X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Note about Notes

Originally posted by Friday View Post
    Thanks.

And I am too lazy to click back to past pages to quote it, but just wanted to say I super agree with what you had to say about the "note on notes."
    thanks.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      I was watching Joker last night and basically the main character does stuff that would basically turn off the audience. But, I looked at the audience's reaction and they were eating it up. They were riveted and I could tell they were engaged when they laughed during the break the tension comic relief scenes. Watching a ton of movies a year (and seeing many sugarcoated movies that are afraid to offend), I appreciate a movie that takes chances walking the tightrope.
      Sounds like my kinda flick... added to list. *wink*
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        I totally agree with this and I have sent my rom-com to writers with the note about my concerns and whether subplots should/could be removed. it's a great way to get really good notes.

and i will say that Titan Creed is very accepting of this kind of upfront information. It was a first draft so, you know, needs work. but he was totally on board with focusing on my specific concerns. So the notes i feel were very streamlined to what i needed as a writer.
        So you finished the new Rom/Com?

Stoked! Congrats!

My biggest mistake after sending something out (reading it again AFTER I sent it. Why do I do that! *SLAMS HEAD AGAINST WALL*). "You mutha fukkin typo... where were you on my last read!?"

Typo giggles "There's more of us... WATCH!"

Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
          So you finished the new Rom/Com?

Stoked! Congrats!

My biggest mistake after sending something out (reading it again AFTER I sent it. Why do I do that! *SLAMS HEAD AGAINST WALL*). "You mutha fukkin typo... where were you on my last read!?"

Typo giggles "There's more of us... WATCH!"

Ha!
          i'm rewriting the first draft now. first act looks good it's tight. but now i'm in a position to rethink 2A, and I want to stream line it by cutting ten pages down so i can end around 108. i'm dreading that. but i need to simplify how the girls get to the 16 starting point.

each of the girls have a story point of view, so there's some set up for each of the four additional girls.

nevermind, going off on a tangent there. sorry. i'm trying to get the second draft done in two more weeks cuz i'll be traveling to CT and going to Austin. i love it but want to start on a new project.

ugh.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            i'm rewriting the first draft now. first act looks good it's tight. but now i'm in a position to rethink 2A, and I want to stream line it by cutting ten pages down so i can end around 108. i'm dreading that. but i need to simplify how the girls get to the 16 starting point.

each of the girls have a story point of view, so there's some set up for each of the four additional girls.

nevermind, going off on a tangent there. sorry. i'm trying to get the second draft done in two more weeks cuz i'll be traveling to CT and going to Austin. i love it but want to start on a new project.

ugh.
            Cool. That's a good "ugh."

Enjoy your trip!

Comment

Last thoughts on this....

1. It's much easier to give notes to good going to be great scripts than terrible ones. So keep that in mind when sometimes you get terrible notes -- well maybe you gave them nothing to work with. Hard to do intention when you gave them a pile of rubbish to try and decode.

2. Find note givers that click with you. Same with reps. It's not easy. I rarely get feedback on my notes. It seems 99% of what I write to people, they say nothing or they fight back. So it's never like "thanks for much." Maybe on here. So I don't know honestly why any of us do it free. I guess we're stupid. Our managers don't read our crap for free.... they are doing it to make money off us.

3. It's always your script when getting notes from friends. Easy to go back and forth.

4. When you get into Hollywood, it won't be your script anymore. Welcome to hell! If you argue every point, you won't last very long. Got to "take the notes" then do the ones that work for you.

5. Don't ask for notes if you don't want them. This seems simple, but some writers I know don't really want them. Or need them.

6. I spent more time giving notes the past two months than writing. Don't do that! That's bad! Find a balance.

7. Get off DD. Oh wait, that's not about notes.

8. Good luck.

3 more to go...

Comment

Working...
              X