No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feature or TV

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
    I wish this advice was true because it would be great to write 40 million dollar films. The problem? No one is making them in any significant numbers and even then they're mostly recognizable IPs. If one or two slip in a year, they're from established writers or writer / directors. Producers ARE looking for the next Hell or High Water which was written, according to Taylor Sheridan, as a 5 million dollar film. It ballooned to 12m with the attached talent.

There are tons of producers with access to 1 to 5 million budgets. There are a lot fewer producers as you get past those figures. And screw managers who say they can't make money on sending out scripts in that range. I fired one about 10 seconds after he said that to me, sent the script to my agent who loved it and is shopping it. Look at who has writing assignments on studio films and where they came from originally. Successful low budget films.

Of course you think about budget if you're trying to break in. It's about getting credits. It's about getting produced. I'll take the hundreds of producers who can make a low budget film over the maybe 25 that can make a 40 million dollar film every day. Those hundreds of producers won't even read a script with a 10+ million dollar budget because they dont have that kind of money. How do I know this? Talking to these producers who ask me what new I have in the 5 million range. Two calls yesterday. I send a pitch to one, 2 scripts to another.

The days of the mid-range film for new writers is gone. They're either based on IPs, true stories or from established writers or selected Nicholl winners. I wish this wasn't true, but from everything I see and hear, it is. You need to write accordingly.

This is also my current MODEL. I'm kinda sick of generals and not getting produced. I've had a general lead somewhere exactly ONCE!

On my new one (the one that's going out now), the film version could have been done for 5 mil or less. I think I could do it for 2 mil. My manger was cool with me attaching as director in that price range. But, then it was turned into a TV show and I'm obviously out as director. But, that's more where I'm focused right now. I've tried to go big studio route and all I get is generals, so I figure it's time to try something different.

But, I think you still need to hang on to your "This MUST be high concept and/or look like an Oscar contender" mentality even at that much lower budget.

Have you seen UPGRADE? It looks beautiful. It looks like a 30 mil movie (they even had a fukkin car chase!). Smart choices got that movie MADE. Smart directing kept it on budget. That's when I knew for sure I needed to drop my budgets. Sci-fi/Action for 5mil... Gross 16 mil = successful.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      And I just like to point out every piece of advice given by an industry person someone else disagrees or have a different POV. And they aren't buying this today, but tomorrow they are.

If we all listened to every piece of advice, we would never be able to write anything because according to the advice there's no point...
      True... so GO WITH GOD! Ha!

Comment

Producer friend: Don't worry about budget. Make a great script. That's all that matters from a writing standpoint. If you're thinking of what YOU can make then sure, keep budget in mind.

Pro writer friend with big comedy movie last year: When you go into pre-pro, they'll make you rewrite what they can't afford. Just write a great script -- that's all that matters.

I never rely on just my dumb thoughts. I ask others. I'm skeptical of even myself.

Comment

Man, it's a mindfukk!

My creatives' friends are all doing different sh!t. Different approaches.

-Writing spec features just to sell

-Writing to direct

-Writing small sh!t with foreign financing (his last film financed shady as fukk, got made tho)

-Writing for TV

-Directing music vids wanting to direct features

They all have different advice... "No, dude, you gotta ______!"

All of them are like "Dude, you're a way better writer than me... how the fukk haven't you gotten something MADE yet?" ME: Dunno... Idiot????

Comment

add short film, novel, article and go viral to that list...

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              add short film, novel, article and go viral to that list...
              Yup... true!

Comment

EdFury -- I agree. I think 5, 10 million, that's the sweet spot. Hell or High Water was a good movie. It is important to think about budget when writing a screenplay, because it's part of a business plan. Artists can design the craziest concept cars, but those are not the cars that are getting made. As a side note, Hunger Games would not have gotten made with just the script and no book.

Gucci -- I have seen Upgrade and I loved it. As for why you haven't gotten something made, I don't know you, but from what I do see, you're very driven, and very talented. The one time I went to LA and spent several days there, I met quite a few people who were writers, directors, actors, etc, and for some reason, everyone wanted to send me their script. Tbh, I did not read even one good script. These were from people who had gotten paid at some point for either their writing/directing/acting. Some people believe they are better than they really are, and that does not seem like you. You seem like a humble guy who's working hard to get to the top -- and I believe you will get there.

Bono -- that is a fantastic idea. I have been writing a short for 6 months now. It's 10 pages, and I've rewritten it 15 times, all the same concept, all different structures. There are a few people attached who are impatiently waiting for me to finish. I am also working on a novel. So I agree, anything to get our work out there. But, and this is just my opinion, it is important not to compromise quality. Sometimes people seem really eager to make something. They throw a short together and say "I can't wait to show this to my reps." I'd rather have 3 credits on my IMDB profile when I retire, and all of them award-worthy, highly rated and known, than have 35 credits, most of which are things none of us have ever heard of.

Comment

Working...
                X