Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #31
JoeNYC

Default Re: Note To Gucci: Mazin's Point On "Summing Up Your Characters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post

don’t risk It, rope the brisket.
Yikes. Now you've gone too far. Sorry, I must take away your screenwriting card.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #32
JoeNYC

Quote:
Yup... seems like Craig ultimately agreed with Jeff that it essentially 'DEPENDS.'
I won't believe it (being okay with summing up characters) until I actually hear it from Craig Mazin himself.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #33
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Agreed. I loved your character into on Carnivore.
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #34
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
Yikes. Now you've gone too far. Sorry, I must take away your screenwriting card.
Ha!

I had to go "over the top" in order to make my point: Why not speak like a Texan in the narrative? Personally, I'd find that entertaining. Especially if it's a comedy.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #35
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
In your CARNIVORE thread, with your protagonist’s character introduction, you’ve succeeded 100%. I have no notes to give you on that. You expressed a winning style, tone and voice.

TELLING is not wrong. It’s a personal preference by the writer. Sometimes a writer may choose to get across a character’s psychological nature and personality in a novelistic way by TELLING.

Craig Mazin hates when a writer does this, but when done well, it can be interesting and revealing.

For example, from AS GOOD AS IT GETS:

POV - MELVIN UDALL

in the hallway... Well past 50... unliked, unloved, unsettling. A huge pain in the ass to everyone he’s ever met. Right now all his considerable talent and strength is totally focused on seducing a tiny dog into the elevator door he holds open.

Character Introductions is not just about a character’s phsyical description. It’s about getting across who the character “is.” His nature.

For example, from EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS:

JOSHUA TAFT, (70s), scrutinizes the bug. This old codger is more comfortable studying bugs than socializing with people.

I suggest for a writer to strive to have a strong first impression with their character introductions because he wants to hook the reader to follow his character. He wants to hook an actor where he tells his agent I must play this character.

Character introductions are not just about descriptions. It’s also about how you introduce the character when he first appears on screen in the scene’s context.

For example, in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN:

Jack Sparrow sails into port like he’s the King of the world. Very heroic. It looks like he’s on a majestic ship, but it’s revealed he’s on a pitiful dingy that’s sinking. He jumps off onto the dock with perfect timing as the dingy goes under.

This entrance reveals character and personality. It expresses a charisma and assurness. It makes you want to follow this guy to see what he does next.
I like all of those character descriptions.

I like anything that's interesting.

Which brings up another interesting angle IMO. Whose POV are we writing the character intro from? I think that could be interesting. Like if it's a VO heavy opening (I tend to like VO if it's done well), what if the character introduces himself. Say, in House of Cards where they break the 4th wall, I think it could work. Maybe they did that in the pilot scrip, did they? Haven't read it.

POINT: I don't believe there's ONE WAY to intro your character. I'd find ANYTHING interesting and fresh if done well. So, thanks for bringing this up. You're giving me more ideas about ways to break rules in order to make it fresh! Ha!
Old 09-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #36
Bono

I don't know what's going on in this thread, but CM in real life is at The Emmys... so something tells me he won't be getting back to Joe anytime soon....

And as a Jew planning the new year meal, I've been talking about brisket all day. Subway has brisket now, which is scary as crap.

Note to Everyone: WE ALL SHOULD BE WRITING INSTEAD!
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #37
sc111

Quote:

POINT: I don't believe there's ONE WAY to intro your character. I'd find ANYTHING interesting and fresh if done well. So, thanks for bringing this up. You're giving me more ideas about ways to break rules in order to make it fresh! Ha!
Cool. Instead of you being effectively schooled on coloring inside the lines, the thread inspires ideas of more ways you can color outside the lines.

I think that qualifies as irony.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #38
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I don't know what's going on in this thread, but CM in real life is at The Emmys... so something tells me he won't be getting back to Joe anytime soon....
Ha! TRUTH! I wonder how many Emmys he's gonna walk away with. Something tells me he should bring a shopping cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
And as a Jew planning the new year meal, I've been talking about brisket all day.
Writing that made me hungry. So, I think it works! Ha!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #39
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
Cool. Instead of you being effectively schooled on coloring inside the lines, the thread inspires ideas of more ways you can color outside the lines.

I think that qualifies as irony.
HAHA! Right!?

Don't give me ideas about ways to break rules... I'll use 'em! LOL
Old 09-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #40
Bono

next script i'm just going to include pictures of what they look like. emojis instead?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote