No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing a Location Where the Writer has Never been

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
    Err ... I'm not sure that's the entire job of writing? Plenty of people write about their own immediate surroundings and life situations.

The OP is asking about a place they've never even visited? That's pretty disconnected in my opinion. A male can write about a female, but a male has encountered and spent vast hours with females before doing so and has some context.

Looking at photos on a web search and reading wiki entries alone - is it enough for context? I would absolutely suggest to visit the place when possible if you have no context at all to it.

It can be done without it, but you're making the job tons of times harder than it needs to be.

I have written about cultures outside of my own, but I've at least visited.
    If you want to parse my turn of phrase - yes, there is actually, literally more to writing than that. You win.

Sure, I'd love to visit Vietnam. Hasn't happened. Guess what? I still set the project up because it's my job to make you think I've been there. I'm not making it harder. That's the job.

Off to google lunar surface photos.

Comment

It is doable and possible to sell those kind of projects no doubt. And congratulations if that is indeed what you did.

Easy case in point. I live in a Nordic country. The film Midsommar is pretty much a joke out here. It laughably makes no sense. People went to see it because of how silly it is not because of how scary it is.

Comment

And it was well liked critically and made $50M on a sub-$10M budget. What's your point?

Comment

Working...
        X