X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2020

Originally posted by rs422a View Post
    I'm in.
    Congrats. That's pretty damn consistent performance. What kind of stuff do you write?

Anyway, I'm out too. One of mine got top 10% though so I guess that's cool.

Comment

What do I write? I write movies I'd like to see the way I'd like to see em.
      Last edited by rs422a; 07-30-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Whiff for me. They noted that a couple of my entries got positive reviews from first round readers, but that's not much comfort when you don't advance. Based on stuff I've entered over the years, they consistently prefer the more generic, safer scripts in my catalogue to my edgier/more offbeat material. Something to contemplate if I take another punt at it in 2021...

Anyway, good luck to everyone still in it.

Comment

Originally posted by rs422a View Post
          What do I write? I write movies I'd like to see the way I'd like to see em.
          Cool.

Comment

I write posts the way I want to write posts.

More importantly don't get depressed if you didn't make the cut as that's most writers. Many successful ones never did well in the Nicholl.

Comment

I'm out.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                Cool.
                Best response to that possible

Comment

I'm in with 1/3. And one of the others made 'next 100' which feels both good and bad, especially since that one was a semi-finalist last year and got me a manager.

Comment

If you already got a rep and did well - why enter again? I'm always confused by this.

Comment

Probably some low-probability marketing strategy in the off chance it wins and generates heat on the script.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        More importantly don't get depressed if you didn't make the cut as that's most writers. Many successful ones never did well in the Nicholl.
                        This is true.

And in case anyone is feeling low -- the Nicholl, like everything, is subjective.

I previously got into the QF with a script that didn't get ANY positive reads this time, not even one. Hahaha. It'll be interesting to read those comments.

Comment

The QF is what % of the field? Years ago when I entered I think it was top 300 out of like 7k entries. What is it these days?

Comment

Again, future advice, if you entered a script into a contest and got a positive result, don't enter it again thinking, this time it will do even better. You already got the QT or SEMI script, you can use that in a query. That's the main point of these contests -- not to win -- but to give confidence and maybe something to mention in a query.

It just points out how everything is subjective to the reader(s) you get. So were they wrong this time by not picking you or wrong last time for picking you so high? Neither. It's just an opinion.

However, most likely, if you did well in Nicholl in any way, you're script was well written.

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction
                              Sucks to be us, huh?...
                              Yes it does. It's one of my favorite scripts too. WTF?

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                              The QF is what % of the field? Years ago when I entered I think it was top 300 out of like 7k entries. What is it these days?
                              The percent stays the same. The QF are always the top 5 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                Again, future advice, if you entered a script into a contest and got a positive result, don't enter it again thinking, this time it will do even better. You already got the QT or SEMI script, you can use that in a query. That's the main point of these contests -- not to win -- but to give confidence and maybe something to mention in a query.

I bet Alisa Brophy and Scott Miles are glad they didn't take this advice.

Both my managers I got through getting Nicholl SF and them reaching out to me, not querying. Not to say querying can't work, it's just not how my placements have served me. Nicholl sending my logline out to their rolodex is worth my 25 bucks every time.

Comment

Working...
                                X