Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
LauriD

Default Info on producer Ross Otterman?

Anyone know about him or worked with him?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2101260/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
abiqua
Regular

Default Re: Info on producer Ross Otterman?

I'm interested in info on him, too. He is showing interest in one of my action thrillers. His company is Nomenclature.
abiqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
RobWriter
User

He's a real nice guy to talk with.

In my experience with him - he's a zero $ option guy. With my script, he initially passed on it - liked it, but didn't think he could do anything with it. However, he came back a few months later saying he had a director/actor interested and some potential avenues for financing. He wanted to option the script for 6 months to see if he could put something together.

It wasn't a direction I wanted to go at that time, so I declined.

I do remember not liking his option contract - way too many pages and clauses for what he wanted to do. But - we never got into negotiations over that - so I don't know if he would have been amenable to the changes I was going to propose.
RobWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
Buckster
New User

Hi guys, first time posting here. I actually just optioned my script with Ross (basically a free option). He has a good amount of credits to his name so I figured I'd take a chance.

First off, he is super nice and agreed to all of the minor changes my lawyer made to his contract. As luck would have it, another company that I'd sent my script to got back to me a week after I'd optioned it saying that they wanted it. Now to be fair I really don't know if they would have offered me anything for the option or not, so I can't say if I made a bad decision or not yet. I'm actually trying to see if he would like to bring them on board to help move things along (he says he's open to it). It's still early (I optioned it with him about a month ago) so again, I can't say if it was a good decision or not yet. He doesn't call when we arrange to speak which has me concerned (he's filming overseas and seems really busy) but he's been in constant contact with me via email.

Again if he acquires the financing and gets our movie made, and I receive the big check, he will be my hero. If not I'll feel as though I made a huge mistake. I will keep you guys updated as to the progress of the project. Wish me luck.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
warrenwilson
New User

Good luck. And please do post any progress on that...

I for one would love to hear if a $0 option ever works out. It's really, really hard for an unrepped, non-connected first-timer to refuse any option, money or no money, 6 months or however long, though that's often the advice you get.
warrenwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Buckster
New User

Thanks WW. Yeah, even with a manager it's difficult to option a script for cash nowadays. I don't know what the ratio of free options that actually get made vs those that don't are, but I'd wager it's really low. I do worry that producers do it simply to have a folder of scripts at the ready, just in case.

I have a really marketable script in a very popular genre (and actually had some bites AFTER I already signed the free option), so if it does not pan out, I will be beyond disappointed and a big crusader against the "Free Option"

Wish me luck my friend, I will let you know how it goes!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote