Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
SCRIPTMONK!!!
User

Default Re: What titles/positions do you query at prodcos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Z View Post
This begs a question I should (and probably will) ask in it's own thread: how DO you (or DOES one) go about intelligently, methodically sorting through the chaos of prodcos?
Here's how I did it. Granted, I only did this a little over a month ago and it is yet to bear fruit, but I managed to whittle down 3300 to about 180.

Go to your local library and ask for the most recent edition of the Hollywood Creative Directory. If you live in LA, go to the main downtown library. If you live outside of LA or NY, you might have to buy a copy or subscribe to their website. The HCD lists the information on every production company worth a tinker's damn, plus some who aren't. If they don't accept unsolicited, most will state it flat out in the section under "submission policy" so you can weed them out right away. You will even find a number who encourage unsolicited material. Along with their contact info, they all list produced credits. If their credits sound like the type of stuff that your script would fit into, jot their name down.

Take your list and do some research in imdb to find some details on the company's credits. This will help cut your list almost in half as you find who really has tastes that are similar to your script, and who hasn't produced anything since a straight to video short film in 1988.

Return to the library and the HCD. Look up the names on your list of keepers and find the name and contact information of the lowest ranking person in the development department. If they give the name of a story editor, send him/her. If they give a creative exec, use that. A lot of companies don't list anyone lower than a Senior VP, or maybe not even that. That either means they are too damn big and your might need to do more research, or they are small company with big titles.

It takes a long time and its a pain in the ass, but that's what I did.
SCRIPTMONK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Thanks! Very helpful information.

Now, if I could only find an organized way to weed through 3300 prodcos to find the ones who might be interested in my script, then find a way to contact the people you mentioned...
you should plan on attending one of the big pitchfests this year. the companies who participate tell you what they're looking for right now. that's the information you need.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Totally green question, but do you try to get a query in front of the Creative Director...VP of Development...Creative Executive...?
Just don't address the intended recipient as "Dear Industry Professional"...
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
PrestonW
User

... I've had luck with queries to "Industry Professionals." If you have no alternative, why not?
PrestonW is offline   Reply With Quote