Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question about TrackingB contest...

I agree with all your points in reference to real world readers. Not contest readers, for the reason that I stated earlier, i.e., it would be too easy for contest readers to blow a script off after a page and collect their fee. Because, there's really no upside for them beyond getting paid and maybe learning a little bit more about what makes good writing. A real world reader has something invested in a script being good--they get to be the hero who discovers it. A contest reader, not so much.

So, I think it makes sense to impose requirements on contest readers that they demonstrate they have actually looked at something.

Maybe it's not the entire script, maybe it's just the first act, but I think it should be the entire script. That's their job.

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
    Regarding readers reading entire script,

If someone doesn't like your script by page 25, do you think reading further is going to change their mind?

Why would you want to force a reader to finish your script if they hate it? Do you want to make the reader suffer through your script simply because you paid money? The chances of someone changing their mind about a script after 25 pages are slim to none.

Solution, write a script that makes the reader want to finish it whether they're paid to read or not. Those are the scripts people are looking for and the vast majority of aspiring screenwriters will never write one of those scripts.

When you show people your pages, are they actually wanting to read more? If not, save your money and wait to enter contests until after you've found some colleagues/peers who can't put your script down, or at the very least they find it easy to keep reading. IMO.

The idea of forcing readers to suffer through your script to the end seems pointless. From a reader's standpoint, you know real soon if the script is a winner, and you have lots more scripts to read. So, it's on to the next one long before you reach "the end", unless the writing/story is extremely good, then you stay with it all the way and are excited to share that rare gem with others.

Our job as writers is to make the reader want to stay to the end, and not to cry foul when our script isn't written in a way that compels them to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
      One of the best ways -- if not the best way -- to discern if a product or service is worth your time and money is access to unsolicited customer feedback/word of mouth. It's the most powerful and accurate advertising in the world.

What I see here are many "customers" of The Insider highly recommending his contest, his helpfulness, his attentiveness and his commitment to writers who enter his contest.

From a marketing standpoint this is a manna from heaven. And I'm certain there are many lurkers who, after reading this thread, will enter the trackingb contest, happily. Kudos to The Insider for earning great word of mouth. Because you can't fabricate this type of testimonial.

However, we still have a few doubting Thomases who refuse to take the word of fellow writers who have experience with the contest, or industry pros who vouch for The Insider. They insist on more transparency. They want names. They want more deets. They want something to justify the higher-than-average entry fee other than guaranteed manager representation.

When I get potential clients/customers who hammer me like this before committing I know it's all about the money and they don't want to pay my fee. They may not even be aware of it themselves. They convince themselves its about due diligence and buyer beware, but it's not. It's about the money.

Here's a strategy for painlessly setting aside the entry fee. Every evening, for 30 days, put $2.50 in a jar labeled "trackingb." And during those 30 days, polish your script and get it contest ready. Easy peasy.
      Well, yes and no. What the Insider is getting positive word of mouth about is how well he treats the very few winners; what people are expressing doubts about is the process of selecting those winners, about which he is oddly opaque. However, as Emily points out, he is entirely up-front about his terms as well as his charges, so this is not a reasonable ground to cast doubt about his honesty.

I wouldn't enter TrackingB - but, then, the only contests I would recommend to others are Nicholl (because it is, by common consent, the best as well as the cheapest) and Bluecat for the cheap feedback, which I've nearly always found useful for the earlier drafts of my scripts. In moments of weakness I have entered a script in one or two others, but this proved just as pointless as I expected it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
        Regarding readers reading entire script,

If someone doesn't like your script by page 25, do you think reading further is going to change their mind?

Why would you want to force a reader to finish your script if they hate it? Do you want to make the reader suffer through your script simply because you paid money? The chances of someone changing their mind about a script after 25 pages are slim to none.

Solution, write a script that makes the reader want to finish it whether they're paid to read or not. Those are the scripts people are looking for and the vast majority of aspiring screenwriters will never write one of those scripts.

When you show people your pages, are they actually wanting to read more? If not, save your money and wait to enter contests until after you've found some colleagues/peers who can't put your script down, or at the very least they find it easy to keep reading. IMO.

The idea of forcing readers to suffer through your script to the end seems pointless. From a reader's standpoint, you know real soon if the script is a winner, and you have lots more scripts to read. So, it's on to the next one long before you reach "the end", unless the writing/story is extremely good, then you stay with it all the way and are excited to share that rare gem with others.

Our job as writers is to make the reader want to stay to the end, and not to cry foul when our script isn't written in a way that compels them to do so.
        I agree. My only reservation (particularly with the first ten pages version) is that it sometimes appears to make writers write badly - cramming loads of things in those first ten pages to make them exciting, when really it just makes them chaotic, confusing and thin. It's also impossible to sustain, so the script seems to run out of steam. All that's needed is one thing to hook the reader - someone to care about, something to worry about, something to puzzle about etc - or at least that's what it takes for me to carry on watching a movie when I've got the option to stop.

Comment

Bump.

You don't win any prizes at TrackingB. But if your script places, the Insider will promote you to a slew of agents and managers (and probably get you signed), which will then likely launch your career as it has for many prior finalists, and may even get you sold to CBS with Spielberg attached as a producer. Go Extant!

TrackingB's reputation and industry entry is Nicholl's level, just with thousands fewer entrants for you to compete against. It's a no brainer if you're looking to break in and you think you have a great script.

Final deadline is October 27th!

Comment

Thrill speaks the truth! I am excited to see who the winners will be this year.
            Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

I think its a matter of personal interest if someone is going to enter a certain contest. Money plays a big part in that and it can turn some people off, and not bother others. I think wanting the contest to be nearly transparent about how the entire thing is run from top to bottom is just a way to talk themselves out of entering the contest because in the end, it was that price that had them from the start backing away.

Comment

*entered 2*

got my free site subscription, and fingers crossed on the entries!

Comment

To those individuals who participated in the TrackingB contest, did you also participate in the Tracking Board (Launch Pad contest) as well? If so, how was it?

PS - I get confused with those two sites, the latter needs a name change lol.

Comment

Not sure if you have a subscription to the Tracking Board site and what info you can see, but four people optioned or sold their scripts through the contest, and I think about ten people got signed - I'm guessing this makes it the most important contest out there now (as The Blacklist isn't technically a contest)

If you have the money, your top three choices (IMHO) are Tracking Board, TrackingB, and The Blacklist.

Tracking Board just launched a TV pilot contest, too. Get on it.

Comment

Did notifications already go out? I thought I read somewhere that TB notifies before Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                        Did notifications already go out? I thought I read somewhere that TB notifies before Christmas.
                        Typically it's been in January usually in the front half of the month.

Only finalist/honorable mentions will get emails.
                        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks, Ducky!

Comment

Results have been announced! http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=28509 I didn't enter Trackingb this year, but congrats go out to all of those who placed! Seems like relatively quiet fanfare...?
                            FADE IN:
                            PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                            NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

No Dummy sounds friggin' brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Hat View Post
                                No Dummy sounds friggin' brilliant.
                                If I could pick one to read, that's the one I'd go with. Verne Troyer needs this script!
                                FADE IN:
                                PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                                NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Working...
                                X