Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking Boards

Been a long time since I used trackingb for seeing what specs go out. But for years I loved it. How is it these days?

Is there a better service?

Is there a hidden gem where the stuff is just out there for free?

I get some info on here on front page about stuff that sold, but not the stuff that just went out to try and sell.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-07-2020, 08:44 AM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Tracking Boards

Good question.

I've never really understood what constitutes what goes on them and what doesn't (producer attached?). For example is mine on them right now? No idea? I'd be curious to know. Anyone got the 411 on this?
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I want to know what the people inside use. Do you get a secret website where you see stuff? The reps for sure must have one where they see stuff and tell everyone MY SPEC IS OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        I want to know what the people inside use. Do you get a secret website where you see stuff? The reps for sure must have one where they see stuff and tell everyone MY SPEC IS OUT.
        I actually don't think so, unless it's fairly new. I can tell you that my ex never looked at any tracking boards. The bigger agents feel tracking boards are for the kids to fool around on. I can also say that when we were out with XXXX XXXX, I have no idea if it was on a tracking board, maybe, but that was the last thing on our mind. We never checked to see if it was, that was totally irrelevant. Everyone in town knew the property was out. Word spreads fast on something like that.

I can guarantee you that there are many (most?) high level agents that don't really know what tracking boards even ARE (I mean vaguely, but not really). Yet, newer writers assume they mean something to everyone in town. The people repping A-list folks have likely never been on a tracking board, read a Nicholl winner nor read anything on the real Blacklist (unless it's a their client's script), why bother...

Comment

I hear you, but the last time went out with a spec, old managers and other people emailed us "good luck" so word gets out somehow... It was like an hour later after it went out...

Comment

i was told by my manager-not-manager that trackingb is basically a vanity site for writers and that no one in the industry looks to them. he told me that if i wanted it to show up on on TrackingB he'd call them and have it listed. i said, no, if no one in the industry uses it, i don't need to see it. in hindsight at least i would have known where it was. but anywho.

i emailed the guy that runs TrackingB and asked him and he said sure they'll put it up all you have to do is email him the details.

studios have internal tracking boards that list where a spec or project is at inside their company: when it comes in, what the status is, and they use this information to "track" its progress. has it been read, has it been covered, those types of things.

from what he said there isn't an "industry tracking board" where every looks to see who has what spec and which territories are assigned.

if that's the kind of information you're looking for then deadline.com, the Hollywood reporter, and Variety will probably have the most current information.

but if you think about it, a lot of that information would naturally remain "inside" a company because they don't want to start a bidding war on something they're interested in and they don't want people assuming something's being purchased when its not.

i think "word gets around" because assistants probably talk to each other.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Yeah, I think it's probably assistants talking to their friends and spreading word like little rats.

I mean, how did my ex know I was on here? And how many "steps" was it to get that intel back to her? She claimed that 2 people told her. This town talks.

Maybe her assistant lurks here and figured it out. Or maybe her assistant's friend lurks here, figured it out, told her assistant who then told her. I forget, but I think it was only 1 day after I said what I said. I was only surprised it wasn't the same day. Word travels fast. I just looked, she text me at 11:32 am. Which tells me someone probably emailed her the same day I said it, maybe within minutes, but that she prob hadn't seen the email yet. I'm 100% positive she'd never visit this site herself.

So...

1) There's definitely people lurking here that know people.

2) That's proof of how fast word travels.

Comment

I"m almost positive YOU told her and whole world you were on here --- it was like seconds after you showed us your picture... maybe there is some google alert thing she can use to track you. Just saying, you're 2 seconds away from positing your SSN and home address.

Also if anyone is reading this in Hollywood, notice how fun my posts are and how well written. Don't you want to work with and sell my brilliant work? Tell all high profile agents and managers. Thank you!

Comment

We've gone off track.

I used to use and love trackingb -- seeing what specs where going out, loglines and that helped me figure out which reps I'd like to work with. Who to target. Who did comedy. And then I learned names of producers, etc and more how the process worked.

But I haven't used it in years... and never used the other service.

So has anyone actually used either of this recently? Maybe it's just not as good as it used to be or it's all available for free on website ______. You know?

Comment

I"m almost positive YOU told her and whole world you were on here --- it was like seconds after you showed us your picture... maybe there is some google alert thing she can use to track you. Just saying, you're 2 seconds away from positing your SSN and home address.

Also if anyone is reading this in Hollywood, notice how fun my posts are and how well written. Don't you want to work with and sell my brilliant work? Tell all high profile agents and managers. Thank you!
                    Nah... I just posted my pic because I don't really care who knows it's me at this point. And why do people (little rats) really give a fukk? If I was lying, I'd get it, but I ain't. Dude, 15 minutes of privacy is over. So, fukk it. I'm sure my social is already online somewhere. But my point was, this place is basically dead and it still got back to her in ONE DAY.

But I agree... your posts are funny. SOMEONE HIRE THIS GUY! WTF!?

Comment

We've gone off track.

I used to use and love trackingb -- seeing what specs where going out, loglines and that helped me figure out which reps I'd like to work with. Who to target. Who did comedy. And then I learned names of producers, etc and more how the process worked.

So has anyone actually used either of this recently? Maybe it's just not as good as it used to be or it's all available for free on website ______. You know?
                      Back on track:

Would be cool if there was a legit tracking system that told us EVERYTHING that's going out. Would be cool to see who's going out with what. But I don't think that exists.

Comment

I use Tracking Board forums to find scripts. That's it. Example - I'm on a Tony Gilroy binge and found the script that became Beirut. Lots of times, it's the only place I can find a script I want to read. So it's very good for that.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                          Back on track:
                          Would be cool if there was a legit tracking system that told us EVERYTHING that's going out. Would be cool to see who's going out with what. But I don't think that exists.
                          I'm pretty sure there still are, of course. But no one board will cover everything and the whole purpose of the the tracking boards, in general, is to allow small groups to privately discuss material, of course.

I had a friend/acquaintance -- good guy -- who worked at a company that provided & managed numerous tracking boards for creative executives and reps. Due to privacy I couldn't hang out & nose around on them, but he let me do a quick look and gave me a general overview. Granted things have probably changed some, but he would help create mini, private forums similar to what we have here for different groups of people. Multiple "boards." A group of CEs would request a tracking board of their own. Some agents would too. Also some managers. And some combo groups of the latter. Trusted friends & colleagues. Some quid pro & quo was part of it. I seem to remember him saying someone would get booted if they didn't contribute. This allowed a small group of professionals to frankly discuss material/scripts, writers, and as I recall him saying, even individuals they were dealing with in town. If someone wanted to join a particular group, he'd have to clear it with the group. In some cases, he'd even suggest someone for the group if he thought they would be a good fit for that group. But all pretty exclusive and were what tracking boards truly were and I'm pretty sure still are, of course.

More people might be using Facebook or other sites that allow private groups to operate with secrecy & extreme privacy but limited to trusted group. I don't think anyone could truly collect all the info for everything into one place, since there is simply too much to try to track. It'd take a Herculean effort. You'd have to access to numerous tracking groups/boards out there and constantly be getting info from them. And if some site or service did, it would surely defeat the purpose. Plus, the members wouldn't want to be so open and frank about their various comments. It's like teens going out on their own with friends or on a date vs. being stuck with their parents or a chaperon. Not the same things said, discussed or done.
                          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-24-2019, 09:28 AM. Reason: Rewrite/polish
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

We've gone off track.

Yeah, I've been doing this as well. I've been using the Blcklst to figure out who to target, but it doesn't give me a current understanding.

For specs, Scott Myers' blog gives very detailed info for the specs he does cover, but he doesn't seem to cover all of them. I often see twice as many on the trackingboard, but maybe those are just options and he only covers sales?

Anyway, if you find something, or somewhere I can get some real dirt on reps -- a place where writers can chat about reps without fear of rats taking the cheese back their bosses -- please let me know. I have a the tea on a couple myself...

Comment

You mean kind of like the Reddit writers that get picked up every now and then (i.e. Two sentence horror stories, that Roman army action pic, etc.)? You did have a couple of funny posts this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X