No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first Blacklist review - 8

Originally posted by Zed's_Dead View Post
    That's the right attitude to have. And it is a really good logline, actually. You could have even dropped "human" and left it as a kind of cliffhanger. But that's a good concept. The moral of the story, before you send out a script be sure it's good and can be sold by a logline.

I did get more traffic once my script was put on the quarterly list. But alas... I'd rather have direct contact with the people and get some feedback why they passed (that would be a value of the service if Franklin is still reading).

Good luck with it!
    Also, I actually really like your idea of leaving a cliffhanger in the logline. Maybe I will if this first query doesn't bear fruit. Much appreciated critique.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      I had way more traction making the top list by rolling straight 7s - I received emails from managers and assistants.
      Curious Satriales -- how high were you on the Top List (top portion, middle region, closer to the bottom)? And did the managers/assistants mention that they saw you on the Top List, which is why they e-mailed?
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
        Curious Satriales -- how high were you on the Top List (top portion, middle region, closer to the bottom)? And did the managers/assistants mention that they saw you on the Top List, which is why they e-mailed?
        It was top 10ish on the pilot side for a little while but it wasn't there long because an older review rolled off. I think it might still be like 20th for the rolling year or something like that now.

Yeah, I had a couple reach out that said they read it on the Blacklist and a couple said someone passed it on to them from the Blacklist.

Comment

Okay, thanks.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
            Actually, I think it was closer to 95%. Lauri did an analysis 2 years ago. It was number of 8's that resulted in manager/agent/producer interest. You then pointed that it didn't include success stories that weren't reported.

Maybe it's changed. Can you calculate that percentage now?
            Honestly, it's an impossible number to calculate which is why I challenged it. Lauri's analysis was based on data during the first year of the site (we've been live for 3.5 years now) and included only the publicized signings, not manager/agent/producer interest, which is obviously much more frequent.

Frankly I wouldn't even hazard a guess because it's impossible to track which writers who have submitted their script have had conversations with folks in the industry created by the site. I only found out that Isaac Adamson (who wrote the #1 script on the 2015 Black List) had been discovered by his manager via the site based on a previous script from a year prior a week after the annual list came out in December.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
              had been discovered by his manager via the site
              Isaak doesn't look like an unconnected newbie...
              --------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Adamson

All four of his Billy Chaka novels were published by HarperCollins. They are currently out of print. His novel Complication was published by Counterpoint Press.

Adamson's first novel, Tokyo Suckerpunch, was to be made into a film by Sony Pictures Entertainment, starring Tobey Maguire in the role of Billy Chaka.

Complication, a thriller set in Prague, was a nominee for the Mystery Writers of America's 2013 Edgar Awards in the Best Paperback Original category.
              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 05-25-2016, 12:50 PM. Reason: Formatting.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                Honestly, it's an impossible number to calculate which is why I challenged it. Lauri's analysis was based on data during the first year of the site (we've been live for 3.5 years now) and included only the publicized signings, not manager/agent/producer interest, which is obviously much more frequent.

Frankly I wouldn't even hazard a guess because it's impossible to track which writers who have submitted their script have had conversations with folks in the industry created by the site. I only found out that Isaac Adamson (who wrote the #1 script on the 2015 Black List) had been discovered by his manager via the site based on a previous script from a year prior a week after the annual list came out in December.
                I don't have a dog in this fight, but would it really be *impossible* to track the success (which can mean a lot of things) of writers who have submitted to the site? Why can't you have a yearly survey? It probably wouldn't change the pitchfork and torch mentality of some folks but a little transparency is better than a shrug.
                "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Why can't you have a yearly survey? It probably wouldn't change the pitchfork and torch mentality of some folks but a little transparency is better than a shrug.
                  I do not think that "transparency" is the word to describe what you want to accomplish.

But, passing beyond that ...

People disappear and cannot be contacted for a survey. They do not respond. They have post-BL experiences that do not readily fit into a category of some kind.

And, most importantly, they will not be happy, no matter what you do in terms of a survey.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbopolis View Post
                    --------------------

All four of his Billy Chaka novels were published by HarperCollins. They are currently out of print. His novel Complication was published by Counterpoint Press.

Adamson's first novel, Tokyo Suckerpunch, was to be made into a film by Sony Pictures Entertainment, starring Tobey Maguire in the role of Billy Chaka.

Complication, a thriller set in Prague, was a nominee for the Mystery Writers of America's 2013 Edgar Awards in the Best Paperback Original category.
                    I've been plenty critical of certain aspects of the BL, but to be fair, getting a book published does not mean you automatically have "connections" in Hollywood. I had a small book published by Knopf before. It's apples and oranges for the most part.

A lot of the author's books are out of print, meaning they weren't best sellers or they'd still be in print (which is different than say, Gillian Flynn having the negotiating power to write the script for her bestseller Gone Girl for Fincher to direct). It doesn't say HE was writing the Tobey McGuire project. And having his next book out in paperback isn't the same as the push you get with a hardcover -- nor does it automatically have anything to do with film.

If he was "connected" he wouldn't have been on the BL hawking his script, he would've been using his connections.

Good for him for continuing to write and breaking through.

Comment

Looks like my second eval was finally assigned to a reader around day 50. We'll see how long he/she takes to download it. It's been 3 days so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                        I do not think that "transparency" is the word to describe what you want to accomplish.

But, passing beyond that ...

People disappear and cannot be contacted for a survey. They do not respond. They have post-BL experiences that do not readily fit into a category of some kind.

And, most importantly, they will not be happy, no matter what you do in terms of a survey.
                        Agreed. I just thought it was a simple way to quiet down some of the yapping.
                        "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
                          Agreed. I just thought it was a simple way to quiet down some of the yapping.
                          There is a blog where they have posted interviews with some of their success stories:

https://blog.blcklst.com/tagged/black-list-interview

It's not a comprehensive list, because I know of a few who aren't on there.

(It's weird; I did an interview for them and it isn't showing up on that list, but I was one of the writers who found success through the site.)

Comment

Originally posted by Turbopolis View Post
                            --------------------

Never claimed he was. He was, however, unrepresented when Lee Stobby found his script on the site and signed him. Thereafter, he wrote BUBBLES, which ended up being the #1 script on the 2015 annual list.

Comment

I received my second eval this morning. It was a 5 (first was 8).

I know that feedback is subjective, and I actually think the reader made some valid points (although I disagree with some), but I don't think the numerical scores correctly reflect the review. Whatever. I made the top quarterly list, so that's a plus.

I was offered a discounted eval ($40) for the large deviation in scores - no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
                                I received my second eval this morning. It was a 5 (first was 8).

I know that feedback is subjective, and I actually think the reader made some valid points (although I disagree with some), but I don't think the numerical scores correctly reflect the review. Whatever. I made the top quarterly list, so that's a plus.

I was offered a discounted eval ($40) for the large deviation in scores - no thanks.
                                Damn, 5 is tough. Closure has to be relieving though. Have you garnered any attention for the script outside of the BL with your queries?

My reader seems to be really confused with how this whole "download" thing works.

Comment

Working...
                                X