Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best psychological thrillers?

What's your favorite psychological thriller or movie? Just looking for some inspiration on intelligent antagonists.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: The best psychological thrillers?

Give the original The Vanishing a watch. That's pretty psychological and pretty thrilling.

Comment

A little known French film - Tell No One.
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
        A little known French film - Tell No One.
        The good thing with foreign films is that you don't see how awful the acting is. Trust me, it's bad. Real bad.
        Last edited by Takeshiro; 03-11-2012, 02:03 AM.
        The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshiro View Post
          The good thing with foreign films is that you don't see how awful the acting is. Trust me, it's bad. Real bad.
          93% on Rotten Tomatoes
          http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ne_le_dis_a_personne/

Comments:
          "Hot-blooded, haunting and packed with the pleasures of the unexpected."

"Tell everyone about Tell No One. Not just because this is a top-notch thriller so twisty you may forget to breathe."

"An intense, well-crafted thriller, Tell No One is equal parts heart-pounding and heart-wrenching."

"Guillaume Canet's delicious contemporary thriller Tell No One is Vertigo meets The Fugitive by way of The Big Sleep. That is meant as high praise."

"It's Cluzet's intense performance that makes this genre piece a heart-wrenching experience."

"Tell No One" is as eloquent as it is intricate - a superior depiction of crime, corruption, shame and secrecy."

And from Mark Kermode:
          "this classy psychological suspense thriller cranks up the tension with episodes of energetic action, including a terrific back-street chase that plays like The French Connection ... a pied! Kristin Scott Thomas offers edgy emotional support but it's Cluzet's own despair, hope and confusion that hold the attention"

So no, I don't trust you.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

"The best psychological thrillers?'

http://www.imdb.fr/title/tt0046268/
            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

It's true thought, that generally acting always seems better in foreign films. If you don't know the language and the culture, you don't notice as easily when it's actually bad.

Finnish films typically get praised for their acting by foreign press. For us locals, dialogue and acting often seems unnatural.

Comment

Yea I saw "Tell No One" a few years ago. I liked it.
                One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                  It's true thought, that generally acting always seems better in foreign films. If you don't know the language and the culture, you don't notice as easily when it's actually bad.
                  I think the opposite. Because you don't know the language, you only have the acting iself to go on - the expressions, the reactions, the tonality in the voice. Just like a blind man who finds his other senses heightened, when understanding of language is removed, all other aspects of the actors' performances are elevated to greater prominence.

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                  Yea I saw "Tell No One" a few years ago. I liked it.
                  Good good.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

There's a big difference between written French and spoken French and it's true that a lot of acting can come across as very unnatural to people who speak it fluently. Nobody talks like people in Rohmer flicks.

The one line in French in KILL BILL, when French chick with chopped off arm gets shoved in the truck, comes out sounding like "I shan't tell you a thing!"

But overall I would say the acting has gotten much more natural in French flicks in the last decade or so.

Speaking of French films and psychological thrillers, LES DIABOLIQUES is kick-ass.

Comment

Clouzot's DIABOLIQUE.
                      He who laughs last is mentally slow

Comment

Well...lessee...just saw "Brake" last night done by your compatriots here on DDP. If you want a seminar on how to do a contained psychological thriller -- iTunes rent that.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                          93% on Rotten Tomatoes
                          http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ne_le_dis_a_personne/
                          So no, I don't trust you.
                          Dear lord, are you telling me that non fluent French speakers, who mostly read subs, will prove that the acting is good?
                          Are you really quotting rotten tomatoes (mostly american critics) to prove that the acting is good?
                          Every french moviegoers knows that the acting is awful. Even non native speakers, such as Rantanplan, knows that.
                          And your theory is more than flawed : you didn't get that the tone was never right in Tell no one.
                          But year, right, Rotten.

The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Dear lord, are you telling me that non fluent French speakers, who mostly read subs, will prove that the acting is good?
                            Are you really quotting rotten tomatoes (mostly american critics) to prove that the acting is good?
                            Every french moviegoers knows that the acting is awful. Even non native speakers, such as Rantanplan, knows that.
                            And your theory is more than flawed : you didn't get that the tone was never right in Tell no one.
                            But year, right, Rotten.

Reread. Everything I said is already there. Read it, accept it, ignore it. Your choice. As for your comment about French moviegoers - they sent Tell No One to the top of the box office in France.

And just to reiterate, acting is more than dialogue. Your stance is flawed because you're stating that non native French speakers are not only incapable of recognising the quality of acting but are also susecptible - to a man - to being duped. Guess all those who praise Kurosawa and Bergman are wrong too, huh? Can't possibly judge if a guy emotes fear, heartache, anger convincingly because they can't speak the lingo.

Even if you want to ignore the fact that the film has a rating of 93% on RT, 83% on Metacritic, and is universally lauded by critics you can't ignore the fact that it took $17m during a 4 week run at the French BO and won four categories at the 2007 César Awards in France: Best Director (Guillaume Canet), Best Actor (François Cluzet), Best Editing and Best Music Written for a Film.

At the end of the day, you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want. And from the facts alone, I'm in the right camp.
                            Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 03-11-2012, 10:08 AM.
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Aren't they remaking this? I remember seeing De Niro attached to an American adaptation of Tell No One.

Comment

Working...
                              X