Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
BIG Z
User

Default What titles/positions do you query at prodcos?

Totally green question, but do you try to get a query in front of the Creative Director...VP of Development...Creative Executive...?
BIG Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
SoCalScribe

Default Re: What titles/positions do you query at prodcos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Z View Post
Totally green question, but do you try to get a query in front of the Creative Director...VP of Development...Creative Executive...?
The entire Development (or Creative Affairs) department handles the consideration of material, but query letters are usually the province of the lower-level administrators and executives: Story Editor, Creative Executive, Director of Development (Creative Affairs), etc. You don't often have VP-level and up handling query letters, unless it's a very small company where there are only a couple people in each department. When you get to a company where there are many people in a development department, the less experienced junior execs get the queries and specs to sift through, and the more established senior execs usually focus on making deals with established talent and shepherding projects through active development.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
BIG Z
User

Thanks! Very helpful information.

Now, if I could only find an organized way to weed through 3300 prodcos to find the ones who might be interested in my script, then find a way to contact the people you mentioned...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
fisherman
User

Quote:
Thanks! Very helpful information.

Now, if I could only find an organized way to weed through 3300 prodcos to find the ones who might be interested in my script, then find a way to contact the people you mentioned...
Yeah, that's the darnded onesideness of it all, and one of the many reasons they call this business a crapshoot.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
MacG

You're bound to run into a ton of "no-unsolicted-material-accepted" rejections, which is why it's always imperative to be extremely polite to whomever answers the phone.

When I was just starting out sans-representation over a decade ago (God, I can't believe it's been that long...), I was able to turn more than a few of those "nopes" into "yeses" by simply explaining my situation.

Being gracious is always important, though: the receptionist today may be the CE within the next few months. Seriously, you just never know who is going to ascend the ladder or how fast. Everyone should be treated as a potential contact.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
BIG Z
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
You're bound to run into a ton of "no-unsolicted-material-accepted" rejections, which is why it's always imperative to be extremely polite to whomever answers the phone.
Do you advocate calling production companies then over email queries? Or even calling reps?

Don't worry...decades come and go
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
MacG

E-mail is the best, of course, but back in 1999, I didn't have access to the addresses I needed. So I made a lot of phone calls. And sometimes phone calls work in the sense you can't be ignored or deleted, as is way too easy with an unsolicited e-mail query.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
E-mail is the best, of course, but back in 1999...
Them was the days. Not that I was writing in them days.

But recently I came across the following. Check the URL to see where it's from. Some TV writers list archived from 2001. Most of the data's useless because, even where the companies have websites, they're still using AOL and earthlink emails!

There's a gap from about 65 to 100, but most of 100 to 900 is there. I scanned quite a bit but eventually concluded none of it was useful. I thought I might find some buried email structures or something.

For you old-timers, you might find some of the now-defunct company info, and the who's working with whom, to be of interest or amusement...

Production Companies, etc.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
BIG Z
User

This begs a question I should (and probably will) ask in it's own thread: how DO you (or DOES one) go about intelligently, methodically sorting through the chaos of prodcos?

IMDb Pro lists over 3100 entries worldwide. I don't write popcorn/tent pole style stuff (yet) - mostly scripts with budgets under $5 million (we'll call them "cable movies"). How do I locate that sweet spot, that Goldilocks-perfect fit, in between the majors and major-minors and the wannabes, has beens, and never wases?

Somebody get me Bill Martell on the phone!!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
sppeterson

Quote:
This begs a question I should (and probably will) ask in it's own thread: how DO you (or DOES one) go about intelligently, methodically sorting through the chaos of prodcos?
On IMDbPro create a search covering the last several years that finds films in your genre and around your budget range, then query the producers and production companies that made those films.

It's a real grind, but it will generate some reads.

It's also good to be Canadian.