing visual feast, or that Jimmy C's still got the gift."

@massawyrm: "So I just got back from a movie. It was pretty great...if by pretty great I mean OMFGHOLY****INGSHITOMGOMGOMG Because that's what it was ... Oh, and if I hear one more "Dances with Wolves" joke I'm gonna throw up in my mouth. Has no one seen DUNE? Because this was DUNE. In a good way ...You have officially been to your last Con in which blue people, spoken Navi and the word "hometree" were absent."

Comment

Originally posted by JItkonen View Post
                                Titanic. The first and last hours, to be exact. Everything with just DiCaprio and Winslet talking is soul crushingly awful, but the historical aspects and the sinking are marvelous.
                                You've just lost all credibility when it comes to James Cameron and his films if you're seriously declaring TITANIC his greatest film. I love Cameron -- and I admit I saw TITANIC in theatres more times than I'd care to admit -- but I think most of his fans would not rank that movie as his greatest (11 Oscars and $1.6 billion B.O. be damned....)

It's a good film that suffers greatly on account of a pretty awful script and some piss-poor acting.

Comment

Working...
                                X